Nebraska athletics not a fan of Fox Sports' "Children of the Corn" send-up

1 minute ago, IA State Husker said:

I see quite a few parallels there, as well as some visual similarities in the Michigan and Penn State promos (horror movie environment themes).

Whatever.  You have your opinion and i'm not trying to change it.

I'm happy the AD asked for it to be pulled.  Nothing will change that either

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/08/foxs_big_ten_football_team_pro.html

A writer in Cleveland just rated all the ads on how "murdery" they are.  Nebraska won:

Indiana

Hoosiers. Basketball. Blah.

Murder index: 0

Maryland

Your flag is so ugly ... it makes opponents throw up? The threat of death doesn't hang over this one, but the sight of a state's flag literally weakening the opponent is giving a piece of cloth a lot of credit.

Murder index: 0.2

Northwestern

Bad, because it doesn't really make sense. Northwestern's smart, so they ... control your mind? What? This sounds like the last one finished, where somebody got hung up on the smart thing and didn't know where to go.

Murder index: 0.3

Purdue

Missed a chance for a mustachioed villain to tie an opponent to the track to be run over by the run. Fox certainly regrets that missed murder opportunity. If you kid likes trains, well, there's a train.

Murder index: 0.9

Rutgers

Pretty weak about Knights. Given how most of the promos went, can't believe this wasn't about The Sopranos. But to take a shot at snooty, elite knights, and then proudly proclaim Rutgers is a place for Knights that "aren't born with anything" - that's not getting me fired up for Rutgers.

Murder index: 1.4

Ohio State

This was the first one I watched and I thought, you know, that's a little dark for a college football ad. But in comparison ... not so much. It does at least seem to make a point about the lack of design on the helmets. "Cover it with your misery," is an awkward turn of phrase, though. Hey, it's cold outside, you gonna wear a hat? No, I thought I'd just cover my head with your misery.

Murder index: 2

Illinois

Haunted, but they don't quite imply that the ghost of Red Grange will actually, you know, murder you. But are you sure you want to walk past the Grange statue outside Memorial Stadium now? 

Murder index: 2.2

Wisconsin

They're going to jump until the stadium falls apart and crushes you. They'll claim it's an accident, but you'll know it's murder. Jump Around is a great tradition, though, and this does give you a sense for Wisconsin more than, for instance, a promo about an ugly flag or a snooty knight.

Murder index: 5

Iowa

It's about Iowa's pink locker room for visitors, and after watching this, I'm fairly certain it's pink because they mixed white paint with the blood of the visitors. Creepy, implied possible murder. The story of the pink locker room is widely known and an Iowa staple, but never has it been so linked to the idea that you might be tortured in there.

Murder index: 7

Michigan State

Michigan State is going to shoot you with arrows and stab you with swords. It might be under the cover of war, and not murder, but you're definitely going to die. And the Greek phrase Molon Labe has been been used on Michigan State uniforms, but when I heard it I thought maybe it was the name of an outside linebacker. 

Murder index: 8

Penn State

Basically, this guy is trapped in a blizzard and is going to freeze to death. If someone drove him out into the storm and dropped him off, yeah, that's murder. The White Out is another well-known Big Ten tradition cited here, but I'd rather do more with the kids jumping around than a guy stumbling in the snow.

Murder index: 8.5

Michigan

A three-limbed Wolverine, after a self-amputation by mouth, is going to hunt you down. And, ah, murder you.

Murder index: 9

Minnesota

They are going to smile at you and then PUT YOU IN A WOOD CHIPPER. Some fans on Twitter complained that this was modeled on the movie Fargo, and the city of Fargo is in North Dakota. But to be fair, most of the movie is set in Minnesota. And I'm sure people in Minnesota never ... get ... tired ... of ... that ... reference.

Murder index: 9.9

Nebraska

Yeah, you're going to be killed in a cornfield, Children of the Corn style. That's some extra level murder. This isn't going over very well in Nebraska. But let's be honest, when you think of college football, who doesn't want to associate it with Stephen King-created ritual sacrifice?

Murder index: 10

• Plus1 4
On 8/29/2017 at 10:24 AM, StPaulHusker said:

I'm glad they asked for it to come down.  This is just another step in the direction of Nebraska being more assertive in being treated the way they want to be treated in the B1G.  I'm glad the AD is advocating for us so much.

Get off your high horse.  If you want Nebraska to be more assertive in how they are being treated, they should be showing this more so on the field and not getting their feelings hurt on a slick marketing ad

23 hours ago, Landlord said:

First idea I came up with in 30 seconds would play off the sea of red. Suffocating, drowning, no hope for rescue. Every direction you look, red as far as you can see. Blood in the water. Nobody can hear your screams. You lose your sense of direction, you forget your purpose as you're assaulted by the waves. You're scared. This is the end for you. yadda yadda.

I think that's a pretty decent idea, and since FS1 paid an ad agency thousands and thousands of dollars for people to spend a lot more time coming up with stuff a lot better, color me disappointed in the final product :P

Can you do this... This needs to be a thing.