Let's cut to the chase

marko polo

1 minute ago, marko polo said:

so when you spew your opinion on here isn't that what you are doing

No. I'm entering into the discussion knowing that not everyone shares my opinion nor do I expect them to. I will argue my position and present evidence to support my stance, but I don't claim I'm being more realistic or that others are blind.

Just now, RedDenver said:

No. I'm entering into the discussion knowing that not everyone shares my opinion nor do I expect them to. I will argue my position and present evidence to support my stance, but I don't claim I'm being more realistic or that others are blind.

I didn't say anybody was , I just asked for people not to be.

• Plus1 1

On 9/3/2017 at 11:35 AM, marko polo said:

In all honesty now with no spin or bulls$$t do we look like a team that is heading out of the quagmire of mediocrity we have become. A team that has a china mans chance in hell of contending for the league title any time soon.

Now take the blinders off and be HONEST!!!!!!!

OP QFT.

Okay so let's parse this a little bit:

What you appear to be doing is asking for "honesty".  No "spin or bullsh#t", just real down to earth hand-on-the-Bible "honesty".  Because we know that what is most important to you here is that people remain truly honest in expressing their real feelings.

Which is truly well and good.  Honesty is a great virtue to have, we all strive for it every day I am certain.  HOWEVER...

You are adding conditional terms to your appeal right from the start.  You are asking for "no spin or bullsh#t" and to "take the blinders off".  This implies that the default position (or at the very least the position that is counter to your presumed one) is one that is formed with spin, bullsh#t or impeded by the use of blinders.  The matter is further complicated because there is no authority given to just exactly who is the ultimate arbiter of honesty - nor what is considered truly spin, bullsh#t or blinded.  Presumably that arbiter by default is you, the OP.  This grants you the authority to simply say "no, you're wrong" to whoever disagrees with what is your undefined position.  Not really productive in any way, more like a type of self-gratification.

The end product is not a thread that is conducive to productive, healthy debate.  It is - rather - a thread that is (or already has) devolved into a flame war full of base and ignorant arguments.  Probably destined for ad hominem attacks of which I suspect the OP was intending to incite in the first place.  I also doubt that if (by some admittedly miraculous turn of events) the Huskers manage to start the season off 8-0 or 9-0 @marko polo would be willing to posit this exact same question, asking for truly honest no spin or bullsh#t, no blinders debate over whether this team has s "chinaman's chance in hell" of contending for the league title.  Unfortunately we may not get the chance to test this theory.  But I digress...

So in order to give you an honest response to your query, not that it matters in the least AT ALL what I think - I truly understand that nobody gives a rat's ass but I'll try anyway.  Maybe some decent discussion can come of it:

As it stands right now, no.  This is not a team that appears to be making any kind of real progress towards contending for a league title.  Simply because it's very clear that the defense is a work in the very early stages of progress, penalties seem to also be an issue.  It also appears to be a team that doesn't appear to be regressing from their 9 win plateau either.  While that is frustrating to most of us at least we aren't Texas and making 4 win seasons more of the norm than the exception.

The season is still in its infancy though.  Football is a funny game and with parity in the game what it is these days a little luck with injuries here and a funny bounce of the ball there we very well could get on that magic carpet ride.  I, for one, will enjoy that ride no matter where it takes me.  Probably because no matter how loud I holler "run the damn ball" or how angrily I post on message boards how clock management is a problem I am aware that I am not in control of what happens in any way.  I also know that not getting to 9 wins is probably a big step in the direction of canning Riley (and probably Eichorst too) and getting coach Frost to come back home.  So win or lose there is some reason for hope.

But that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

• Plus1 2

On 9/3/2017 at 10:46 AM, marko polo said:

If you honestly thought we were going to go undefeated last yr, then you are either a HUGE homer or don't know jack about football

The fact that you want to draw a lot of conclusions after one game, shows that you really don't no jack about football.  

On 9/3/2017 at 11:35 AM, marko polo said:

In all honesty now with no spin or bulls$$t do we look like a team that is heading out of the quagmire of mediocrity we have become. A team that has a china mans chance in hell of contending for the league title any time soon.

Now take the blinders off and be HONEST!!!!!!!

Let's just say we all did agree with you.  

Now what?

• Mavric locked this topic