1998 Season Opener

As frustrating as the LA Tech game was, Tech only scored 6 on us in the 1st half, and we were up 35-6 before they starting going wild. We won the game 56-27, and played 63 different players.

Troy Edwards was not faster then Newcombe Edwards ran a  4.57 second 40 at the combine, and Newcombe ran a 4.54 40 at the combine. IMO Newcombe lost a couple tenths in his 40 time after his knee injury.  As far as the fastest guy to ever run on Memorial turf, Fabian Washington holds the record for the fastest Husker 40 yard dash at the combine (4.29 seconds). 

I hated Bohl's coverage philosophy that first game, and I never changed my mind.

17 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Does anybody else remember the 1998 season opener?  We had a cupcake,  Louisiana Tech, come to Lincoln for our usual opening day sacrifice.  A nobody named Troy Edwards came into town and caught 21 passes for 405 yards.  They threw for 590 that day.  For younger Husker fans, that is not a typo.  We finished a respectable 9-4.  

R-E-L-A-X

Well in 1998, Husker fans didn't find that 9-4 season respectable at all, and they certainly weren't relaxed about tying for second in the North Division.

But let's see how this season plays out. 

17 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I asked him about that.  He smiled and didn't reply.  It hurt him.  It still does.  

18 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yes the fans did not welcome Mr. Frost with open arms after the debacle in the Arizona desert.   But, there were plenty of folks who were not all that eager to welcome him BACK to Nebraska after he snubbed the Huskers the first time.  He turned us down to go play QB for Bill Walsh as he had visions of being the next Joe Montana.   So, on his return, many were willing to forgive until in his first triumphant start, he throws the ball on the ground and we stunk up the field, sinking our three peat out of the gate.  And had he come to Nebraska as a freshman, we likely would have won 4 straight as he would not have been a transfer former safety moved to play QB.  He quickly became known as "Frosty the throwman" and many wondered if the team would have literally tossed him off the plane on the way back from Arizona.   His role in the Lawrence Phillips story doesn't help his legacy either.   But for most, foregiveness has come and its just history now.  

Yep. Agree

37 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I would take 9-4 this year.  You?

I don't have the choice. We have to take what we're given and figure out how we feel about it then.

I'm just suggesting 1998 may not be much of a blueprint for what comes next. 

Maybe the Arkansas State game isn't that big of an indicator, either. 

But it wasn't crazy to expect more from this defense in a tune up game against a non-contender.

So while I'm not exactly freaking out, I see no reason to relax. 

17 hours ago, unlfan said:

Honestly think that team could have competed for National Title by end of year. We were top 5 caliber by the end of season. Not saying we deserved it because we're weren't that good all year long, but we're firing on all cylinders by the end.

I really thought we were "back". I wasn't right.

Defense was incredible, but at the end of the season the Nebraska offense still wasn't firing on all cylinders. They gained 106 yards in 55 plays against Texas. Only a bit better the week before against Colorado. Great all around game in the bowl vs. a solid Arizona team. 

I would say that we were a Joe Ganz or Taylor Martinez away for competing for the NC that year. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't have the choice. We have to take what we're given and figure out how we feel about it then.

I'm just suggesting 1998 may not be much of a blueprint for what comes next. 

Maybe the Arkansas State game isn't that big of an indicator, either. 

But it wasn't crazy to expect more from this defense in a tune up game against a non-contender.

So while I'm not exactly freaking out, I see no reason to relax. 

Unless you're a linebacker or in another position where you have a direct effect on the team, then I'd suggest you relax.  

On 9/3/2017 at 5:46 PM, zoogs said:

2009 was a really special time. That assembly of talent, coaching + Suh.

We're not likely to see its likes again. Suh should have won a Heisman. We were straight up ridiculous that year.

I think you're remembering that season with some rose colored glasses. The 8 turnover debacle and loss to ISU at home was abysmal.

Suh was amazing, and some other defenders were really good. But offense was just terrible.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, zoogs said:

The ISU game was a debacle, yeah. And we did lose four games. But I just mean the defense was extraordinary. It's basically an offense's game. Those Bo defenses in '09 and '10 stand out as an aberration.

2009 I agree. I haven't looked back at the stats for 2010 but I remember not being all that impressed at the time.