Where is the confidence coming from?

3 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

I think Helfrich sucks.  I think his record at Oregon is nothing more than a result of carry over succes from Chip Kelly.  Obviously the Administration felt the same way and canned him after their worst season in over a decade.  He is in the booth because he sucked last year.

I think Les Miles is a oretty good coach, National Championship caliber.  Had thr unfortunate luck of being in the same division as Nick Saban and Alabama in their prime.  He may be in the twilight of his coaching career, but I wouldn't rule out another decent run at the right school.  He is in the booth because the Administration decided to hit reset in a wacky series of events.

I liked Taggart at WKU, I thought their team chemistry looked rrally good.  So since I think Helfrich sucked and Taggart is an upgrade, I expect Oregon to be better this season.  Hope this clears things up.

If you think Taggart is the better coach, so be it.  I'm not going to argue that.

I would say that a coach not taking a job the year after he is let go isn't really an indicator of them sucking.  That's not to say i disagree with your opinion of Helfrich.  It's just that many coaches take a year off before deciding their next move.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

Honestly did not realize I was in the minority that Taggart was an upgrade.  Sorry to all the Helfrich sympathizers.

There's a difference between "sympathizers" and "objective assessment". There's just nothing out there, at this point, that objectively says that Taggart is an upgrade. Now, I agree with you, to an extent, when you say that Helfrich "... is nothing more than a result of carry over success from Chip Kelly". But event then, you still have to be a pretty decent coach to take a team to the national title game, even with all that talent. 

Helfrich is, in a lot of ways, similar to Solich's time here: great assistant coach who was a good HC while he still had the previous coach's players, but ultimately couldn't sustain the level of success demanded by the program. 

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

There's a difference between "sympathizers" and "objective assessment". There's just nothing out there, at this point, that objectively says that Taggart is an upgrade. Now, I agree with you, to an extent, when you say that Helfrich "... is nothing more than a result of carry over success from Chip Kelly". But event then, you still have to be a pretty decent coach to take a team to the national title game, even with all that talent. 

Helfrich is, in a lot of ways, similar to Solich's time here: great assistant coach who was a good HC while he still had the previous coach's players, but ultimately couldn't sustain the level of success demanded by the program. 

I would have said the same thing before their first game, again, I liked Taggart before he got hired.  I'm not basing my statement off of their 1 win.

And yes, I almost made that comparison above but ADS is already ruffled up.

2 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

Me stating a fact makes me a Helfrich sympathizer?  You're better than this.

I'm not in the mood to be.  Your fact is objective, as were my points.