Where is the confidence coming from?

48 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

Helfrich.....is in .......a booth this year.

And Taggart was coach at WKU where stockpiling losses is kinda the MO.  Anyone actually think they can't transcend that monumental 4-8 record from 2016 this year?

Not to be difficult or anything but Jeff Brohm was 31-10 in 3 seasons @ WKU.

• Plus1 3

Just now, 1995 Redux said:

Yes he did.  And Taggart was there just before him, other than the Petrino 1 season layover.  There is a reason both Taggart and Brohm are at bigger gigs now.

Yup, agree w/ you there.  I'm curious about the Taggart era as well.  Seems like a good recruiter, has assembled a good staff (albeit one w/ slightly checkered pasts--Leavitt comes to mind).  We'll find out if he can coach at a high level.

Just now, Xmas32 said:

Yup, agree w/ you there.  I'm curious about the Taggart era as well.  Seems like a good recruiter, has assembled a good staff (albeit one w/ slightly checkered pasts--Leavitt comes to mind).  We'll find out if he can coach at a high level.

I think team chemistry is his biggest advantage.  Any Taggart coached team I have watched just looked to be in sync.  Granted a lot of those teams were outmatched, but they still went out and executed as they were supposed to.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess the point I would make is......nobody can say right now if he is "an upgrade"...so why proclaim that he is?

23 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

I thought he was an upgrade when they announced it.

I liked Taggart before he got hired (at Oregon)

20 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

I remember when Charlie Strong was considered an upgrade over Mack Brown (in the booth). <_<

I'm glad someone brought this up.  I for one think Charlie Strong is a pretty good coach.  However, something strange has happened to Texas.  Does anyone really believe Mack Brown just woke up one day and suddenly forgot how to coach?  Texas really slid under Brown.  Texas continued to slide under Strong.  One game in, we're seeing Herman's pixie dust not working.  Texas still is playing unmotivated soft football.  There might be more going on down there than most realize.

Mack Brown and Les Miles I think can be looked upon as being very similar.  Both are great recruiters.  Both have won a NC.  They neither one are elite coaches, but I'd say they both can coach.  Time will tell if LSU has similar things going down as Texas.  This story is still unfolding. 

There's only a handful of coaches that can simply program hop and make everything all better.  Even some of them are very picky.  There's a reason Meyer took the Florida job over his "dream" job at Notre Dame.  Florida had a stacked roster while ND did not.  He took the Ohio State job because it was absolutely stacked with talent.  You're not going to see Urban Meyer take on a job like Saban did at Bama when they were being penalized to the gills by the NCAA. 

15 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

No more checkered than Mangino or Leach.  Leach has found another head coaching gig.  I'm surprised somebody hasn't picked up Leavitt yet as a head coach.

9 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

No more checkered than Mangino or Leach.  Leach has found another head coaching gig.  I'm surprised somebody hasn't picked up Leavitt yet as a head coach.

Agreed, he did a great job building the USF program from scratch.  I can see him getting another crack at a HC job in a year or two if he wants it.  Granted he's 60 so you wonder if a bigger name school would take a chance on him.  

18 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Leavitt struck a player, lied about it and then tried to get others to lie about it.  I can't remember what Mangino did but didn't Leach get fired because Craig James and his boy cried foul?