Where is the confidence coming from?

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

On what basis can you form this opinion? Willie Taggart is 41-45 as a HC, and Mark Helfrich is 31-16 as a HC. 

Helfrich.....is in .......a booth this year.

And Taggart was coach at WKU where stockpiling losses is kinda the MO.  Anyone actually think they can't transcend that monumental 4-8 record from 2016 this year?

I have no idea if Nebraska is going to beat Oregon.  I know they have a good shot at it.

I just don't see any reason to be crying and whining claiming because of how we looked against Arkansas State, we are going to have a horrible year and not win many games.  I also don't see how a game against Southern Utah shows that they are some amazing juggernaut that is unbeatable.

Both teams had some good things happen in week one.  They both have way more to prove as the year goes.  I don't see any reason to be miserably down on our team right now.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

Helfrich.....is in .......a booth this year.

And Taggart was coach at WKU where stockpiling losses is kinda the MO.  Anyone actually think they can't transcend that monumental 4-8 record from 2016 this year?

I get what you're saying but isn't this the same argument some people make AGAINST our own head coach?  That he is a 500 coach at Oregon St so no way he could be better than Bo who won 9 games every year but is still coaching in FCS?

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

If the "transition year" theory has any validity, we should be golden.

Aren't we both transitioning?

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

Are you actually comparing Helfrich to Miles?

You've said, in multiple posts now, that Taggart is a better coach than Helfrich because Helfrich is, quote, "in a booth", even though Helfrich has a much better record, and has coached in the National Championship game. Taggart has 2 winning seasons in total. So, if you think my last post was a direct comparison between Helfrich and Miles, you've missed the point. 

I am not going to argue if Riley is the right man for the job here. No one is going to convince people who think he isn't that he is. But I don't think that make them not true husker fans..cuz they question things. And the people who think he isn't are not going to convince other people they are not wearing blinders etc. Hopefully everyone here wants the Huskers to win. I am done being upset about the way the team looked last week. I'm drinking the kool-aid again. It's good. THAT IS WHERE MY CONFIDENCE COMES FROM. Huskers do it easy this week

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

You've said, in multiple posts now, that Taggart is a better coach than Helfrich because Helfrich is, quote, "in a booth", even though Helfrich has a much better record, and has coached in the National Championship game. Taggart has 2 winning seasons in total. So, if you think my last post was a direct comparison between Helfrich and Miles, you've missed the point. 

The point is comparing the worst Oregon coach in recent history to a National Championship coach because they are both in the booth is silly.

Just answer me this, do you think Taggart will have a better year 1 than Helfrich's 2016 4-8 mark?  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I get what you're saying but isn't this the same argument some people make AGAINST our own head coach?  That he is a 500 coach at Oregon St so no way he could be better than Bo who won 9 games every year but is still coaching in FCS?

Aren't we both transitioning?

I'll ask you too, do you think Taggart will have a better year 1 than Helfrich's 2016 4-8 mark? 

7 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

The point is comparing the worst Oregon coach in recent history to a National Championship coach because they are both in the booth is silly.

Just answer me this, do you think Taggart will have a better year 1 than Helfrich's 2016 4-8 mark?  

That's the exact metric that you are using to compare Taggart to Helfrich, though. You've said, multiple times, that Taggart is an upgrade from Helfrich because Helfrich is "in a booth" this year. And you still haven't answered if this metric applies to someone like Les Miles, a coach who is also now a broadcaster. 

And "worst coach in Oregon history" is a bit loaded when said coach has a 70% winning percentage. 

I think the OP is confusing confidence with blind optimism. 

We honestly don't know enough about this team or Oregon to make a guess, educated or otherwise, at this point. And considering it's bad karma of late to insinuate that Nebraska will put a beat down on anyone, I'll just say the game should be close and we have a shot at pulling this off. 

And if we get boatraced out of Eugene, though, I don't know if that means we'll go .500 or struggle the rest of the year. Other than the tOSU game, I don't see us being too far off the mark versus anyone we face on the field. 

I think Helfrich sucks.  I think his record at Oregon is nothing more than a result of carry over succes from Chip Kelly.  Obviously the Administration felt the same way and canned him after their worst season in over a decade.  He is in the booth because he sucked last year.

I think Les Miles is a pretty good coach, National Championship caliber.  Had the unfortunate luck of being in the same division as Nick Saban and Alabama in their prime.  He may be in the twilight of his coaching career, but I wouldn't rule out another decent run at the right school.  He is in the booth because the Administration decided to hit reset in a wacky series of events.

I liked Taggart at WKU, I thought their team chemistry looked really good.  So since I think Helfrich sucked and Taggart is an upgrade, I expect Oregon to be better this season.  Hope this clears things up.

• Plus1 1