What did we learn-Game 2 Oregon

JJ Husker

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have actually seen other teams line up like this.  I don't fully understand it.

My only possible explanation is that you are using the same 3-4 personal but really ending up with a 5 or 6 front when the LBs crash the LOS after the snap.

It's my only explanation.  But, like I've said, it's used by other teams also.

I don't think the idea is necessarily bad.  Just not on 3rd & 1.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think the idea is necessarily bad.  Just not on 3rd & 1.

Not necessarily.  If my explanation is correct, the LBs have a better chance of taking on a block from a O tackle or guard with a few steps head of steam.  They just have to crash fast and not allow the O linemen to move past the LOS.

It worked in this instance because they did that.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not necessarily.  If my explanation is correct, the LBs have a better chance of taking on a block from a O tackle or guard with a few steps head of steam.  They just have to crash fast and not allow the O linemen to move past the LOS.

It worked in this instance because they did that.

No it worked in the instance because Freeman tried to run left of the center - into the overloaded front - instead of running right of center where the huge hole was.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No it worked in the instance because Freeman tried to run left of the center - into the overloaded front - instead of running right of center where the huge hole was.

The ball is on the hashmark.  He ran to the right of the hashmark.  You were correct earlier, in that Carlos blew it up.  To me, it looked like he was trying to run right of center but the center was pushed back and right.....which allowed the LBs to be able to clean it up.

It's possible he made a mistake by not running far enough right of center.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

The ball is on the hashmark.  He ran to the right of the hashmark.  You were correct earlier, in that Carlos blew it up.  To me, it looked like he was trying to run right of center but the center was pushed back and right.....which allowed the LBs to be able to clean it up.

Watch the play.  He runs straight ahead first then when there isn't a hole he nearly stops - because Carlos had a good push - and cuts right to get there.  So yes, he eneded up trying to run right.  But had he run there from the start he almost certainly would have been able to get the first down.

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

:wtf

How in the heck do we get away with this alignment?  3rd & 1 and we don't have anyone on the line between the Center's shoulder and a yard outside the tackle?  Somehow we actually managed to stop this.  I'll give credit to Carlos for clogging it up but it's really Freeman that screwed it up for Oregon by running straight ahead instead of where there is an obvious GAPING hole - especially knowing he only needed one yard for a first down.

Again, this isn't confusion.  Obviously everyone knew they were supposed to line up where they did.  But wow.  That's not a great way to have success stopping short yardage runs.  You can see the huge hole in the second pic.  Freeman just didn't ... somehow. 

eP3Ru0M.png

With regard to the bolded, how do we as observers know this?

Our defensive alignment is abysmal....There are many more of these even on passing plays, but I dont have the time to post right now. We were asking LB's to turn and run downfield with WRs even when we have our safety 13 yards off the ball on 3rd and 3. 

Here you see Oregon has no TE or WR on the short side of the field. Their RB, TE, and 3 WR on the weak side yet we have our safety 10 yards off the ball and our 2 corners 8 yards off the ball. Our LB's easily could have shifted or brought the other safety over. Just an obvios numbers game you will more than likely always lose. 

Result: 28 yard run by Freeman 

Capture.PNG.11bd0a01efb72fb6cb4cb92a67baa6bc.PNG

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, Mavric said:

:wtf

How in the heck do we get away with this alignment?  3rd & 1 and we don't have anyone on the line between the Center's shoulder and a yard outside the tackle?  Somehow we actually managed to stop this.  I'll give credit to Carlos for clogging it up but it's really Freeman that screwed it up for Oregon by running straight ahead instead of where there is an obvious GAPING hole - especially knowing he only needed one yard for a first down.

Again, this isn't confusion.  Obviously everyone knew they were supposed to line up where they did.  But wow.  That's not a great way to have success stopping short yardage runs.  You can see the huge hole in the second pic.  Freeman just didn't ... somehow. 

eP3Ru0M.png

CdiOC99.png

It's not a mistakes on Freeman's part if he went where the play was designed to go or where we tricked him into going by confusing their read.

I would be more likely to conclude Oregon film study found some tendencies that prompted how we defended this situation.  I would suggest our alignment is in part designed to make it tough on the QB and RB to make their reads and confuse them a bit into running where you want them to run instead of where they might normally run if you lined up in an easy to read traditional alignment. 

Looking at the bottom screen shot it appears to me every gap is defended with an extra defender off the line in the middle to provide support.  I assume the "big" hole you are referring to is boundary side B gap.  If that's the case I would disagree as the defender has outside leverage on the block and could easily defend his gap.  If it's the boundary side A gap the nose is head up on block and can shed to make a tackle as his job description requires.  If you look where the TE sets up after the snap in bottom pic, it's a strong indicator the play was designed to go field side c gap all the way and got blown up with good up field penetration and a solid edge being set outside the tackle.  I can't tell who it is, I think field side middle backer, flies up and sets the edge.  The play side is taken away and backside gaps are all pretty well clogged up.

Thanks for actually providing some real x and o content.  Without knowing all the details we could go back and forth on this with all sorts of assumptions and both be right, wrong, or neither. LOL, but I think I'm right ; )

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Only just now? :blink:

It just seems to get worse.  I have good friends who are big boosters for Northern Illinois.  They stick with them through thick and thin.  No matter if they win or lose they are supportive of them.  I admire that.  I thought we were those type of fans too?  I guess not.  BTW, my friends are taking my two daughters to the game Saturday.

35 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

It just seems to get worse.  I have good friends who are big boosters for Northern Illinois.  They stick with them through thick and thin.  No matter if they win or lose they are supportive of them.  I admire that.  I thought we were those type of fans too?  I guess not.  BTW, my friends are taking my two daughters to the game Saturday.

Don't let a few very vocal message board negative nancy's lead you into believing that's a representation of our great fan base as a whole.  In fact it wouldn't surprise me one bit at all to find out a few of them aren't even Husker fans to begin with.