Last 10 games

1 hour ago, Whistlepig said:

might be "reasonable" but not probable  and as far as TO's limits, since you cite no details of meaning, I'm not sure you can prove those "expectations" were false- unless of course you're talking about the "fans" expectations- those same expectations that almost got TO to go to Colorado.

Except that they were both coaches for Neb, kind  of a bad analogy 

I can help ya with that. TO reached his ceiling with the passing game after Devaney. He pushed a passing game with Devany (Ferragamo says hi) but then reached his limit. Oh wait, then he went to the run option game. OTOH, for years he only recruited big bruising players....shoulda been fired. But then he began recruiting speed in the 90s.

In case it escaped you, TO was on the back end of the curve in the minds of a few savants......until he wasn't. Good thing Devaney was the AD back then and not the wizards on this board, otherwise TO would have been called Timid Tom and fired.

20 minutes ago, Spooky Tooth said:

I can help ya with that. TO reached his ceiling with the passing game after Devaney. He pushed a passing game with Devany (Ferragamo says hi) but then reached his limit. Oh wait, then he went to the run option game. OTOH, for years he only recruited big bruising players....shoulda been fired. But then he began recruiting speed in the 90s.

In case it escaped you, TO was on the back end of the curve in the minds of a few savants......until he wasn't. Good thing Devaney was the AD back then and not the wizards on this board, otherwise TO would have been called Timid Tom and fired.

Exactly right about Devaney . I do remember people wanting Tom out. 

I'm not sure why people always resort to comparing Mike Riley to Tom Osborne. They're different people who coached football in different eras and honestly, there is isn't really any conclusion you can draw from any comparison of the two.

I personally think it's a bit early to fire the guy, but at the same time, I never really understood the hire. To elaborate:

1. It's too early to fire him, but up to this point, his only major accomplishment is barely upsetting Michigan State(6th) in his first season. 

2. The hire was kind of strange. He didn''t really turn the Oregon State program around. He took a mediocre program, showed them slightly above mediocre years, but I would consider his last couple of years there to be subpar. 

So with that said, I can understand why people want him gone. People that never understood why he was hired in the first place, and/or people who feel his grace period is up.

But let's be honest, outside of complete catastrophe, Riley will continue to be the head coach. So unless he decides to find a way to lose 5 to 6 more games this season, I'm pretty sure we should all learn to deal with it.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Spooky Tooth said:

Dude we were LIGHT yrs better then  we played and competed and won against the best in the country. We were always ranked in the top 15 and most the time in the top ten

If this piss poor excuse of play would have been around then how long do you think TO would have been around?

• Plus1 3
32 minutes ago, marko polo said:

Dude we were LIGHT yrs better then  we played and competed and won against the best in the country. We were always ranked in the top 15 and most the time in the top ten

If this piss poor excuse of play would have been around then how long do you think TO would have been around?

And do you remember TO almost going to Colorado due to unrelenting and largely unfair criticism directed at him, his staff and players? C'mon man, tell you can see the common denominator here......

4 minutes ago, Spooky Tooth said:

And do you remember TO almost going to Colorado due to unrelenting and largely unfair criticism directed at him, his staff and players? C'mon man, tell you can see the common denominator here......

my point exactly, look how demanding the fans were then when we were relevant!

This ongoing yr after yr after yr with the woodshed beatings, the the embarrasment on national tv just about every time we go national

They would have strung up riley and crew and every other debacle of coaching staffs we have had in the last 15 yrs

1 hour ago, marko polo said:

my point exactly, look how demanding the fans were then when we were relevant!

This ongoing yr after yr after yr with the woodshed beatings, the the embarrasment on national tv just about every time we go national

They would have strung up riley and crew and every other debacle of coaching staffs we have had in the last 15 yrs

Not my point tho. The fringe fandom has always had irrational expectations for the teams.....the difference between now and decades past is that internet gives them not just a chance to post immediately but to try to be cute at the same time. NOTHING has changed, and that was my point and the common denominator I referred to. Irrationality then and irrationality now.

17 hours ago, commando said:

the gopher fan trolling the husker board schtick is getting kind of old already.

FYI I'm not a gopher fan - the picture is of a land beaver, my play on Grampa's old team and I also wish Minnesota fans would stop calling gophers "whistlepigs" they're not- a land beaver and whistlepig can be called a groundhog a rock-chuck or a woodchuck but not a gopher- it'd be like Richard Gere confusing a hamster with a gerbil