Last 10 games

23 hours ago, RedDenver said:

You really would want a coach that wins the NC to immediately retire? No, you wouldn't. Your schtick is getting old.

As you recall that did happen in 97. A guy name Tom retired after winning his final NC.  It has been down hill since then.  Wished he had stayed on 4 more years - probably would have won 2 more NC.

23 hours ago, marko polo said:

and even if TO struggled "some" he was able to stay relevant because he had a much higher baseline from the get go

TO only had 4 season ranked out of the top 10 (89-92), and only one season out of the top 15 (finished 24th and 17th). I will take that definition of struggling. I don't think MR will ever get us in the top 15 at the end of the season.

• Plus1 1
On 9/10/2017 at 5:24 PM, RedDenver said:

Oh for the love of...

I'm making a comparison about expectations and limits of the two coaches. It's entirely reasonable for the expectations of Riley's limits to be false. For example, there was a certain expectation of TO's limits that turned out to be false.

While I'm at the point where I want Riley out, I will agree his past record has nothing to do with it. His record at Nebraska so far is more then enough to come to the conclusion that a change is needed. At least for me barring a big turnaround this season

The past record thing thing is easy to poke holes in. Saban at MSU. Saban in the NFL. Obvious ones that spring to mind

• Plus1 2
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, skers44 said:

Penn State is most likely a loss, but we can go 10-2 imo, but will that happen?

not much of a chance, I think we will be very lucky with this defense to win 7.  5 loses Ducks, Wisky, OSU, Penn St, Iowa..  and the way Purdue is playing maybe 6 loses.  Riley is a .500 coach and this is looking like a .500 team at best.

The 10 games that matter, are the last 10 games of this season. Riley has been given an open checkbook to make the adjustment moves to his staff. We have hand picked, highly paid assistants.  It's not dead weight assistants any longer. Riley has his QB, and his recruits. We've continued to out-recruit our peers, and only 2 of the remaining teams out-talent us on paper.  Anything less than a 7-3 finish, along with with continual improvement week to week, and you will have people seriously  questioning the direction of the program.  I think that it's entirely reasonable to expect a minimum of 9 wins this year.

Propping up the current situation by comparing Coach Riley to TO is an exercise in cognitive dissonance. They aren't even remotely comparable. Tom won at a top 10 rate, while learning to coach. Riley has been coaching for an entire decade longer than TO did.

I think he's a fantastic person, and a great figure for our players. But he (and his staff) are paid to win games at Nebraska. If Franklin could do it in year 3 at Penn State after crippling sanctions, and a near death penalty for the program, it can be done here. 

• Plus1 5
5 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

The 10 games that matter, are the last 10 games of this season. Riley has been given an open checkbook to make the adjustment moves to his staff. We have hand picked, highly paid assistants.  It's not dead weight assistants. Riley has his QB, and his recruits. We've continued to out-recruit our peers, and only 2 of the remaining teams out-talent us.  Anything less than a 7-3 finish, along with with continual improvement week to week, and you will have people seriously  questioning the direction of the program.  I think that it's entirely reasonable to expect a minimum of 9 wins this year.

Propping up the current situation by comparing Coach Riley to TO is an exercise in cognitive dissonance. They aren't even remotely comparable. Tom won at a top 10 rate, while learning to coach. Riley has been coaching for an entire decade longer than TO did.

I think he's a fantastic person, and a great figure for our players. But he (and his staff) are paid to win games at Nebraska. If Franklin could do it in year 3 at Penn State after crippling sanctions, and a near death penalty for the program, it can be done here. 

reasonable post- not sure anyone but the fans that are ignoring the facts of the situations you mentioned could disagree with it

15 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

The 10 games that matter, are the last 10 games of this season. Riley has been given an open checkbook to make the adjustment moves to his staff. We have hand picked, highly paid assistants.  It's not dead weight assistants. Riley has his QB, and his recruits. We've continued to out-recruit our peers, and only 2 of the remaining teams out-talent us on paper.  Anything less than a 7-3 finish, along with with continual improvement week to week, and you will have people seriously  questioning the direction of the program.  I think that it's entirely reasonable to expect a minimum of 9 wins this year.

This is a well thought out, coherently argued, well written response.  I'm not sure that belongs here on HuskerBoard...

• Plus1 1

On 9/10/2017 at 0:30 PM, teachercd said:

If it meant winning it all?  Yes.  Riley doesn't call plays anymore so if they win it all this year and he retires it is safe to assume that Langs would be next man up...he calls the plays and would not be the HC calling the plays.  So yeah, I would be fine with that.

Well...that is why he was hired, right?  Because of what he had done in the past.

gawd i hope not.......we hired him on his potential..........sigh

• 2 weeks later...