Minnesota replacing Iowa as Nebraska's Thanksgiving Game

knapplc

Just now, knapplc said:

And the reality is, the fans haven't lost anything in these statements.  The local press is having a field day with Eichorst "waffling" on this, but the ramifications of these statements is nil. 

We'll play when we play, we were never guaranteed Black Friday games nor were we ever denied Black Friday games, in the past these games have been scheduled on Saturday and "moved" year after year and nobody has been harmed in the process.

This is all much ado about nothing. 

Yeah, but surely you can recognize how this isn't exactly the same thing? Minnesota replacing Iowa is a big part of it, and in the past when the preliminary schedules would show the Saturday date, Eichorst never came out essentially endorsing the idea of no longer playing on Friday. In the past, we knew it wasn't a big deal because it was always the same way. This wasn't quite the same way.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I don't see how your confusion is my problem.  I went back and quoted the posts I was responding to for you.  What else do you want?

I didn't say I wanted anything else.  I said I was referring to the two posts immediately prior to yours.  If that's not what you were referring to, that's why we weren't on the same page.

56 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Yeah, but surely you can recognize how this isn't exactly the same thing? Minnesota replacing Iowa is a big part of it, and in the past when the preliminary schedules would show the Saturday date, Eichorst never came out essentially endorsing the idea of no longer playing on Friday. In the past, we knew it wasn't a big deal because it was always the same way. This wasn't quite the same way.

This, combined with Mavric's post of Parker's tweet just above, surely does show that this was different. I don't think it was hugely different, and I think the results will be the same, but to me this is yet another example of how Eichorst doesn't get the personal side of the Athletic Director equation.

To piggy-back on Mav's tweet, they've updated it:

By NU Athletic Communications
 | 09/14/2017

Nebraska Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst released the following statement on Thursday afternoon:

“I want to clarify Nebraska’s position regarding the dates of our season-ending football games in 2020 and 2021 as announced earlier this week by the Big Ten Conference.  At this time no final decision has been made on what dates these two games will actually be played.  As in past years, the Big Ten releases opponent matchups and typically assigns these match-ups to Saturday.  That has been the case in the past when we agreed to move our season ending games against Iowa from Saturday to Friday. 

“Moving forward we will do everything possible to maintain our tradition of playing games on the Friday after Thanksgiving. We look forward to playing Iowa on the Friday after Thanksgiving through 2019.”

I have no idea why there's this giant blank space down below here. I can't delete it.  Blerg. 

Regardless, the bold is what I've been saying all along.  This was handled rather ham-handedly, but it's still the same situation.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Sports, for everyone not in the Administration, is supposed to be fun. We're supposed to enjoy being fans of the team, the players are supposed to enjoy playing, it's a game. There's a business infrastructure that supports that, and to be a good AD you have to understand both the business side & the fun side.  Eichorst seems fine with the business side.  He seems to lack understanding of the fun side. I'm sure he's making us as profitable as possible, but he's making a lot of mistakes on the other side while doing it.

Reminds me of our failed AD Dave Brandon, former CEO of Dominoes pizza. Great for money so no failure there, super bean counter. But failed in most every other way possible as a human being AD. Glad he's gone, fortunes have improved. Eichorst gives me a similar vibe, particularly with the hires.

• Plus1 3