Minnesota replacing Iowa as Nebraska's Thanksgiving Game

knapplc

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that Eichorst wouldn't leave NU to become the #2 at Wisconsin, and he could still get hired at UW after Alvarez retires.  However, when McIntosh is named the Deputy Athletic Director and oversees the day-to-day operations of the department, that shows me (and others) that he's being groomed as the next AD for Wisconsin.

I agree with this.  The part that didn't make sense to me was i don't see the logic of thinking SE was somehow surprised or whatever.  I mean.  He's the AD at Nebraska.  If he wanted to be the heir apparent at UW, you don't take this job.  Hell, you probably don't even take the Miami job.  because he was the #2 at Wisconsin already.

Just my take.  

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Wait so you  are telling me that a OWH writer might be twisting words to stir the pot?  That is unheard of

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Collectively, I believe the OWH has the best Husker writers from any outlet and I've felt that way for years, but that's probably a conversation for a different thread.

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY.

The last game of the season is always initially scheduled for the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Every year someone posts on here that we've lost the Black Friday game.  After a while, the University always announces that the game has been "moved" from Saturday to Friday. 

You people are freaking out over nothing. 

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think overall Eichorst is a good athletic director.  But he is very out of touch with Nebraska fans.  He can't quite seem to get on the same page.

Sports, for everyone not in the Administration, is supposed to be fun. We're supposed to enjoy being fans of the team, the players are supposed to enjoy playing, it's a game. There's a business infrastructure that supports that, and to be a good AD you have to understand both the business side & the fun side.  Eichorst seems fine with the business side.  He seems to lack understanding of the fun side. I'm sure he's making us as profitable as possible, but he's making a lot of mistakes on the other side while doing it.

• Plus1 4

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY.

The last game of the season is always initially scheduled for the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Every year someone posts on here that we've lost the Black Friday game.  After a while, the University always announces that the game has been "moved" from Saturday to Friday. 

You people are freaking out over nothing. 

People are not talking about it being originally scheduled for Saturday then possibly moved.

They are talking about two days ago Eichorst said "Since moving to a nine-game conference schedule, it makes sense from a student-athlete health, safety and welfare perspective to play on Saturday at the end of the regular season."

Now he says we're going to do "everything possible" to not do that.

So his "clarification" is really "I'm going to try to cover my @$$ because there is a bunch of opposition to my first decision."

• Plus1 5
20 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think overall Eichorst is a good athletic director.  But he is very out of touch with Nebraska fans.  He can't quite seem to get on the same page.

I agree. I've thought Eichorst has done a great job. I think he underestimated the microscope and the PR politics that come with the Nebraska AD job when he first got here, but has since acclimated and done a fine job.

People want to pin waffling statements or flip flops on him as some sort of...indictment, about something? as if the public facing part of his job isn't anything more than say things that make people happy and satisfied, or support your coaches. I have no problem with any of this - he said something, the fanbase wasn't down with it, so he changed his mind. That's a good AD if you ask me.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

People are not talking about it being originally scheduled for Saturday then possibly moved.

They are talking about two days ago Eichorst said "Since moving to a nine-game conference schedule, it makes sense from a student-athlete health, safety and welfare perspective to play on Saturday at the end of the regular season."

Now he says we're going to do "everything possible" to not do that.

So his "clarification" is really "I'm going to try to cover my @$$ because there is a bunch of opposition to my first decision."

These are posts from just page four alone, which I was reading, which I responded to.  Perhaps I should have quoted them in that post to avoid confusion.

On 9/13/2017 at 9:22 AM, Zeke said:

Exactly, could care less if we play Iowa or not for the last game. But the black Friday game has been around longer than I've been alive and I haven't heard a good reason yet to get rid of it yet.

On 9/13/2017 at 9:26 AM, Red Five said:

The reason you play on Friday is for the program exposure as you are one of the few games that day.  Saturday means the game is lost in the shuffle behind OSU/Mich, Bama/Aub, Florida/FSU, etc.

On 9/13/2017 at 10:04 AM, StPaulHusker said:

We had a 30 year tradition to play Black Friday with a RIVAL.

Pretty much everyone on here claims we don't have one anymore so no use in bitching about it

On 9/13/2017 at 0:16 PM, Mavric said:

OWH

On 9/13/2017 at 1:05 PM, Red Five said:

wljclpzrmitievgozfez.gif

On 9/13/2017 at 1:33 PM, jaws said:

In the Big10 the OSU/Mich game matters because the schools themselves make it matter. Does the Big10 profit from the schools making it a big deal, sure, but if the schools aren't driving it the rivalry dies. If Oklahoma AND Nebraska REALLY cared, they would still be playing each other on black Friday. Don't blame the Big10 and OSU/Michigan because Oklahoma cheated on you with Texas. OSU and Michigan care a lot more about the other schools in the conference than Texas cares about anyone in the Big 12. I get it though, somehow we remember the past more fondly than it really was. 

On 9/13/2017 at 1:53 PM, StPaulHusker said:

How did that extra day of prep go for us since 99-00?

23 hours ago, Mavric said:

13 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

OU wasn't always on Black Friday.... it just seems that way. We only did it once during the 1980s and only sporadically before that. In 1978 we played OU on November 11.

3 hours ago, cornhuskers4ever said:

For me The day after Thanksgiving game was always Nebraska vs Oklahoma.  Too bad we couldn't bring back that rivalry again, and have some type of Trophy involved. 

It used to be for the Orange Bowl game and sometimes the National Championship game. 

Just now, knapplc said:

These are posts from just page four alone, which I was reading, which I responded to.  Perhaps I should have quoted them in that post to avoid confusion.

I was talking about the two posts that immediately proceeded yours.  If you were talking about posts before that then we weren't on the same page.

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I agree. I've thought Eichorst has done a great job. I think he underestimated the microscope and the PR politics that come with the Nebraska AD job when he first got here, but has since acclimated and done a fine job.

People want to pin waffling statements or flip flops on him as some sort of...indictment, about something? as if the public facing part of his job isn't anything more than say things that make people happy and satisfied, or support your coaches. I have no problem with any of this - he said something, the fanbase wasn't down with it, so he changed his mind. That's a good AD if you ask me.

And the reality is, the fans haven't lost anything in these statements.  The local press is having a field day with Eichorst "waffling" on this, but the ramifications of these statements is nil. 

We'll play when we play, we were never guaranteed Black Friday games nor were we ever denied Black Friday games, in the past these games have been scheduled on Saturday and "moved" year after year and nobody has been harmed in the process.

This is all much ado about nothing. 

Just now, Mavric said:

I was talking about the two posts that immediately proceeded yours.  If you were talking about posts before that then we weren't on the same page.

I was on page four. ;)