Forde: Hot Seats in Lincoln

Mavric

40 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I NEVER thought I would EVER say this in my life, but Riley has opened my eyes that I took Callahan for granted. Looking back, I would take Callahan over this. That is unbelievable. Callahan is a blip in Nebraska football history, a 4 year span which is some of the programs darkest. It wasn't too long ago that no one spoke of the guys name. Looking at it now given with what we are dealing with, Callahan was a better coach.

Riley most certainly is an upgrade in personality then Pelini, and he is a personality upgrade from Callahan. But his style of play simply does not work. I don't even know if the guy turns it around and wins 8 games that I would want him back for next year, because we all know he isn't improving the program beyond 9 wins and he isn't winning divisional titles.

A decade later, it's deja vu.  The 07' team completely gave up on Callahan.  Will the 17' team give up on Riley?

2 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

The third week of Riley's third year. His first year was horrible, his second year ended horrible, and his third year is starting horrible. Do you see a trend? 

Yes, there is smoke there, but I guess am willing to give it more time. Steps were taken to reshape the defense into something better with players who were not recruited to the new system. The first near-loss this season was on the defense. The first loss was on the defense. The loss last weekend was not, it was absolutely on the offense which to this point had not been a huge concern. Was it a fluke or a trend? One game is not enough data to base that on. Rash judgments usually do not work out well.

37 minutes ago, unlfan said:

To some degree this is putting lipstick on a pig, but Callahan was no doubt better than Riley. At least Callahan's offenses were potent. There is an argument to be made that, if Callahan was able to find a defense, he could have taken us places. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I could hear it out.

I've always maintained that if Callahan had fired Cosgrove and hired someone like Diaco (e.g. Venerables) that he'd still be Head Coach and we'd be on a different trajectory. 

5 minutes ago, khaake said:

Yes, there is smoke there, but I guess am willing to give it more time. Steps were taken to reshape the defense into something better with players who were not recruited to the new system. The first near-loss this season was on the defense. The first loss was on the defense. The loss last weekend was not, it was absolutely on the offense which to this point had not been a huge concern. Was it a fluke or a trend? One game is not enough data to base that on. Rash judgments usually do not work out well.

Several differences between TO at that time and Riley now. One thing and it's a major thing, as far as giving time to Riley to see if he turns it around. Riley is in his mid 60's, by the time he he figures it out (if he ever figures it out) he will probably be in his late 60's at looking at retirement leaving us to rebuild all over again. So why not cut ties now rather then hoping to see if something changes in the next couple years and having to rebuild after that.

Why rebuild if he becomes suddenly successful? Because a new coach will likely bring in his own new system that will be different then Riley's and we will again have to wait around for that coach to get his players.

• Plus1 1
Just now, unlfan said:

It's definitely possible. He was getting elite talent here and the offense was really getting going. Obviously the defense and his "fit" with fans were the two giant obstacles.

Well, and calling Oklahoma fans "F'n hillbillies' didn't sit well with folks, either. 

11 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I've always maintained that if Callahan had fired Cosgrove and hired someone like Diaco (e.g. Venerables) that he'd still be Head Coach and we'd be on a different trajectory

It's an interesting thought.  However, Callahan was never going to stay at Nebraska.  If he'd have hired a competent DC, it would have been interesting to see what 09' would have looked like with an offense with a pulse.  I believe he would have been gone either after the 09' or the 10' season.  I have no idea where we'd be today had all of this happened.

11 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Several differences between TO at that time and Riley now. One thing and it's a major thing, as far as giving time to Riley to see if he turns it around. Riley is in his mid 60's, by the time he he figures it out (if he ever figures it out) he will probably be in his late 60's at looking at retirement leaving us to rebuild all over again. So why not cut ties now rather then hoping to see if something changes in the next couple years and having to rebuild after that.

Why rebuild if he becomes suddenly successful? Because a new coach will likely bring in his own new system that will be different then Riley's and we will again have to wait around for that coach to get his players.

True, I don't see Riley changing, but I am also not convinced that Riley can't get it done doing what he has been doing. I see his role in the few years he has left as rebuilding the brand, something that has been in decline for two decades now. At this point I still think he can do it. Admittedly, I might be feeling very differently a month from now.

4 minutes ago, khaake said:

True, I don't see Riley changing, but I am also not convinced that Riley can't get it done doing what he has been doing. I see his role in the few years he has left as rebuilding the brand, something that has been in decline for two decades now. At this point I still think he can do it. Admittedly, I might be feeling very differently a month from now.

I understand you want to support Riley and the current staff, but the only thing that he's doing to the Nebraska brand is damaging it further.  NU has been 1-2 three times in 59 years.  Twice of those occurrences have been under Riley.  Any further time with Riley allows NU to slide further into mediocre town.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, khaake said:

I like that sunshine you're pumping, man, but it's over. There isn't any way Riley saves this sinking ship.

• Plus1 2
Just now, unlfan said:

We are solidly in Mediocre town. Mike Riley has the ability to take us to the cellar of Big Ten West with Illinois. Do not underestimate him.

Look around, Minnesota and Purdue are passing us up as we speak.

Purdue looks like a totally different team.  Attitude, swagger, whatever you want to call it.  They are only dogs by 10 this weekend hosting Michigan.  I am heading to the Husker game at Purdue and at first I thought tickets would be like 5 dollars...now I am thinking that Purdue fans could be out in full force.