ESPN: Can Riley Fix Nebraska?

Mavric

1 minute ago, unlfan said:

So hopefully now you understand that I can use this previous post of your yours in response:

"So you're seriously sticking with thr whole "We didn't  lose by as much, therefore it's better" argument?"

So you admit that the NIU loss isn't worse than anything Bo ever did?  Finally.

11 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Did I?

You mock the argument "Riley Ohio State loss is worse than any Bo loss because he lost by more points"

Yet also argue "Bo Wisconsin loss is worse than Riley NIU loss because Bo lost by more points"

Sorry, pure contradiction.

No, the Riley loss to NIU is not better or worse than any of Bo's losses because of margin of defeat.

Try to follow me here....please.

The NIU defeat is an embarassment to this program and is an unacceptable outcome.  It falls into the same category as Riley's losses to Purdue and Ohio State as total crap shows, just like the many Bo meltdown losses or blowout losses I have already mentioned.  None are better than the other, none are worse than the other.  They are all embarassing defeats, many to inferior opponents.

The reason I laugh at NIU being worse than any of Bo's losses is because now that we fired him and his replacement is stinking the joint up, writers are going to pretend he didnt lose to crap teams at home or get blown out.  Northwestern 2011.  That game was just as bad as the NIU game in terms of opponent worth and margin of defeat.  The only reason it's  "better" is because it's a conference team.  Same thing for Iowa State 2009,  same thing for half our losses Riley's first year.

The NIU loss is "worse" because it's the most recent one.  The fact they are a MAC team is just an arbitrary reason to be pissed off about it.

The answer is No, and the sooner the administration at UNL realizes that the better.

And lets say he does figure it out, this season is already a wash, I am sure next year we will be told somehow it is a rebuilding season, but lets say Nebraska wins 8-9 games next year, and then in year 5 he hits his stride. I doubt he brings a championship, be it conference or national title, but years 6-7 and Riley is nearing 70 years old. He then retires and Nebraska is stuck rebuilding again after his retirement.

Lets just "rebuild" now rather then being stuck in neutral or reverse for the next year or two and having to rebuild in a couple years.

• Plus1 1

This topic turned into a s#!t show really quickly.

There is no arguing, Riley's loss to NIU is the worst loss we've had in a really long time. It was Callahan-esque in how bad it was. 

I was at the Nebraska/Wisconsin B1G CCG, I remember the gut punch it was. I remember getting so upset during that 2012 OSU game I threw stuff at my tv. I remember that pain still. Bo had plenty of losses (4 every season) but I never gave up hope we could do better. I'd rewatch both wins and losses in attempts to see silver linings and improvement.

After the dumpster fire that was his first season, getting blown out by Purdue, OSU, Iowa, Tennesee, almost losing to Arkansas State, Oregon putting up 42 points in a quarter (thank God they took their foot off the gas), and now a loss to f'ing NIU.... I sold my tickets for OSU and cancelled my flight. I might not go to the other 2 games I was planning on. I'm going to a music festival in a few weeks, I might not even record the game and just check a box score. I'm becoming more and more apathetic.

Riley is ruining Nebraska football. No one can say that about Bo, no matter how much they hate his antics and his demeanour. 

• Plus1 4