Why would you fire your Athletic Director in September?

knapplc

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...they seemed to make it clear that you are here to win and then they actually said they want to win like the mid-90's and didn't apologize for it...basically they are saying you come to NU to be a BOSS!!!

I loved their comments! That's what Nebraska's expectations SHOULD BE.

Are we going to win every game...every season? No, but Nebraska should be competitive in mostly all of the games they play in.

Nebraska fans know good fundamental football when they see it.

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I loved their comments! That's what Nebraska's expectations SHOULD BE.

Are we going to win every game...every season? No, but Nebraska should be competitive in mostly all of the games they play in.

Nebraska fans know good fundamental football when they see it.

Me too, I was very impressed and I think what they did is put it out there for all coaches.  You come here and we will do everything we can to help you win.

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The search - they made the decision yesterday to fire Eichorst. They started the search for his successor hours ago.  Literally.

They're asking Tom Osborne for his opinion

Will we ever stop with this?  I give TO all the respect for what he did on the sidelines, that was two decades ago.  Let the man be and let this program move on.

• Plus1 5
55 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Here's why:  You're going to replace your football coach.  The season is done in just over two months.  That means you have a very short amount of time to:

1)  Conduct a search and hire the right Athletic Director for your school

2) Give that person time to conduct a search to hire the right football coach for your school

3) Give that coach enough time to salvage/rebuild the recruiting class

This is 100% about firing Mike Riley and not trusting the man who hired him to replace him. 

So what happens next?

Ronnie Green has a press conference scheduled at 2:30.  Best-case scenario, he has a knock-your-socks-off Athletic Director already hired and coming to the podium with him.  This is highly unlikely.

Green will announce Eichorst's termination and his plans to fill the vacancy.  He will most likely express support for "all of our coaches" and our commitment to excellence.  Bap bap bap. 

Within the next two to six weeks, UNL will hire a new Athletic Director who will announce they are going to evaluate all sports.  This means they're going to fire Mike Riley if he isn't already gone and he isn't winning every game since Eichorst has been fired.

Sometime around the end of November we'll learn Riley's fate.  If there's an amazing hire and it isn't someone not going to a bowl or not Jon Gruden, we may not know who will replace Riley until January.

So, short story long, buckle up folks.  We've got another three or four months of rocky road ahead. 

Nearly every reporter is saying otherwise. I guess it will be interesting to see who is right. I don't really know which way to lean.

2 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Will we ever stop with this?  I give TO all the respect for what he did on the sidelines, that was two decades ago.  Let the man be and let this program move on.

Agreed.  Let the guy be retired.  Plus he doesn't exactly have an outstanding track record of hirings in the past.

• Plus1 1

Just now, MattyIce said:

We keep saying this. The "must have a plan in place" line... but do they? Have they? Idk. Jury is OUT.

I think that Eichorst was on thin ice entering this season, and then with the Black Friday game flip-flop and the football team starting with a losing record, it was time for Green and Bounds to make their move and fire SE.