8 Wins.

3 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

So if I’m “understanding” what is being said, if this team somehow runs off 10 straight wins Riley shouldn’t be judged by that?  Because he wouldn’t have any control over that?

What is his job? To build a program, to become a consistent winner. You then judge him on his ability to do the things that lead to winning.

If you just look at wins this year, how do you know winning this year leads to wins next year? 

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If Iron Mike gets there, he stays. 7-2 in the B1G is plenty good enough with our schedule. 7-5 and 6-6 is the danger zone. 5 and under and  we have a exciting huskerboard off-season of tracking flights.

Hey Great!  Every new coach lets just lower the bar one game!  9 Wins for Pelini, 8 wins for Riley!  Somebody please tell Frost all he has to do is win 7!

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Hey Great!  Every new coach lets just lower the bar one game!  9 Wins for Pelini, 8 wins for Riley!  Somebody please tell Frost all he has to do is win 7!

7-2 in th B1G isn't good enough for you? BTW pelini won 7 conf games once. So Riley doing it in year 3 wouldn't be lowering the bar. And just in case I get a smart ass remark, I'm not expecting him to do it - I'll just give credit if he does. 

7 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Would it have been good enough for Bob Devaney?

Come on now. In most people wildest dreams 7-2 in conference was the BEST possible scenario this season. EVERYONE preseason was writing off OSU and PSU as losses and honestly Wisconsin nearly too. So considering 7-2 was every rational Husker fans best case scenario in conference, I'm sure it would have been good enough for Devany in a conference way tougher than he ever coached in, no offense to Bob he is a legend but let's be real about the conference competition back then, it was Oklahoma and that's it. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

Maybe the new AD gives an ultimatum.  Fire your OL coach and OC.  Who knows.  Does Riley do it?  How would you choose a new OC and OL coach?  The reality is NU is not going to reach the promised land with this crew at the helm.  Recruiting is on par with Bo.  Our 2018 class looks great on paper, but guess how many of those guys are guaranteed to be here?  None.  We have had better classes than the West teams for several cycles, yet we get owned by Wisky and Iowa.  We have talent IMO. We lack developmental coaches and a definitive offensive identity.  

Even if Riley survives what will most likely be a poor season and wants to make a change to OL and OC, who could he possibly get?  Any candidate would have to know that it is more than likely a 1 year job.  Are they going to get a Hughes level of coach that lives in the dorm?  I don't see any decent coaches taking the job.  So whoever they get won't improve Riley's fortunes and next season will be dismal.  Don't replace them and we'll get more of the same.  Either way Riley's fate was sealed when he brought them with him or minimally replacing them after last season.  To his credit Riley recognized that some of the coaches weren't cutting it after last season.  He just didn't do enough interviewing to replace more of them.

3 hours ago, unlfan said:

We were just in a dog fight at home against a team that hasn't won a B1G game in like 100 years.

we ain't winning 8 or 9 games.

Three or four other 8-9 win teams have beat Rutgers by a touchdown or less in the last two years. Nevermind that OP didn't claim we would, but just claimed that if it were to happen he thinks Riley would be safe.

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

Have you ever been introduced to the idea of 'context'?

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, brophog said:

What is his job? To build a program, to become a consistent winner. You then judge him on his ability to do the things that lead to winning.

If you just look at wins this year, how do you know winning this year leads to wins next year? 

His job is to win football games and shurnout quality young men.  If the team is winning Riley is doing the things that lead to winning. 

So if they run the table and finish 12-2 he shouldn’t just be judged by the 12 wins?  So if I’m getting what you’re laying down, you would still possibly fire him even if they finish 12-2?