Stop

With all this scrutiny, all this pressure, all this losing, I wouldn't be surprised if Riley simply retires at the end of the season. Announces his retirement at the beginning of November and he finishes out the year and also would allow him to coach the bowl game with a big if Nebraska actually gets to a bowl game.

In the meantime that lets the new AD start searching for a new head coach starting in early November, and Riley goes out with the utmost respect from Nebraska fans for the admirable decision.

I wanted MR to succeed as I want anyone coaching Nebraska to succeed. But it's eerily evident this coaching staff is out of touch. No leadership from the sideline, and it never looks like MR is coaching anyone. We were told "wait 'til Riley gets his guy to run his system," and now he has his guy, but the system doesn't work. The Dorf wants to throw the ball around like it's 7-on-7 flag football and his play calling is suspect at best.

The staff continues to not make glaring adjustments when getting torched over and over. They stubbornly stay with the same idea on both offense and defense; i.e. passing on 3rd and short or having DBs play 10 yards off the receiver.

The culture has shifted to the "losing is acceptable as long as you played the team close" Pac-12 mentality. And the mentality goes to coaching.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, unlfan said:

This will be the tough part. Could take years to undo the damage Riley has done. They have been trained that losing is expected and acceptable. It’s toxic. The next guy has TONS of work to do.

Dammit.  We're just getting Bo's toxic culture out.  Now we are going to have to wait 2-3 additional years to get Mike's toxic culture out too?  When does this cycle end?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, moveitforward said:

You are correct, and we should support our coach and our team. Although declining in number, there are still too many in our fan base living in the 90s, and think it is as simple as  hiring yet another new coach to return to national prominence. With so many fans with unrealistic expectations, who would want the job? I am glad Riley has stuck with us.

Dude, crawl back under the bridge you came from troll.

• Plus1 6

53 minutes ago, unlfan said:

This will be the tough part. Could take years to undo the damage Riley has done. They have been trained that losing is expected and acceptable. It’s toxic. The next guy has TONS of work to do.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure it will be that big of a deal. I think changing the culture is easier for a team that's losing because they want to be better. It's harder for a team that's winning to change culture because they think the old way works.

Riley struggled with changing the culture because Nebraska was winning 9 or 10 games every year before he was hired. If Nebraska goes 6-6 or worse this year and fires Riley, then the new head coach can use this cliched but generally accurate speech.

"We're going to do things my way. My way works. Look what I've done. Your way didn't work. That's why you stunk last year. If you don't like things my way, then there's the door."

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Dammit.  We're just getting Bo's toxic culture out.  Now we are going to have to wait 2-3 additional years to get Mike's toxic culture out too?  When does this cycle end?

i don't think there is or was anything toxic about MR or his recruits.........i think the coaching and play calling is the problem.......he failed to surround himself with really good coaches or maybe he could flat not get anyone else....but it's time to move on, please.

1 hour ago, unlfan said:

I think changing the culture will will be the most challenging.  I wouldn't put it all on Riley though.  Under Bo I really believe the 9 wins became the goal and getting blown out didn't matter.  Charlie Strong had a difficult task at UT and I think he accomplished a lot in getting things turned around which Herman is benefiting from.

4 hours ago, El Diaco said:

You may not agree but Riley will be gone this year. It would take an absolute miracle and a level of play this team has shown no signs of delivering to save his job. I agree there is a lot of negativity but that’s what a sh#tty .500 level staff and lackluster play will get you. Again you may not agree but the calls to replace Riley actually do support the team, at least a team that people want to see win. Not sure I understand the use in supporting a course of action that will lead to continued losing and embarrassing displays.

Lets talk again in December and see if MR is still the coach. If he is I’ll run naked through the streets of Lincoln yelling I was wrong.

So, who do you think the next experiment will be? Judging from the righteous outrage of this message board, it must be a former Husker player. We're looking for a savior here. Do you think that Riley's recruits will happily see him fired and just continue playing for the next coach? Or will they sulk and whine like Pelini's boys did after he was fired? The downward spiral continues . . .