Stop

12 hours ago, unlfan said:

This will be the tough part. Could take years to undo the damage Riley has done. They have been trained that losing is expected and acceptable. It’s toxic. The next guy has TONS of work to do.

Holy crap, now I've seen it all.  Making excuses for the next coach that hasn't been hired, before the current one is fired!  Congrats man, this is incredible stuff.

• Plus1 6

26 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Nope, no excuse at all. A good coach will be able to do it no problem. Just pointing out the toxicity of a losing culture that Mike Riley has established here. It’s crippling.

No, it's not crippling.  These players came here to win and still want to win, regardless of who their coach is.  You're creating a false idea that Riley set this program back to the stone age when in reality he himself came in and had to help fix an actual toxic situation created by his predecessor.  So far, his on field results are trash and it likely cost him a 4th year.  But nothing he has done has "crippled" this team.  If anything, he has made it far easier for the next guy to come in and win quickly.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Redux said:

No, it's not crippling.  These players came here to win and still want to win, regardless of who their coach is.  You're creating a false idea that Riley set this program back to the stone age when in reality he himself came in and had to help fix an actual toxic situation created by his predecessor.  So far, his on field results are trash and it likely cost him a 4th year.  But nothing he has done has "crippled" this team.  If anything, he has made it far easier for the next guy to come in and win quickly.

Thank you. Riley may not be the right coach for us but he hasn't hurt the program and I'm sure he will leave it in good condition for the next guy. Rileys the type of guy who will encourage his guys to embrace the change.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Redux said:

That Mike Riley is such a swell guy, always thinking of others, including whomever will succeed him as head coach. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, unlfan said:

disagree 100%. The next guy has a much bigger clean up job than Riley had. He has taken this program down to new lows, breaking futility records. Bo used bad words and called people mean names.

I don't think so. If I had to guess, we're looking at another losing season this year, and I think the players will embrace change. The last change was a very WTF moment for everyone, and there was this #9Wins bar that's not going to be there for the next guy.

21 minutes ago, unlfan said:

disagree 100%. The next guy has a much bigger clean up job than Riley had. He has taken this program down to new lows, breaking futility records. Bo used bad words and called people mean names.

Riley put emphasis on recruiting and getting guys to the NFL.  Bo told his players it's US vs The Fans/Administration.  Records are meaningless when it comes to turning a program around.

Yeah, Riley really hurt us, gimme a break.  He may lose a lot of games but the team overall is going to be in fine shape for the next guy.  I've said for 2 years Riley may not be the guy to get us to glory, but he can be the catalyst.  You're using this narrative to push your stance that Riley sucks.  It's not needed, many people already agree with you.

• Plus1 3
14 hours ago, KCBuc said:

I was "meh" with the Riley hire. As I sat in the stands and saw NU throw a pass with SIX SECONDS in FG range, it confirmed to me that MR has to go. What in the holy crap was the thought process there? Then watching the players not fill gaps and play soft on defense was the nail in the coffin.  I just hope that when they make the change that people understand: 

1. The new coach will take over the existing talent. 

2. It will take time to get his guys in to run his system.  Recruit his players. Establish his culture. 

3. There will be growing pains. Old habits will die hard. The team will have to learn to win again. 

4. The new coach could be worse. He may the next hall of famer.  He will not be perfect. 

5. It would be nice to see Husker fans support the new coach. It may not be your first or hundredth choice. If it applies, get over the past. Your favorite former NU coach is not here. He has been fired. Embrace the future and don't be an anchor. 

I think we all want to see NU win again. 

Interesting post:

Totally agree with the first section that play call gained nothing and risked plenty.

The bold area is a little vague in the timing of these things and i feel that all 5 should also apply to MR and in most cases many fans have broken these rules....

I hope we all want to see NU win again. A fan or NU employee should never wish a loss to to help their cause - this has happened too often.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Huskers44 said:

So we gave him a contract extension just to give him more money when we fire him? Seems legit. 

They gave him the contract extension in January. Also, they guy who did it was fired. Also, that means absolutely nothing when it comes to firing a coach.

But I don't think Riley is actually fired. I think he "retires."

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Huskers44 said:

So we gave him a contract extension just to give him more money when we fire him? Seems legit. 

We gave him a contract extension bc most coaches have a 5 year contract for recruiting purposes and it was given to him before s#!t hit the fan. Bo got a contract extension the year or the year before he was fired also. 

• Plus1 1