Racism - It's a real thing.

3 minutes ago, GSG said:

Was just coming to post about this. Bizarre. Someone just finds a man hanging in a tree on a Monday afternoon?

Kid near my house did this a few years back (well, my old house where I grew up)...He left his house, walked to the park, went into the forest and hung himself.  Probably only 200 yards from his parents house.  

No clue if this is a suicide or not but I could not imagine walking up and seeing that.

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Kid near my house did this a few years back (well, my old house where I grew up)...He left his house, walked to the park, went into the forest and hung himself.  Probably only 200 yards from his parents house.  

No clue if this is a suicide or not but I could not imagine walking up and seeing that.

A forest I can see not finding them right away. I mean they have a whole suicide forest in Japan or wherever but this Fuller guy was in front of city hall on what I assume to be a regularly used street.

I guess I could start an MLK or Black leaders topic but thought I'd just throw this in here.

The thing that struck me about this interview is he's only 32 and sounds... like this. When you're a kid in school watching MLK speeches when thinking of his age he's just an older adult. When you're older than he was here and realize you have never sounded this good and never will, then you really realize how amazing he was and how he was able to do what he did. I think there are very few people who are smart but also able to sound smart when speaking, without also speaking over people's heads.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I guess I could start an MLK or Black leaders topic but thought I'd just throw this in here.

The thing that struck me about this interview is he's only 32 and sounds... like this. When you're a kid in school watching MLK speeches when thinking of his age he's just an older adult. When you're older than he was here and realize you have never sounded this good and never will, then you really realize how amazing he was and how he was able to do what he did. I think there are very few people who are smart but also able to sound smart when speaking, without also speaking over people's heads.

Probably, for my money, the best public speaker in US history.  

I understand this and I'm sure there was some racial stereotyping when making this marketing choice.

However, I always just looked at it as a woman who seemed like a loving and caring person who could make great pancakes with her syrup.  I honestly never really thought about her being black.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand this and I'm sure there was some racial stereotyping when making this marketing choice.

However, I always just looked at it as a woman who seemed like a loving and caring person who could make great pancakes with her syrup.  I honestly never really thought about her being black.

She's clearly been redesigned several times to not look like a racist's interpretation of a Black woman. The current version seems totally fine. This is more about the history than the current iteration. Maybe people shouldn't care about origins as much as they do, I don't know.

auntjemima002.jpg

EauIYrTWsAAoUDw.jpg

I've heard of people having issues with this for a long time. Wikipedia has some good info:

Aunt Jemima is based on the common stereotype of the mammy archetype, a character in minstrel shows in the late 1800s. Her skin is dark and dewy, with a pearly white smile. She wears a scarf over her head and a polka dot dress with a white collar, similar to the common attire and physical features of "mammy" characters throughout history.[12] A character named "Aunt Jemima" appeared on the stage in Washington, D.C., as early as 1864.[13]

The inspiration for Aunt Jemima was Billy Kersands' American-style minstrelsy/vaudeville song "Old Aunt Jemima", written in 1875. Rutt reportedly saw a minstrel show featuring the "Old Aunt Jemima" song in the fall of 1889, presented by blackface performers identified by Arthur F. Marquette as "Baker & Farrell".[8] Marquette recounts that the actor playing Aunt Jemima wore an apron and kerchief, and Rutt appropriated this Aunt Jemima character to market the Pearl Milling Company pancake mix in late 1889.[8][14]

However, Doris Witt[who?] was unable to confirm Marquette's account. Witt suggests that Rutt might have witnessed a performance by the vaudeville performer Pete F. Baker, who played a character described in newspapers of that era as "Aunt Jemima". If this is correct, the original inspiration for the Aunt Jemima character was a white male in blackface, whom some have described as a German immigrant.[10]

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1