Thoughtful Plan on Moving Forward

There are numerous coaches who have come in a turned around programs in quick manner. It really comes to the eyeball test.  In year 3, with his guys are we getting any better. The fact he has fired numerous guys in the short span tells me all I need to know.  2 of those guys were your buddies from the git along gang at OSU.  They were horrific there yet he bought them here.  NU is satisfied with an upset avery year and a .500 season.....Not to mention you bring your OC that lost play calling duties under you..

He was the wrong hire then and has steadily gotten worse...

14 minutes ago, lo country said:

In year 3, with his guys are we getting any better.

I don't know that we are better in Year 3 than Year 1. I think we are. I think the floor for this team against bottom to mid tier Big Ten teams is higher than year 1. I think if we want to win these next 3 games then we do. It's hard to say because this team feels like it doesn't.

But all of that is irrelevant, isn't it? The fact we are even asking the question is an answer unto itself.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, moveitforward said:

Several critical steps necessary to move forward -

1. Any coach that is hired (including our current coach) should be given at least 5 years.

2. Although the number is shrinking, our “emporer’s new clothes” fans - who still are too many - need to step into reality. Our team is not entitled to victories just because we have a Red “N” on our helmet, or because we were national champions 20 years ago. Support our players and their coach. 

3. High school players today were babies the last time we were a top 10 program - 2001. In their eyes, we are an average program in an average conference - because we are! Come to grips with that, and the fact that recruits look at these message boards - what they read here today is chaos.

4. We will only rebuild this program one practice, one game, one year at a time. It will take years, and supportive determination. No magical coaches.

5. Finally, I guess we should be thankful we no longer play in the Big 12. A few weeks ago, OU beat Ohio State in Columbus, and last week Iowa State beat Oklahoma - in Norman. 

Just the facts.

1.  HCMR was sold as the experienced leader that would turn us around immediately, not in the future.

2.  We should expect victories and accept hard fought losses.  No one should be shamed for honoring this program's past, it is among the very best in football, you can toss it aside if you want, I think most of us would rather keep it.  Or better yet you can follow Iowa, they win games and have pretty much zero past and seemingly no expectations.

3.  Kids are smart, they can figure out what goes on here, passionate fans that want their program to succeed at the highest levels.  They can reach out and see that great past you seem to think doesn't matter.  The Big Ten isn't very average, we have a top 5 team and two more in the top 10, seems pretty good to me.

4.  A coach that lacks the ability to lead will never improve a program no matter how many practices they get.

5.  Not really.  The Big 12 hasn't produced a National Championship team in over a decade.

You should learn the difference between fact and opinion. 

• Plus1 1

1. I think 5 years would be ok, if there were  any signs that the program is headed in the right direction . It's obvious with  the current staff  it isn't,  and is actually getting worse . 

2. With the amount of money, facilities, and fan support that is pumped in to Husker football there's NO reason to accept mediocre results on the field . Nothing to do with entitlement,  we just need the right coaches in place with the right attitudes and we can return to prominence on the field . 

3 All the youngsters have to do if they don't "get it" is a quick google search . Watch the attitude , coaching , pride, work ethic , mental and physical toughness  etc of the 80s and 90s teams and they'll understand what's needed to fix this mess . If the right things are done with the program,  a new generation of die hard husker fans will emerge, with open hearts, and open wallets .

4. I agree with the one practice,  and one game at at time  idea,  but good coaches turn programs less talented than ours around very quickly , all the time . No reason it can't be done here . 

5  Just because someone says things are fact or fiction doesn't make it so . Nice try to "Trump" us though . Lol 

Edited by Big Red 40
1 hour ago, Vizsla1 said:

I am not an apologist for Coach. We need to learn patience. 5 years was not unreasonable. Coach has shown he is willing to make hard choices with staff.  We have a couple of top 5 position/recruiting coaches in the country.   Coach knows this team better than us, and this will/would take time to correct.  However; pitchforks, rope and fire are in the fan's hands, and Riley's fate is sealed by weeks end. We are writing a lot of checks for exes.  Kinda sad.

Nebraska has a few good recruiters.Kw and DW's squads have been very sketchy so far this year.

18 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

1.  HCMR was sold as the experienced leader that would turn us around immediately, not in the future.

2.  We should expect victories and accept hard fought losses.  No one should be shamed for honoring this program's past, it is among the very best in football, you can toss it aside if you want, I think most of us would rather keep it.  Or better yet you can follow Iowa, they win games and have pretty much zero past and seemingly no expectations.

3.  Kids are smart, they can figure out what goes on here, passionate fans that want their program to succeed at the highest levels.  They can reach out and see that great past you seem to think doesn't matter.  The Big Ten isn't very average, we have a top 5 team and two more in the top 10, seems pretty good to me.

4.  A coach that lacks the ability to lead will never improve a program no matter how many practices they get.

5.  Not really.  The Big 12 hasn't produced a National Championship team in over a decade.

You should learn the difference between fact and opinion. 

I honor our past - as do my children and grandchildren. However, I do not LIVE in the past - big difference my friend.

2 hours ago, Vizsla1 said:

OP has a point... I am not a Riley apologist, but 5 years makes us look reasonable.   Coach was a hot commodity and has proven to be a sharp recruiter.  We are hampered by injuries etc... but hard to figure out why we lack passion and an identity as a team.  

Hot commodity?  In what alternate universe is this true?  His hire was a head scratcher even 3 years ago.  No .500 coach is a hot commodity.  I guarantee you he was not under realistic consideration by any decent team before we idiotically hired him.  And statistically his recruiting is not any better than Bo’s.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, neepster said:

Hot commodity?  In what alternate universe is this true?  His hire was a head scratcher even 3 years ago.  No .500 coach is a hot commodity.  I guarantee you he was not under realistic consideration by any decent team before we idiotically hired him.  And statistically his recruiting is not any better than Bo’s.

Yep.  Current recruiting class is ranked #35 by 24/7.

Big Ten has 3 teams in the top 6 of this week's AP.  Even I can do that math.  If 1/3 of the top 6 teams are from the conference, I am pretty sure everyone can agree it is not an average conference.  Far far from it.  There are multiple very good teams.  It does seem to indicate how wide the talent gap has become between the few at the top and those at the bottom.  We are now in the conversation with Illinois and Rutgers.

3 hours ago, brophog said:

I don't know that we are better in Year 3 than Year 1. I think we are. I think the floor for this team against bottom to mid tier Big Ten teams is higher than year 1. I think if we want to win these next 3 games then we do. It's hard to say because this team feels like it doesn't.

But all of that is irrelevant, isn't it? The fact we are even asking the question is an answer unto itself.

good post

39 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Big Ten has 3 teams in the top 6 of this week's AP.  Even I can do that math.  If 1/3 of the top 6 teams are from the conference, I am pretty sure everyone can agree it is not an average conference.  Far far from it.  There are multiple very good teams.  It does seem to indicate how wide the talent gap has become between the few at the top and those at the bottom.  We are now in the conversation with Illinois and Rutgers.

Michigan State and Iowa were highest Big 10 teams in the rankings a couple years ago, and were both blasted in their bowl games by teams from other conferences. Those scores were embarrassing for the conference.

13 minutes ago, moveitforward said:

Michigan State and Iowa were highest Big 10 teams in the rankings a couple years ago, and were both blasted in their bowl games by teams from other conferences. Those scores were embarrassing for the conference.

We got beat by Tennessee.  Tennessee.  Talk about embarassing.  Oh and even though we won, getting into a bowl based on APR is not something to be proud of..

OK, understand why you posted this thread.  I agree with some parts of it.  Honestly see some of this stuff as well.  5 year for the next head coach, sure, thats right as long as the next guy has some moxie and leadership.  We start to see improvement on the field and in the recruiting wars.  It does take time to rebuild or build a program.  This program needs some form of leadership for the future.  However, if your not seeing any improvement at all, its hard to stand and watch a team just mutter around and continue to get worse.  

The message board crap, thats everywhere.  Most programs have poster who will hammer a team or coach after a bad game.  Alabama last week when A/M was testing them had fans questioning their program!  Its college football.  Fans are often not within any realm of common sense.  If a recruit won't take the challenge of coming here and proving his worth or the teams worth, we don't need them.  Players don't come to programs for the people like us, they come to play for a coach who can get them into the NFL.  Saban has 3 deep at all positions and most are NFL bodies.  Most will get a chance to play in the NFL.  THey don't care that much about Bama and its roots.  This is today in college football, not 1980.