Keep the Kids at Home

BIG ERN

6 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

The bolded is a misconception.  TO was very good about visiting and recruiting in-state kids, but it was to walk-on.  TO didn't give out a ton of schollies to in-state talent.  This probably explains why we had so many walk-ons playing especially on the OL.  With skyrocketing tuition costs, it would be interesting to see whether TO would be able to get as many in-state players to walk-on as he did two and three decades ago.   

# of scholarship Nebraskans in TO's last ten classes:

1997 - 6

1996 - 5

1995 - 8

1994 - 3

1993 - 7

1992 - 9

1991 - 5

1990 - 7

1989 - 3

1988 - 4

# in Riley's classes:

2018 - 2 (commits so far)

2017 - 4

2016 - 2

2015 - 2

And TO had on average about 40 more walkons than Riley currently has on the roster.

4 minutes ago, trouble said:

Including Rahn and Reimers. 10 I believe. 

50% is obviously a slight exaggeration but both starting TEs, 2 starting LBs. 2 WRs.  

As I said, everybody loves the walk on tradition and seeing Nebraska kids succeeding but we wonder why we can't compete with the teams like OSU? Yeah, theres some coaching issues for sure, but it's still a lack of talent. 

Just my unpopular .02

rahn and riemers started over spielman and stanley?   and we had 2 TE out there to start?

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, trouble said:

This day and age is different. 

I grew up watching the Huskers through the late 80s and 90s.  I know the walk on program and the amount of Nebraska kids on those teams. 

College football is not the same. You cannot rely on the same principals and ways that were successful 20+ years ago and anybody who thinks you can is off thier rocker. 

Got anything to back up that nonsense?

TO had 170 players on his rosters and kept them all busy at practice with quality reps.  Is there a good reason that Riley can't do that?  

• Plus1 1

The scholarship offers that go to in-state kids will always be an interesting topic.  I understand that NU fans will mention that the team was full of Nebraska natives when NU was winning national championships in the 90s.  Yes, that's true, but it could have been a historical era of great talent that was in Nebraska at that time.  A number of those Nebraska natives went on to play in the NFL, so that tells me that they were extremely talented players (yes, part of that talent was developed at NU).

I don't know if the Nebraska high school ranks are producing the same talent level that it was in the 80s and 90s.  I haven't seen the in-state talent since 2000, but I would like to think there could be more in-state offers from NU.  I do think that NU could offer a 2-3 more in-state kids each year, but the current and past couple staffs have been slow to offer in-state kids.  I think one huge thing that is hurting the walk-on program is the cost of walking-on and the prestige of getting a college scholarship offer, even if it's from Wyoming, Ohio, or an FCS school.  It's extremely frustrating when NU loses in-state guys to Iowa, Wisconsin, Kansas State, Stanford, etc. but that has been happening as long as I have been following Nebraska since the early 80s.  There have always been 1 or 2 top guys each year that choose to go elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, trouble said:

Technically no, but they get rotated in enough that you can throw them in the rotation.

Our Depth chart has 2 TEs spots. 

i see.  originally you said we had too many nebraska kids starting so i thought you were talking about our starters....not the entire depth chart.    

2 minutes ago, commando said:

i see.  originally you said we had too many nebraska kids starting so i thought you were talking about our starters....not the entire depth chart.    

Semantics. Im not talking about guys buried on the depth chart and you know it. Both those guys see plenty of snaps every game.

18 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Got anything to back up that nonsense?

TO had 170 players on his rosters and kept them all busy at practice with quality reps.  Is there a good reason that Riley can't do that?  

You're talking to me about nonsense? Like half the crap that spews from your fingers on this board since you joined?

There's a ton of problems with this team and the coaching staff, but too few Nebraska kids isn't one of them. 

To speak towards the landscape of college football being different.  If you can't see that with your own eyes, then I'm not going to waste time explaining it to you as you won't understand it in the first place.

We all know you hate Riley and want him gone.  I'm not even going to argue with that as I think he will be gone at the end of the year and that's probably whats best for the program.  I don't disagree but if you think Frost is going to come in this door and recruit all Nebraska kids and then we will be back to our glory days then you are crazier than I thought. 

We need more pure TALENT and speed on the field.  If that comes from a Nebraska kid, then great, but I'm tired of watching kids like Weber and Gifford chase after slot guys and RBs because they can't keep up and actually cover them.  Both those kids have motors that won't quit and work thier ass off and I appreciate that but I'd rather have a faster/more athletic guy out there that can actually cover and make plays (And yes, part of that is on the coaches to put them in a position to succeed).

Edited by trouble
  • Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, trouble said:

To speak towards the landscape of college football being different.  If you can't see that with your own eyes, then I'm not going to waste time explaining it to you as you won't understand it in the first place.

It was a rhetorical question.  I knew you didn't have anything to back up that nonsense.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

# of scholarship Nebraskans in TO's last ten classes:

1997 - 6

1996 - 5

1995 - 8

1994 - 3

1993 - 7

1992 - 9

1991 - 5

1990 - 7

1989 - 3

1988 - 4

# in Riley's classes:

2018 - 2 (commits so far)

2017 - 4

2016 - 2

2015 - 2

And TO had on average about 40 more walkons than Riley currently has on the roster.

I never said he didn't give any schollies to NE kids.  Heck, we have a coach on staff that was one of the most memorable walk-ons:  John Parrella.  My quote was in reference to OL.  We had some great ones that were walk-ons like Adam Treu and Joel Wilks.  We also had a couple of battering ram brothers at FB:  Jeff and Joel Mackovicka. 

4 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I never said he didn't give any schollies to NE kids.  Heck, we have a coach on staff that was one of the most memorable walk-ons:  John Parrella.  My quote was in reference to OL.  We had some great ones that were walk-ons like Adam Treu and Joel Wilks.  We also had a couple of battering ram brothers at FB:  Jeff and Joel Mackovicka. 

John wasn't a typical walk-on.  He chose Colorado first.  I think he then had an issue with getting in, or quit and went to Nebraska.  I think he may even have had an offer from Nebraska initially I can't remember the exact story. 

9 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Yes, we had a lot of walkon OL.  But the majority of TO's scholarship OL recruits were also from Nebraska.

STOP with the recruiting comparisons decades ago. 

The Prop 48 Big 8 rules for eligibility were different.  (It gave NE a big advantage)

Television coverage was different. (Only a few schools were on TV each weekend years ago.  Now coverage is from morning to late night and streaming makes it even more accessible)

The amount of scholarships allowed was higher.  (It went from 105 to 95 and then down to 85)

Football is a win now industry.  Nobody will care if you gave all the kids in the state a scholarship. Feel good stories won't save your job and you better win inside of 4 years.

The amount of schools who gave football scholarships at the D1 level was different.  (There are good programs where kids can go and get a free education and play sooner)

The cost of college is exorbitant. (The JJ Watt stories are rare.  Few kids can afford to walk-on with the price of school when they can get a full ride elsewhere)

Yes, we need recruitment to improve, but at least know the game has changed so the formula also has too. 

• Plus1 2