Keep the Kids at Home

BIG ERN

I played HS football with 2 kids in the mid-80s that turned down scholarships from ISU, KSU, KS, WY, Iowa, and other schools to walk on at Nebraska.  They both had talent but fizzled out.

That was mid-80s tuition costs.  Unless money isn't an issue for the parents, I can't imagine turning down a full-ride to walk on with tuition costs now.

<----  Parent of a kid that was only offered a basic academic scholarship to UNL but earned a complete full-ride academic scholarship to an out-of-state P5 school.  First semester cost $12.50 only because her dorm is nicer than a 4-star hotel.

Edited by WhatDoIKnow
  • Plus1 1

From experience...I have coached six kids in the last five years who are now on scholarship and playing for Power Five schools...Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, TCU and Michigan State.  Nebraska only talked with one of them and that was because his father was a former Husker.  Maybe it's time to look at work ethic and potential instead of stars and rankings?

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

From experience...I have coached six kids in the last five years who are now on scholarship and playing for Power Five schools...Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, TCU and Michigan State.  Nebraska only talked with one of them and that was because his father was a former Husker.  Maybe it's time to look at work ethic and potential instead of stars and rankings?

Intersting. Did you have any communication with Nebraska or any of the other programs about this? Was there any desire from any of these schools to build an institutional relation? That's a grab bag of schools there, so I'm a bit curious as to the ways different programs handled things.

Both Iowa State and Iowa are very good about establishing relationships with kids, parents and coaching staffs...and not above leaning on parents when it comes to legacy players (i.e. Allan Lazard from Urbandale).  Iowa has a real big presence in central Iowa and Iowa State's sphere is growing.  These two seem to pick off most of the recruits   The other schools had various ins with families or friends.  We have a good amount of potential D1 footballers in Iowa but other than in state schools, nobody pays much attention unless we actively promote them to other schools.  I leave that decision up to the player and his parents.  I digress...yes, we did actively promote a couple of these players to Nebraska but didn't get any scholarship offers.  One ended up at Iowa with a full ride scholarship and the other walked on at Iowa State and earned his football scholarship last year.  Did any of that answer the question or do I need to take some more Robitussin and go to bed?

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Dowling is now the powerhouse in Iowa...move over Valley 

9 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Both Iowa State and Iowa are very good about establishing relationships with kids, parents and coaching staffs...and not above leaning on parents when it comes to legacy players (i.e. Allan Lazard from Urbandale).  Iowa has a real big presence in central Iowa and Iowa State's sphere is growing.  These two seem to pick off most of the recruits   The other schools had various ins with families or friends.  We have a good amount of potential D1 footballers in Iowa but other than in state schools, nobody pays much attention unless we actively promote them to other schools.  I leave that decision up to the player and his parents.  I digress...yes, we did actively promote a couple of these players to Nebraska but didn't get any scholarship offers.  One ended up at Iowa with a full ride scholarship and the other walked on at Iowa State and earned his football scholarship last year.  Did any of that answer the question or do I need to take some more Robitussin and go to bed?

Great insights on both posts Cy. Appreciate your contribution to the board. 

This thread is amusing IMO. 

I was at the game last Saturday and when they were going through the starting lineups all I could think was... " We have too many NE kids starting".

Im all fine with the NE walk on story and what not but 50% of our starters shouldn't be Nebraska kids. You act like we cant pull talent from other regions.  Are there some names that get away? Sure, but getting more Nebraska kids isn't going to save this program.  Getting kids that have the talent to run the system and scheme is what will help.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, trouble said:

I was at the game last Saturday and when they were going through the starting lineups all I could think was... " We have too many NE kids starting".

Im all fine with the NE walk on story and what not but 50% of our starters shouldn't be Nebraska kids. You act like we cant pull talent from other regions.  Are there some names that get away? Sure, but getting more Nebraska kids isn't going to save this program.  Getting kids that have the talent to run the system and scheme is what will help.

The '97 Husker offense just called.  They LOLed.

• Plus1 3
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, BartonHusker said:

Majority of Wisconsin's offensive lineman are from Wisconsin.  

There have been some pretty good lineman  have gone off to places like Wyoming or Ohio as of late. Kids Osborne likely would've taken but now we don't go after as hard because they may not be "tall enough".  Those kids are pretty much starting at those schools immediately.   Honestly I think Walker is going to be a good lineman for us and he was headed for Wyoming until the last moment.  Rush, Arnold and Stofer would've probably done just as well or if not better in the future than many of the lineman we currently have.

The bolded is a misconception.  TO was very good about visiting and recruiting in-state kids, but it was to walk-on.  TO didn't give out a ton of schollies to in-state talent.  This probably explains why we had so many walk-ons playing especially on the OL.  With skyrocketing tuition costs, it would be interesting to see whether TO would be able to get as many in-state players to walk-on as he did two and three decades ago.   

8 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

The '97 Husker offense just called.  They LOLed.

This day and age is different. 

I grew up watching the Huskers through the late 80s and 90s.  I know the walk on program and the amount of Nebraska kids on those teams. 

College football is not the same. You cannot rely on the same principals and ways that were successful 20+ years ago and anybody who thinks you can is off thier rocker. 

23 minutes ago, trouble said:

how many nebraska kids started?   i think we had maybe 6 starters from nebraska on the offense and defense combined unless there were some starters due to injury that i can't recall.

3 minutes ago, commando said:

how many nebraska kids started?   i think we had maybe 6 starters from nebraska on the offense and defense combined unless there were some starters due to injury that i can't recall.

Including Rahn and Reimers. 10 I believe. 

50% is obviously a slight exaggeration but both starting TEs, 2 starting LBs. 2 WRs.  

As I said, everybody loves the walk on tradition and seeing Nebraska kids succeeding but we wonder why we can't compete with the teams like OSU? Yeah, theres some coaching issues for sure, but it's still a lack of talent. 

Just my unpopular .02