Hardest Hitting Husker For The Past

Here's a story to cheer you all up and take your mind off of your problems...cuz I like a happy Husker much more than a morose one...

I recently found my game films from 1984 so took a look to remind myself why I ever was stupid enough to play football.  My senior year...we weren't good, or even mediocre...the usual ISU team.  When we were playing Nebraska, We did some two tight end sets because Alex Espinosa was getting crushed when we tried passing.  Our D was actually doing real well (until the beer and cigarettes kicked in in the 4th, after which we got buried)...so we were going with the 1 yard and a cloud of dust option three times then punt game plan (you all should consider Jim Criner to be your new coach...everybody already hates him) and I was getting a few reps.  I pretty much got manhandled on both sides of the formation.  I counted three times that #87 pretty much ran me over and one time where #90 just picked me up and threw me.  But, the hardest hit I took that entire game was when some little pissant DB got me right in the ribs, knocked the wind out of me and left me laying on the field thinking the last thing I was going to see before I died was the face of our butt ugly trainer.  Unfortunately, I lived to lose another day and had a wonderful bruise that was the color of a beautiful fall sunset.  #10 the kid's number was.  He was real ugly and missing all his teeth and had crossed eyes...actually, I didn't even see him coming...but I could smell him!  You damn Huskers!  

Anyway...that kid could him like a ton of bricks.  He gets my "Hardest Husker Hitter" award...

I'm going to get these tapes digitized.  I'll post some clips when I can

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Here's a story to cheer you all up and take your mind off of your problems...cuz I like a happy Husker much more than a morose one...

I recently found my game films from 1984 so took a look to remind myself why I ever was stupid enough to play football.  My senior year...we weren't good, or even mediocre...the usual ISU team.  When we were playing Nebraska, We did some two tight end sets because Alex Espinosa was getting crushed when we tried passing.  Our D was actually doing real well (until the beer and cigarettes kicked in in the 4th, after which we got buried)...so we were going with the 1 yard and a cloud of dust option three times then punt game plan (you all should consider Jim Criner to be your new coach...everybody already hates him) and I was getting a few reps.  I pretty much got manhandled on both sides of the formation.  I counted three times that #87 pretty much ran me over and one time where #90 just picked me up and threw me.  But, the hardest hit I took that entire game was when some little pissant DB got me right in the ribs, knocked the wind out of me and left me laying on the field thinking the last thing I was going to see before I died was the face of our butt ugly trainer.  Unfortunately, I lived to lose another day and had a wonderful bruise that was the color of a beautiful fall sunset.  #10 the kid's number was.  He was real ugly and missing all his teeth and had crossed eyes...actually, I didn't even see him coming...but I could smell him!  You damn Huskers!  

Anyway...that kid could him like a ton of bricks.  He gets my "Hardest Husker Hitter" award...

I'm going to get these tapes digitized.  I'll post some clips when I can

I'd like to see the clips, please post.  Also, can you let us know your number so we can laugh at with you?

Edited by 4skers89

3 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Never knew...couldn't even remember the number till I watched the tape.  The only player I matched up a name with a number was Straussburg.  I held him real good on one play and Westemeyer told me not to do that again cuz "Straussburg will kick your ass and then kick mine cuz I'm next to you"

#90 was Scott Strasburger. Later became a team doctor and orthopedic surgeon.... unfortunately he got caught prescribing some special "medicine" for himself.

#87..... Bill Weber?

What's really, really odd about this game is there are no names on the road uniforms. That was highly unusual. I'm generally kind of a uniform buff and my experience has been that Nebraska has always had names on the back of the road jerseys going back to 1980, although for many years the home uniforms did not (except on senior day and bowl games).

#10 was indeed Bret Clark and in '84 he was a consensus All-American.

12 hours ago, FTW said:

Scott Frost's block on a helpless A&M defender after a Bobby Newcombe run in the 1997 Big XII Championship game. It would be flagged today. He killed that defender. You don't ever see QB's do that but Frost was a big, strong dude. It was a smashing hit.

I watched that video - of most of the game -- amazing how good we were back then. Frost was amazing in the game besides throwing that huge block.   Here is an amazing  note from the game and a clue why we've been out of the running for 16 years.   Coaching consistency and longevity. 

image.png.655a9f02692234fe4ccac4574e503466.png

• Plus1 1
On 10/20/2017 at 11:16 AM, TGHusker said:

I watched that video - of most of the game -- amazing how good we were back then. Frost was amazing in the game besides throwing that huge block.   Here is an amazing  note from the game and a clue why we've been out of the running for 16 years.   Coaching consistency and longevity. 

image.png.655a9f02692234fe4ccac4574e503466.png

I don't think that will happen ever again in FBS.  Only coaches with ties to their school can pull that off..  Smart UGA, Gundy OSU,