'Very, Very Average' QBs in B1G West

Mavric

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And LSU and Florida have struggled with QB play with those ex-Purdue QB's.  The NFL will take a lot of guys to be backups because they are smart and can pick up the NFL system.  I actually expect Tanner Lee to catch on as a back-up in the NFL because of his strong arm and exposure to a NFL system in college.  It doesn't make these Big Ten QB's good college QB's though. 

Danny Etling is #9 in the country in yards per attempt.  Hornibrook is #6.  Both ranked ahead of Barrett and Mcsorley.  The average QB's have a lot to do with below average WR and more run based philosophy of the teams due to personnel.

2 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Your look at the East total offenses basically shows the same thing as the West.  Not a lot of great over all offense in the Big 10.  That may be a reflection of the defense that is play in the league also, don't you think.  

Are the B1G defenses really that good though?  Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Rutgers, Illinois, Maryland, Northwestern all have terrible offenses no matter who they play.

This is partly why I had hopes for the Riley experiment.  We were going to be different.  What's disappointing is that, so far, we've only been different like Indiana has been in the other division.  They've been pass-heavy and largely underwhelming a lot of seasons.

I don't know that I'd say that Nebraska has to be all about defense and the running game but we have to recognize that's what our top division foes are about and lay plans to counter it.  Finesse doesn't seem to be the way even with our supposed talent advantage.

p.s. - I've watched enough games to know that Glen shouldn't talk.

Edited by beorach
1 hour ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Are the B1G defenses really that good though?  Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Rutgers, Illinois, Maryland, Northwestern all have terrible offenses no matter who they play.

Yes, as a whole this is impressive for the conference

Scoring defenses:

Penn State 1st 

Wisconsin 6th

Ohio St 10th 

Michigan St 13th 

Iowa 20th 

Michigan 22nd

Minnesota 25th

Purdue 26th

Northwestern 49th 

Rutgers 51st 

Indiana 56th

Illinois 89th

Nebraska 94th 

Maryland 112th

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Scoring defenses:

Penn State 1st 

Wisconsin 6th

Ohio St 10th 

Michigan St 13th 

Iowa 20th 

Michigan 22nd

Minnesota 25th

Purdue 26th

Northwestern 49th 

Rutgers 51st 

Indiana 56th

Illinois 89th

Nebraska 94th 

Maryland 112th

Scoring offenses:

Ohio State 2nd

Penn State 17th

Wisconsin 27th

Maryland 62nd

Minnesota 74th

Iowa 81st

Northwestern 83rd

Nebraska 85th

Indiana 88th

Michigan 89th

Purdue 95th

Michigan State 102nd

Rutgers 103rd

Illinois 122nd

All you have to do is watch the games to realize it isn't good defense that holds these terrible offenses back.  Most B1G offenses are terrible and help skew the B1G defensive numbers.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Undone said:

I've been wondering about this lately - Is this maybe due to how prolific the zone read offense is these days, even at the high school level?

I attribute it more to college offenses not adequately preparing QBs for what NFL OCs and HCs like to do. It's a bit telling that more and more NFL teams are beginning to use spread and zone read principles in their offenses. 

26 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I attribute it more to college offenses not adequately preparing QBs for what NFL OCs and HCs like to do. It's a bit telling that more and more NFL teams are beginning to use spread and zone read principles in their offenses. 

The high school and college offenses like to take away the decision making from the QB, and make it mostly based on pre-snap reads.  They don't want to have to teach a QB how to read defenses and make the appropriate throw.  They want that variable taken out of the QB's hands and head. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The high school and college offenses like to take away the decision making from the QB, and make it mostly based on pre-snap reads.  They don't want to have to teach a QB how to read defenses and make the appropriate throw.  They want that variable taken out of the QB's hands and head. 

This. And they take audibles away from QBs, too, with the check-with-me's before the snap. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Scoring offenses:

Ohio State 2nd

Penn State 17th

Wisconsin 27th

Maryland 62nd

Minnesota 74th

Iowa 81st

Northwestern 83rd

Nebraska 85th

Indiana 88th

Michigan 89th

Purdue 95th

Michigan State 102nd

Rutgers 103rd

Illinois 122nd

All you have to do is watch the games to realize it isn't good defense that holds these terrible offenses back.  Most B1G offenses are terrible and help skew the B1G defensive numbers.

I agree, but that's what usually helps make good defenses. Control the clock and don't turn the ball over. 

7 on 7 leagues are great at developing passers, but not really great Qb's.  I have watched this and admire it from afar, but think that it is not producing great Quarterback players.  Robots who can make quick short passes to a wide open receiver.  Pre determined plays.  Seldomly do you see a quarterback check his progressions in any level of football.  Just a few do it.  

7 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Scoring defenses:

Penn State 1st 

Wisconsin 6th

Ohio St 10th 

Michigan St 13th 

Iowa 20th 

Michigan 22nd

Minnesota 25th

Purdue 26th

Northwestern 49th 

Rutgers 51st 

Indiana 56th

Illinois 89th

Nebraska 94th 

Maryland 112th

We seem to do our best to help QBs rankings improve.

• Mavric changed the title to 'Very, Very Average' QBs in B1G West

So the rest of the football world at all levels is evolving to make the QB position more simple? High school and colleges are running simple, spread principles, designed to make reads quick and easy and get WR's in space. Instead of keeping up with the times, B1G teams are running old school, more complexed schemes, that require NFL minds at QB. Sounds great for producing NFL QB's but the B1G West offenses will continue to suffer if we don't catch up with the times.