Why am I a Husker fan?

As is the case for a lot of you I imagine, Husker football is where my Dad and I share our strongest bond. I can honestly say that I've never missed a Nebraska football game. Whether that be on t.v., radio, or in person (thanks to the DVR I have gotten a late start on a handful). I was born in Papillion, NE (Thanks, Mom). Lived in Nebraska until I was 12, then we moved to SWMO where I've lived ever since. I loved Nebraska football for as long as I can remember,  and the move to an enemy state did nothing but strengthen that love/connection. I grew up during the glory days (90's), but spent most of my teenage/college years defending the program like it was my own child. Being from Nebraska, and a Husker fan is a badge of honor I wear everyday proudly. Wouldn't want to be from anywhere else. The people, the place, and our football program are truly special.

• Plus1 1

Even though I was born and raised here, I've always lived really close to both Kansas and Colorado.  Young fans when I was growing up in these parts didn't have the ties with the program.  Heck, there were more OU shirts in our school from the time I was in kindergarten to middle school.  Then, there were more CU shirts when I was in high school.  The time when most kids my age really became Nebraska fans was later in our high school years.  It was primarily because kids we knew and played against became Huskers either through scholarship or walk-on.  Some of the Huskers who played during the run I knew long before they became Huskers.  Between this and me being an alumn is where my being a fan really got going.  I say let young kids find their own way to becoming fans.  They may not start out that way, but more than likely they'll eventually find their way.

Army brat born in texas, but family stationed in Anchorage, AK soon after. Texan father was an abusive, drunk, drug-addict and my mom found refuge in a relationship with an E-3 farmboy from Neligh, NE. He got out, and brought my mom, my brother, and I back to God's Country when I was 4. Got into Husker football in late '88 and the big time in '89.

As many have mentioned, family is a big deal in this, and my father angrily throwing wood into the back of our old Ford and kicking its tires as Gdowski's last pass fell incomplete against the Buffs sticks with me even now. It was a loss, but eight-year-old me knew the Big Red was a big deal, and I was hooked, even after the thrashing Bowden's Seminoles put on us in the Fiesta bowl later on. Riding home that frigid night in that old truck after the bowl game, I remember thinking "I can't wait until next year!" 

As with many, finances and drinking were bigger problems than my parents could deal with, so we didn't know where our next meal was coming from at times, or if we could make it through another brutal winter's night without heat - there was a lot of uncertainty. But not with the Big Red. They were solid and reliable. Through those tumultuous times through the 90's, I lived vicariously through the Huskers' strength, not knowing just how awesome and special the whole thing was. 

Though I am an irrational middle-aged guy, I do still realize these are kids on the turf, they themselves working through growing and maturity, but I think what we all really loved and respected was the system. It was how Osborne could take young men from very different backgrounds, and put it all together, the perfect example being that incredible '94 season. All do respect, but could you imagine any team these days winning with Matt Turman in at quarterback? (don't get me wrong, I love the Turmanator) But Osborne and McBride did it.  Deep down, we all knew that Osborne was a once-in-a-generation kind of coach and person. I met him last year, and he's the most down-to-earth, humble guy I'd ever want to meet, and it only confirms what younger me used to admire about the team and Osborne. That coaching staff cared a lot more about the kids they recruited than how many wins they could get with them. THAT is why I'm a fan.

I was born in Omaha, but outside of that I never lived in the state of Nebraska.  Spent most my life in Georgia and So-Cal.  I'm a Husker fan because they represent to me everything that's right with America.  They represent a state of people that bust their ass to get what they get and don't expect handouts from anyone. Just like my parents and their parents. The Husker have always represented the "good guys" to me.  Not in the sense that every fan feels, but in the sense that I have always felt they were a clean program who didn't represent drunk rednecks living vicariously through their team, but hardworking families. I have been to plenty of So-Cal and SEC game-days and there is nothing to this day like Lincoln, NE.  My sisters boyfriend went with us for the Oregon game a year ago, as a die hard and lifelong Georgia fan he admitted to me that he had never been to a game-day like that day.  Its a one of a kind team for a one of a kind place.  I have faith they will be back. No good program has ever avoided having down periods and we are no exception.  We will be back because Nebraska is special, in its fans, facilities, traditions, culture, and prosperity. I go back every year for a game for the last 8 years.  This year will be no different. 

• Plus1 1

In order to answer this question you first have to address the deliberate changes that have been made by the NCAA in an attempt to cut down on injuries.

The chop blocks that were the staple of Osborne’s running game no longer exist. In its place is the west coast chorus line style of blocking. Can you still run downhill like a herd of buffalo? Sure, if you’re playing the lightweight sisters of the poor. Once you come upon an athletic equivalent team, that style doesn’t amount to much.

Also, not only have they outlawed hard hitting, but with the help of DisnESPN they’ve also had an ongoing campaign to eliminate ‘mean’ coaches.

Callahan was ridiculed for making evil throat signs, Leach was a wicked coach who abused donors kids, Mangino was a big fat bully, and we’re all well aware of the national spectacle that was Mean Bo Pelini.

In light of all that, I’m fine with the Frost brand of spread toughness that utilizes the new safe parameters but still accomplishes much of the old style that we like.

As far as lockdown defenses go, the deck is stacked to favor the razzle dazzle offenses and I believe you’re gonna have a big defensive bust from time to time...just something that comes with the territory.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

In order to answer this question you first have to address the deliberate changes that have been made by the NCAA in an attempt to cut down on injuries.

The chop blocks that were the staple of Osborne’s running game no longer exist. In its place is the west coast chorus line style of blocking. Can you still run downhill like a herd of buffalo? Sure, if you’re playing the lightweight sisters of the poor. Once you come upon an athletic equivalent team, that style doesn’t amount to much.

Also, not only have they outlawed hard hitting, but with the help of DisnESPN they’ve also had an ongoing campaign to eliminate ‘mean’ coaches.

Callahan was ridiculed for making evil throat signs, Leach was a wicked coach who abused donors kids, Mangino was a big fat bully, and we’re all well aware of the national spectacle that was Mean Bo Pelini.

In light of all that, I’m fine with the Frost brand of spread toughness that utilizes the new safe parameters but still accomplishes much of the old style that we like.

As far as lockdown defenses go, the deck is stacked to favor the razzle dazzle offenses and I believe you’re gonna have a big defensive bust from time to time...just something that comes with the territory.

So this is why you are a Husker fan Hayseed?

Born in Nebraska and lived there until I was 16.  Remember going to games in the early 80s with my Dad.  He'd get the season tickets his work had when there was a game no one wanted to go to.  I remember a game where we beat Pacific like 77-0.  We literally had the 5th string in.  Pacific doesn't even have a football team any more I believe.  Most of the games I got to go to were like that but they were still great fun.  Remember going to one Oklahoma game in the mid 80s (I think we lost).  Distinctly remember a bumper sticker that said 'If I owned Hell and Oklahoma, I'd live in Hell and rent out Oklahoma"

Was always a fan even though I went to another school out of state (Virginia Tech).  I saw more Nebraska games than VT games when i was in college (although to be fair, VT wasn't that good then).  Got my first job in Arizona and went to the Debacle in the Desert wearing Husker red.  Watched in total disbelief as the team that was probably the best team in the history of college football in 1995 got stomped by ASU.  Scott Frost looked like a deer in the headlights (and to be honest I don't blame him).  Our D had apparently never seen a bubble screen before and ASU ran about 100 of them.

Haven't lived in Nebraska since 1986 but have been back a few times for family... but still love Husker football because I was brought up to love it.

Have followed and been a fan of Nebraska ever since I was young.

Born and raised in Louisiana, have never stepped foot in Nebraska.

When I was little my family was LSU fans which meant that by proxy I was an LSU fan.  Tigers played Nebraska in the 1985 Sugar Bowl (I was 5), watched the game on TV and I was amazed by Nebraska and became a fan.  All I wanted after that point was Nebraska items.  I would watch the Huskers on TV pretty religously after that.

It is amazing as I would rarely watch LSU games on TV with my family, never held my interest.  But once I watched Nebraska I would watch every second of every game I could.  Never got tired of it.

Have been to some Husker games througout my life (Indy Bowl, BIG XII championship, softball series at aTm and a softball regional at LSU (ESPN zoomed in on me) and a few baseball games.  Felt totally "at home" around Husker fans as opposed to when I would go to LSU games with my family and never really felt like I "fit in".

I find that the culture around Nebraska football in general fits my personality.

Edited by louisianared

Born and raised in Nebraska

UNL alumni, never thought that anywhere else was better (good program in my field of study as well)

Met my wife in college; she is an alumni as well.

I remember playing football in my neighborhood on fall Saturdays, listening to the game on the radio, arguing who got to be Dave Humm or Rick Berns or I.M. Hipp in our game.

I remember all those losses to Oklahoma or to a fast Florida team and wondering when it would be our turn to win the big one.

I remember complaining how TO could never win the big one, but never even thinking that we should make a change.  He was the guy for us; he was OUR guy.

But even with those losses, knowing we did it the right way (most of the time) and still being proud of how hard the team worked and proud of the coaches for giving their best.  The Huskers were OUR team!

I remember that 1994 championship, while watching the game at my in-laws.  Everyone else went to bed when Brooke threw that pick, but I knew that the game wasn't over yet.  It couldn't be.  And when Corey scored, I woke the house up because I couldn't stop yelling GBR!

I remember the 95 and 97 championships were just as special, in their own ways.

Not nearly as many joyous occasions since then, but the Huskers are still MY team.

GBR

• Plus1 1

Born and raised in Northern California, still reside here.  Always been a Husker fan...why?  I don't know.  I do have family in Nebraska and went to my first home game a few years ago when they played my alma mater (San Jose State).  An experience I will never forget.  I have been to a few games when NU played in the Bay Area: Against CAL and the Foster Farms Chicken Bowl against UCLA.  GBR.  BTW, I'm new here on Huskerboard.

Edited by Huskerboxerpapa
53 minutes ago, Huskerboxerpapa said:

Born and raised in Northern California, still reside here.  Always been a Husker fan...why?  I don't know.  I do have family in Nebraska and went to my first home game a few years ago when they played my alma mater (San Jose State).  An experience I will never forget.  I have been to a few games when NU played in the Bay Area: Against CAL and the Foster Farms Chicken Bowl against UCLA.  GBR.  BTW, I'm new here on Huskerboard.

Welcome Huskerboxerpapa and thank you for chiming in!  This has been such a refreshing thread! Please feel free to jump in on any thread!