Anyone catch Bill Moos on Sharpe and Benning?

jauken

Wanted others opinions but got distinct impression that he will not make a quick decision (even though I believe the choices are obvious) that he needs to quickly. 

It was my impression that he has every intention of retaining Riley.  I don’t know what everyone else’s opinion but that’s what I got out of it.  Trust me I wanted a different view but that is what I derived. 

Anyone hear the interview and thought the same or different??

• Plus1 1

He wants to keep unity in the team for now. The loss to PSU and Iowa will seal the deal (if it's not already done). He's use to bringing in football coaches and was hired to fix the football mess. I dare say that season ticket demand and sellout streak will go in the toilet if MR is retained. Moos is smarter than that. MR is a dead man walking imo. 

• Plus1 2

Didn't listen - but I'd say the best of this Moos situation (in addition to his experience and smarts) is that he comes with no preconceived notions or biases ... he can look at the FB program and ask questions, interview long term and short term staff and students to learn about the history and immediate past and make a decision that he thinks is right for the long and short term of the university.  Financially as well as sports programs performance, athlete graduations, alumni involvement etc.

I'm grateful there is someone in that position that won't just fold to familiarity - that will use fact & experience to make a decision.

• Plus1 2

Just listened to the segment.  Listening to Moos's key points, I don't see how he would bring Riley and his staff back.

Moos pointed out toughness (physical and emotional), as being a key item for successful football teams.  If he were watching the Purdue game closely, he probably didn't see much physical toughness shown by Nebraska.  Our o-line was getting whipped all game, and we had guys lying on the ground all game.  Now, the 4th quarter come back may have been an example of mental toughness, but that mental toughness has been inconsistent at NU under Riley.

His commentary on Riley directly is Moos being courteous and professional towards Riley and the team.  Moos made comments about having coaches in mind for that particular program, conference, and area.  I can't think he would watch Riley's teams and think that the offensive style that Riley prefers to play with would be successful in the long-term at Nebraska.

Moos wants to talk with Riley to get an understanding of his philosophy and his recruiting efforts, and digest all the information.  Again, I don't see how Riley will answer things in that conversation will be in line with Moos's philosophy.  Riley is a nice guy, and the two men know each other, but I just think that Riley's football philosophy is completely different for what Moos has for Nebraska.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, brophog said:

The irony is, this IS how you beat Northwestern.

I won't have a problem with Riley and Langsdorf throwing the ball 50 times in order to beat Northwestern.  That's what they should do, given NW's defensive strength and the current strength of NU's offense.

However, that type of offense isn't a recipe for long-term success for Nebraska in the Big Ten.

• Plus1 2

If Moos retains Riley he will be known as the AD that ended the sellout streak. He and Riley will then ride off into the sunset together into retirement 2-3 years from now after the fans continue to dwindle with their investment into the program and the UNL administration sees they need to make another change.