Diaco sounding off against Rugby Tackling

21 minutes ago, husker98 said:

I agree 100 percent. However I don't think Moos is loving any of this.

If anything I bet it irritated him. Moos doesn't strike me as the kind of man who accepts excuses. From what I read and hear I think he expects discipline and professionalism from his coaches at all times. Diaco failed on both counts. 

The more I see the heightened level of volatility surrounded this program the more angry and frustrated I become at Eichorst. 

Eichorst is so incompetent, he literally was so arrogant that he decided to make decisions without any advice from anyone but himself. 

Eichorst should never be allowed to work at another University  again. I always heard you can judge a man by his kids. Well, Eichorst's 18 year  old son just sexual assaulted a 12 year old boy. The lack of leadership from Eichorst transcended every facet of his life. I don't think it is fair to ignore any of this, as it seems completely relevant at showing that Eichorst has zero leadership skills. And NU is paying for it. 

Edited by timmytbro

5 minutes ago, timmytbro said:

The more I see the heightened level of volatility surrounded this program the more angry and frustrated I become at Eichorst. 

Eichorst is so incompetent, he literally was so arrogant that he decided to make decisions without any advice from anyone but himself. 

Eichorst should never be allowed to work at another University  again. I always heard you can judge a man by his kids. Well, Eichorst's 18 year  old son just sexual assaulted a 12 year old boy. The lack of leadership from Eichorst transcended every facet of his life. I don't think it is fair to ignore any of this, as it seems completely relevant at showing that Eichorst has zero leadership skills. And NU is paying for it. 

I think judging Eichorst by the actions of his kid is a little misguided. As a parent, I try to teach my children from right and wrong, but it’s still up to them to make their own decisions. Sometimes they are going to make bad decisions.

I made a TON of bad decisions as a kid, and I was one of the “good kids”. It doesn’t mean my parents did a bad job raising me.

Do you think the parents of that guy who shot up that church in Texas are bad parents? Sometimes the kid is a bad seed, and does things that are beyond his/her parents’ control. 

• Plus1 3
24 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think judging Eichorst by the actions of his kid is a little misguided. As a parent, I try to teach my children from right and wrong, but it’s still up to them to make their own decisions. Sometimes they are going to make bad decisions.

I made a TON of bad decisions as a kid, and I was one of the “good kids”. It doesn’t mean my parents did a bad job raising me.

Do you think the parents of that guy who shot up that church in Texas are bad parents? Sometimes the kid is a bad seed, and does things that are beyond his/her parents’ control. 

well I was sort of labeled a bad kid. Had girlfriends,skateboarded, you know the usual. But It never dawned on me to be a pedophile because my parents raised me right. 

Edited by timmytbro
  • Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

I could care less about the he said/he said going on here, but the below quote from Banker drove me insane.  Why weren't they doing their normal tackle drills in bowl prep?  What else weren't they doing in bowl prep that they normally did?

The only time Nebraska didn’t use the tackling drills in practices? Before the Music City Bowl.

“And it showed,” Banker said.

This, from a 30 year coach.......

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, timmytbro said:

Eichorst was a fool, no doubt. But i think we are forgetting we were in a similar mess 10 years ago, similar threads, incompetence being chief among them.

We get Eichorst after Tom steps down, who then made an eerily similar comment as former AD Peterson almost 10 years ago on the day he fired Bo after a 9 win season, only this time he was insulting Iowa instead of Texas and Oklahoma.

He then went off on his own, did not consult anyone on his search, he felt he knew exactly what was needed for the team. just like Peterson did.

His hire was out of left field unexpected, didn't make a ton of sense. Just like Peterson did. 

He hired a coach who's system wasn't a good fit for our current players, forcing a complete reset, rebuild situation. Just like Peterson did.

And just like the result we got with Peterson, we got again here 10 years later. A collapse, implosion. whatever you want to call it.

How both events transpired, from beginning to end, is too eerily similar to ignore. The implosions/collapse of both teams came as both a surprise and a shock, to the fans, the coaching staff, the AD, and the administration. But when you get such an incredibly similar result you have to look and what connects them.

And Harvey Perlman is that connection.

A great steward of the universities academics. But after this he will go down as the worst thing to ever befall Nebraska Football. 

Our teams haven't be failing because of a lack of talent, or because of some advantage we lost in the 90's. It's because one man enjoyed limitless power over the athletic department, no checks or balances placed upon him, ala bounds to check green here today. 

Far as i can tell we are enjoying this 2007 repeat thanks to Harvey. He had a vision for our football team, i think he meant well. But he failed to learn after 2007 that his vision didn't work.

So he tried again. and here we are today.

The lone positive about the the coming coaching change that gives me real hope for the first time in years is this: Harvey Perlman, nor anyone he hired, will be in a position to influence the decision making process in our search for a new coach.

In 2018 we truly start with a clean slate. Finally.

Edited by husker98

4 hours ago, tfree32 said:

I love Osborne, but he’s made a lot of mistakes that have contributed to the struggles of the football program since he retired.

I disagree.  Choosing Solich as head coach and pressuring to keep the same assistants?  Worked fine until that 7-7 season.  But they rebounded.  Don’t want to open a can of worms, but I do feel that Solich would have succeeded here.

Hiring Bo Pelini — not a mistake.  Osborne hired the guy that everybody wanted at the time.  

• Plus1 2
Just now, secretasianman said:

I disagree.  Choosing Solich as head coach and pressuring to keep the same assistants?  Worked fine until that 7-7 season.  But they rebounded.  Don’t want to open a can of worms, but I do feel that Solich would have succeeded here.

Hiring Bo Pelini — not a mistake.  Osborne hired the guy that everybody wanted at the time.  

Hiring Solich was a huge mistake. Solich could never have succeeded at Nebraska. He lacked the gravitas needed to be a head coach and the players didn’t respect him. Add in his personal issues and he was an exceptionally poor fit. Imagine how Nebraska football history would have changed had we done a genuine national search and hired the best candidate available in 1998.

Hiring Pelini was a huge mistake. You don’t get a pass for hiring the popular candidate, when a cursory background check would have revealed him to be a psychotic a**hole. I wonder who else we could have landed instead of Pelini. My personal favorite at the time was Brian Kelly. But even if he would have passed to take the Notre Dame job, there were other quality candidates out there.

Osborne was a great coach...he’s a living legend. But he has proven to be a poor judge of head coaching ability and of leadership ability. For someone who has a doctorate in psychology, he has some real blind spots when it comes to assessing people.

• Plus1 4

Rugby and college football are two different animals.. Saying rugby style tackling is soft doesn't mean Rugby is soft, it means taking rugby style tackling and putting it in the game of football doesn't work and makes teams soft, at least as far as NU is concerned it did that.

How many other schools have moved to rugby tackling? Not taking about pro teams, pro football is different than college.

Edited by Bornhusker