Turn Around - How long?

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

What makes you think Frost is so much better than Bo?   A successful coach in both pro and college football at top programs?   Or Solich,  the chosen one who learned everything he knows about football from Devaney and Osborne for decades and who was a member of the Husker staff / former player for decades?    Or Callahan, a successful pro and college coach who came with recommendations from former Huskers who had success elsewhere?   Or Riley, who was it appears highly respected and admired by nearly all of the coaching and sports writing community in the country with decades of experience across college and professional ranks?   If you compare resumes of all of these guys, I am not sure, if you took out the names and the fact that Frost is a familiar name to most Husker fans and does not have any apparent 'negative' baggage as far as past Husker or other major college experience (e.g. Turner Gill), that Frost would particularly stand out as obviously the "ONE" choice and future savior of our beloved former program.?

I think it would be fantastic to believe that Frost or any other coach could suddenly transform this team into winners as some are stating so matter of factly!   This is just not realistic in my view.   I hope, if Frost is in fact hired (my son - with contacts inside the department - knowledge says we have offered him and it was rejected as inadequate $$$),. a miracle happens but I would not want to bet my money on it.   The odds are against it NO MATTER WHO WE HIRE!   

It took Tom Osborner 23 years as head coach who took over a two time national championship program to win his first!   I think if Tom took over, we could expect it would take 4 or 5 years to get us back to top ten status!       

First of all, it may have taken TO 23 years to get his first national championship, but nearly every season TO coached his team's final ranking was better than Bo's best team's final ranking. By back, I said 9 wins, which was where we were before MR. And those 9 wins include a couple of embarrassing beat downs every year. Now lets compare Bo, MR, Solich and Frost.

• Bo - Coached 7 P5 seasons, and never lost more than 4 games. Three division championships. This is my standard for back even though many were not happy with this performance. I set the standard here because MR has taken us to an unimaginable level of bad.
  • MR (prior to Nebraska) - career 500 coach who never won anything in college football,  below 500 in 2 of his 3 last seasons. Coached at San Diego, went 14-34, no winning seasons, coached the worst season in Chargers history (1-15). It is easy to see MR was not at Bo's level resume wise. See the many threads on this board that predicted MR's record at Nebraska when he was hired.
  • Solich - 58-19, played for a MNC, best final ranking of #2, no losing seasons, but did have a 7-7 season. IMO, better than Bo, but more variability. One season that was worse than any of Bo's, but more than half of Solich's teams finished with less than 4 losses, something that has not been accomplished since Solich was fired.
  • Frost - learned from some of the best coaches of all time, OC for one of the best offenses in CFB, took over a no win team, and won six games in his first year, is 9-0 and ranked this year. IMO, much better than MR.

The odds are for 9 wins if we do not hire a buffoon. While we have not won a MNC since TO, we have finished #2 in 1999, and played for a MNC in 2001. We had two unfathomable hires (Billy C, and MR), and this board predicted doom in both cases. This board has also listed at least 10 coaches that can quickly get us back to 9 wins. It was just 3 years ago that many said anyone can win 9 games at Nebraska. Our AD just needs to hire anyone ... anyone not on the current staff.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

First of all, it may have taken TO 23 years to get his first national championship, but nearly every season TO coached his team's final ranking was better than Bo's best team's final ranking. By back, I said 9 wins, which was where we were before MR. And those 9 wins include a couple of embarrassing beat downs every year. Now lets compare Bo, MR, Solich and Frost.

• Bo - Coached 7 P5 seasons, and never lost more than 4 games. Three division championships. This is my standard for back even though many were not happy with this performance. I set the standard here because MR has taken us to an unimaginable level of bad.
  • MR (prior to Nebraska) - career 500 coach who never won anything in college football,  below 500 in 2 of his 3 last seasons. Coached at San Diego, went 14-34, no winning seasons, coached the worst season in Chargers history (1-15). It is easy to see MR was not at Bo's level resume wise. See the many threads on this board that predicted MR's record at Nebraska when he was hired.
  • Solich - 58-19, played for a MNC, best final ranking of #2, no losing seasons, but did have a 7-7 season. IMO, better than Bo, but more variability. One season that was worse than any of Bo's, but more than half of Solich's teams finished with less than 4 losses, something that has not been accomplished since Solich was fired.
  • Frost - learned from some of the best coaches of all time, OC for one of the best offenses in CFB, took over a no win team, and won six games in his first year, is 9-0 and ranked this year. IMO, much better than MR.

The odds are for 9 wins if we do not hire a buffoon. While we have not won a MNC since TO, we have finished #2 in 1999, and played for a MNC in 2001. We had two unfathomable hires (Billy C, and MR), and this board predicted doom in both cases. This board has also listed at least 10 coaches that can quickly get us back to 9 wins. It was just 3 years ago that many said anyone can win 9 games at Nebraska. Our AD just needs to hire anyone ... anyone not on the current staff.

Good points MD

I hate to say it, but we are reaping what we sowed back in 2003.  I was 100% against that firing...  If we do get Frost, there could be immediate improvement.  What I fear for him though is unrealistic expectations and or non acceptance of a below average season.  No matter how good a coach is, there are just going to be some off years due to key injuries, bad luck, recruiting busts , poor player leadership and chemistry.  

• Plus1 1
On 11/11/2017 at 5:48 PM, QMany said:

2 years. 

We have talent. 

Next years schedule is tough, but our record has to improve. 

2019 sets up really well for a run.

This was my thought as well.  Next year could be rough. However a competent coach who motivates & develops could see us get to 7-5.

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This was my thought as well.  Next year could be rough. However a competent coach who motivates & develops could see us get to 7-5.

See, I think I'd be plenty happy with 7-5, provided there was fire and improvement throughout the year.  I'm wondering how many would be wanting change if Coach Frost went 7-5.  Pretty hard spot we're in between reality and expectations.

• Plus1 1
Just now, grandpasknee said:

See, I think I'd be plenty happy with 7-5, provided there was fire and improvement throughout the year.  I'm wondering how many would be wanting change if Coach Frost went 7-5.  Pretty hard spot we're in between reality and expectations.

SF going 7-5 or even 6-6 would be an upgrade to this year.   I think fans will be patient wt SF.  Next year is pretty tough on paper. However, a good motivator will not allow the players to see that as an excuse but as a reason to getting fired up and rising to the occasion. 

I could just be a bit pessimistic right now, but I see this as a 5 year fix at minimum.  EVERYTHING is broken at NU.  The leadership from the athletic department (hopefully Moos is up to the task), the weight training/conditioning, the fractured fan base, and recruiting all need correcting.  This is before you even get to things like schematic changes, team culture, and mental toughness. 

I am not pulling for Frost because I firmly believe he the savior people make him out to be. I am pulling for him because I think he will get the time to fix the litany of problems this program faces. This program did not fade over night; it has been a 15 year decline.  It is going to take a while to get back to where we want to be. We Nebraskan like to call ourselves the "greatest fans in college football," and I think we are going to have a rough next couple of years where we will have an opportunity to prove it.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Husker NoNo said:

I could just be a bit pessimistic right now, but I see this as a 5 year fix at minimum.  EVERYTHING is broken at NU.  The leadership from the athletic department (hopefully Moos is up to the task), the weight training/conditioning, the fractured fan base, and recruiting all need correcting.  This is before you even get to things like schematic changes, team culture, and mental toughness. 

I am not pulling for Frost because I firmly believe he the savior people make him out to be. I am pulling for him because I think he will get the time to fix the litany of problems this program faces. This program did not fade over night; it has been a 15 year decline.  It is going to take a while to get back to where we want to be. We Nebraskan like to call ourselves the "greatest fans in college football," and I think we are going to have a rough next couple of years where we will have an opportunity to prove it.

I am leaning towards your point of view right now.  The football program and much of the athletic department seems to be a complete mess.  Eichorst and Devaney were/have been meddling Admins, and the football coach let them reign over him.  The football team saw this, and they realized that Riley didn't have the power and the leadership abilities necessary to build a champion football team.  It's great to have Eichorst out, and we're probably less than 2 weeks away from having Riley and Devaney shown the door, as well.

Going forward, Moos needs to be on the same page as the new coach (hopefully Frost) on what they expect from the football program.  When the new coach comes in, his first task is to get the team to be competitive/dominating the Big Ten West.  That's the first step, and NU has been very average in the Big Ten West, since joining the conference.  Everything else will build from there, but we can't start talking and thinking about competing for National Championships, until NU is taking care of business in the Big Ten West first.  The good news is that the Big Ten West is very average, and while Wisconsin is dominating it right now, I don't think their dominance is insurmountable.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Joe_5700 said:

I hate to say it, but we are reaping what we sowed back in 2003.  I was 100% against that firing...  If we do get Frost, there could be immediate improvement.  What I fear for him though is unrealistic expectations and or non acceptance of a below average season.  No matter how good a coach is, there are just going to be some off years due to key injuries, bad luck, recruiting busts , poor player leadership and chemistry.  

IMO, this is the best thing about MR. Expectations are so low now that Frost will be given plenty of time, and the benefit of the doubt in most cases. We have been beaten into a patient fan base.

4 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

IMO, this is the best thing about MR. Expectations are so low now that Frost will be given plenty of time, and the benefit of the doubt in most cases. We have been beaten into a patient fan base.

Exactly.  Was thinking earlier....it might be easier for Frost, after the disgraceful beat downs this year, to come in and say

"Look, we don't need to even think about those 90s teams.  That isn't the Huskers anymore.  We are at ground zero.  We are not going to compete against ghosts of 20 - 40 years ago.  We are going to compete against each other and ourselves.  We aren't going to be the "old" Huskers.  We are going to be the new Huskers, with our own legacy.  And it starts in the weight room and on the practice field.  Every day."

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Exactly.  Was thinking earlier....it might be easier for Frost, after the disgraceful beat downs this year, to come in and say

"Look, we don't need to even think about those 90s teams.  That isn't the Huskers anymore.  We are at ground zero.  We are not going to compete against ghosts of 20 - 40 years ago.  We are going to compete against each other and ourselves.  We aren't going to be the "old" Huskers.  We are going to be the new Huskers, with our own legacy.  And it starts in the weight room and on the practice field.  Every day."

Plus, while I think Riley's "oh well" mentality may take some work to overcome hitting rock-bottom like we are should help with player buy-in. These kids will be ready for a change. 

3 hours ago, Joe_5700 said:

I guess there may be some that will still have expectations. I'm not among them anymore. I have only one remaining expectation for this program...play like you know what you're doing and give a sh#t. That's it. At this point I don't really care if we ever win another game as long as there is a modicum of effort involved. Effort from the coaches and effort from the players, that is all I want to see. I'm sure that will change and I'll raise my bar once we actually achieve that but that's where I'm at today and probably for the next couple of years. Frost can have all the time a coach could ever desire as far as I'm concerned. I'm worn out and tired of expecting anything. If it gets too painful to watch, I'll just turn it off and find something else to do. I guess that's what 20 years of sucking with this big ole Riley cherry on top does to a guy.

17 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

FIFY.

The funniest part of that? I live in Colorado and forgot, haha. It was my wife's idea to move here in my defense.

Just now, Husker_Bohunk said:

The fans didn't want to give Osborne plenty of time simply because he couldn't beat Oklahoma. I don't hold out any hope for the fans or this board being any more patient with The Prodigal Son than they have been with Riley if Frost isn't winning right out of the gate.

I am not sure fans will more patient but they sure ought to be if they ever want to see Nebraska get back to relevance.