The Democrat Utopia

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I disagree with you.  This is similar to when Republicans would attack Chelsea Clinton for various reasons.

These kids are going to love their parents and they aren't part of the administration.  They should not be attacked because of who their parents are.

This isn't the same thing. The sales of a book praising the VP are what's getting attacked not the author.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I disagree with you.  This is similar to when Republicans would attack Chelsea Clinton for various reasons.

These kids are going to love their parents and they aren't part of the administration.  They should not be attacked because of who their parents are.

I didn't read every word of your links but I saw nothing written about their daughter. And she is writing about the administration.

Edited by Moiraine

4 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Maybe I am being naive here, but is it really appropriate to compare the two situations?  Aren't we in a drastically different situation with Russian now than in 2012?

The revelations about their meddling in our elections are just now coming out.  However, Putin as been a major problem world wide for a very long time when you look at what he has done in the Baltic States and Ukraine...etc.

He is not someone who I would say....Hey...congrats on your election.  Which, the election is a total farce too.  We know he's meddling in the US elections, do you think he might have major influence behind the scenes in his own elections?

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The revelations about their meddling in our elections are just now coming out.  However, Putin as been a major problem world wide for a very long time when you look at what he has done in the Baltic States and Ukraine...etc.

He is not someone who I would say....Hey...congrats on your election.  Which, the election is a total farce too.  We know he's meddling in the US elections, do you think he might have major influence behind the scenes in his own elections?

True, but there needs to be diplomacy between nations as well. Obama or Trump making nice in person to another world leader isn't the worst idea, even if the exact comment carries strong irony.

^^ I commented wt an Axios article on the Russia investigation thread.  My big concern is that he overrode the advise of his advisors - which is his right as POTUS but I think in light of the current undercurrents, it was not wise.  We also know that Putin has been meddling for some time - in other countries- evading, supporting rebellions, etc that are contrary to our interests.  Yes, the USA does the same in support of our interests but sending congrats to the leader isn't appropriate IMHO.  Do we congratulate NK Kim on his next 'fake election?

1 hour ago, FrankWheeler said:

Maybe I am being naive here, but is it really appropriate to compare the two situations?  Aren't we in a drastically different situation with Russian now than in 2012?

Yes

Annexation of Crimea - 2014

Russia's large increase in troops and air strikes in Syria to fight ISIL & Syria Civil War - 2015

Russia's Meddling in the US elections - 2016

Russia's Meddling in the French elections -2017

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, deedsker said:

Yes

Annexation of Crimea - 2014

Russia's large increase in troops and air strikes in Syria to fight ISIL & Syria Civil War - 2015

Russia's Meddling in the US elections - 2016

Russia's Meddling in the French elections -2017

Putin didn't all of a sudden change the way he rules or gets elected in 2014.

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

True, but there needs to be diplomacy between nations as well. Obama or Trump making nice in person to another world leader isn't the worst idea, even if the exact comment carries strong irony.

I personally would not have congratulated him on his election.  I think the way he rules is totally against what the US has traditionally stood for.  So....I wouldn't have done it.

My biggest problem is how parties in this country change their view of an action by a politician based on if they have an R or a D beside their names.  And...the plantation dwellers just follow right along with all of it.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Putin didn't all of a sudden change the way he rules or gets elected in 2014. 2012 is the election and 2014 was a major break from generally contentious to outright invasion of foreign territory.

Chechnya was a problem he inherited that was already under conflict for 10 years when he took power. Otherwise, he mostly was an economic president that nefariously tried to link eastern European countries, especially energy related, to Russia versus the EU.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Chechnya was a problem he inherited that was already under conflict for 10 years when he took power. Otherwise, he mostly was an economic president that nefariously tried to link eastern European countries, especially energy related, to Russia versus the EU.

You're greatly discounting his work in the KGB before he ever became President and assuming those actions weren't in play before he was elected.

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're greatly discounting his work in the KGB before he ever became President and assuming those actions weren't in play before he was elected.

I am not saying that Russia was great from 1989 to 2012. Just saying that the level of Russia as an international power greatly changed in 2014. There was a lot of building to it, through Putin, but 2014 was an major boiling over of things that were largely veiled until then. Russia had a lot to put back together even as Putin first came to power/how he came to power. 2014 demonstrated how he had successfully made Russia a entity resembling the former Soviet Power it was before.

• Plus1 2

For those of you who may know about this guy - is he a good candidate in 2020 for the Dems?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/21/mitch-landrieu-2020-democrats-473648

Mitch Landrieu isn’t, for the moment, getting ready to run for president. But that’s not stopping the Democrat who led the rebuilding of New Orleans from speaking out against institutional racism and what he calls the “nightmare loop” that links Donald Trump to David Duke.

With a media tour for his new book, “In the Shadow of Statues” (out Tuesday), and after headlining this month’s media-fest Gridiron Dinner in Washington, Landrieu knows he’s kept people talking. Monday night on “The Daily Show,” he smiled through a long burst of applause when Trevor Noah pitched him on 2020. Ridiculous as he and everyone around him knows it is to think about a New Orleans mayor making a serious bid for the White House, they also see the unique profile he’d have in a huge Democratic field concentrated on the coasts — the white Southern liberal who loves wrestling and musical theater, and looks like he could blend right in at a Trump rally.