The Democrat Utopia

This is probably as good of a thread for this as any.  This guy... is a  piece of work!

A politician’s novel approach to personal scandal: tell all before opponents do

The history of American politics abounds with examples of leaders sunk by scandal, the dark details excavated by their enemies.

Lee J. Carter, a Virginia state lawmaker with enough proverbial skeletons to crowd a graveyard, has taken it upon himself to beat any potential rival to the punch.

In a whiplash-inducing confessional on Twitter, Carter, a Democratic delegate from Prince William County, recently told his 18,000 followers he needed to share details of his past before unidentified foes “try personal smears.”

Once, a few years back, he was fired from a job, he tweeted. At 18, while in the Marines, he was arrested for suspicion of assault, a charge he said was dismissed. A “terrible student” in high school, he said “horrible things” on the Internet — things that were “homophobic, trans-phobic, sometimes sexist or racially insensitive.”

The delegate’s compendium of lowlights included layoffs, a foreclosure and a car repossession and a time when the Confederate flag made him feel something more positive than the revulsion he currently experiences.

“I’m on divorce #3,” Carter, 31, continued, before describing himself as the victim of “abuse, including rape.”

“And just like everyone else under 35,”he tweeted, “I’m sure explicit images or video of me exists out there somewhere.”

He then took pains to reassure his audience he is no Anthony Weiner, the former congressman whose in flagrante selfies caused a national furor. “I never sent them unsolicited,” Carter wrote. “And never while I was in a relationship.”

So. On the one hand, kudos to him for not hiding from his past, and in fact being the one who disclosed it all to a public who has a right to know some (maybe most, but maybe not all) of this stuff about a person seeking their vote.

BUT.

Why does this guy need to be in politics?  Surely there has to be a better candidate out there, right? 

I'm sure there are better candidates than him out there, but conversely none of that seems like any kind of big deal to me really. Seems like a normal person's kind of baggage. I think this is awesome and something I do similarly - I live my life willingly failing in public and refuse to ever delete or try to hide anything that's out there from the past. I've grown. I've changed. I've fallen and made mistakes. People can and should be able to see all of that. 

• Plus1 1
  • 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is a lot of typical party politics going on.  Which, is easy when you have such an idiot in the whitehouse.

Maybe I don't actually qualify as a Democrat.  But I'm in the camp that I'd like troops out of warzones.  But I also realize if you just pull them out without a real plan, chaos can and most likely will fill the void.

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Maybe I don't actually qualify as a Democrat.  But I'm in the camp that I'd like troops out of warzones.  But I also realize if you just pull them out without a real plan, chaos can and most likely will fill the void.

That is what most reasonable people believe and why I think there is some of the back lash against him on this move.  He has no friggen clue what he is doing.  Asking Turkey to be nice to the Kurds is a prime example of his ineptitude. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

in this case it's putin is the 1 with the plan and it will be russia, turkey, and iran that benefit from the chaos.   donnie is just being a good dog and following his masters orders.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I want us out of Syria.  I didn't want Trump to be the one to make the call because I knew he would muck it up.

This is my feeling on it. I also don’t like the opportunities it gives Putin and ISIS. Nor do I like that Trump is disregarding the advice of military people who know wtf they’re doing. That leads me to believe he’s doing it wrong. He’s either doing the wrong thing or he’s doing the right thing the wrong way.

Overall though, not sure what we can gain there. Staying there forever isn’t the answer, and that might be what we’d need to do because I don’t see a way to “win.”

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is a lot of typical party politics going on.  Which, is easy when you have such an idiot in the whitehouse.

Obviously a big chunk of it will be because it’s Trump. But let’s provide some context:

We (that includes Obama) were stupid and ignorant when it came to Russia. We know a lot more who they are now. So if they oppose us in Syria that means something different to people than it did previously.

On Afghanistan, Putin made up a bunch of BS on what the war was about, and Trump took his word for it. He’s so incredibly stupid it’s hard to believe any decision he makes isn’t the wrong decision.

But most importantly, as I said in the above post, we have top military people saying this is a bad idea and even resigning. I trust those people a lot more than I trust Trump.

It honestly does matter whether it’s Obama or Trump making the decision because I think Obama actually took advice from his advisers.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It honestly does matter whether it’s Obama or Trump making the decision because I think Obama actually took advice from his advisers.

Agree.  But, as you point out, he made some big mistakes too

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We (that includes Obama) were stupid and ignorant when it came to Russia.