The Democrat Utopia

52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not so utopian after all. 

Maybe this is all the beginning of the common sense awakening. 

NEW YORK -- New York City Mayor Eric Adams is slamming the city's sanctuary laws, saying he supports working with federal immigration officials.

It comes after recent high-profile crimes allegedly committed by migrants, including an assault on two NYPD officers in Times Square last month and a tourist shot earlier this month during a robbery inside a Times Square clothing store.

Didn't some judge let these guys go, and when the outrage happened they caught them and one was let go with a 1 dollar bond? They need to clean out the DAs and judges too.

"The mere fact that we cannot share with ICE that this person has committed three robberies and this person is part of an organized gang crew ... The mere fact we can't say that and communicate that is a problem for me," Adams said.

It's a problem period...

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/5-suspects-in-times-square-assault-on-nypd-officers-due-in-court-friday/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab4i&_amp=1*7cjs2g*s_vid*MVVXRElQdHpINUdpRHdCRU90bmRENnVyVkh6NlVpRjBYZHRzVy14LW1EVGNNRUw2NElSZVZINVpyUzEzdnFMbQ..

• Fire 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is an amazing documentary (That I show to students) and while it is in Canada it is also shows some ideas that have/are being used in the US.  I am never totally sure where I fall on the ideas but that is not really important.  If you go to the end, the last guy, in his Golden State Warrior jersey and just listen to him, it is heartbreaking.  

• Plus1 2

Austin used to be a nice place. I remember being able to stay downtown, walk around, enjoy good food and music. Always felt safe...except maybe at Halloween. :)

I am not sure why people don't just vote in better leadership.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/austin-brink-disaster-police-shortages-hit-crisis-level-god-help

"Previous councils and leadership have actively worked against our officers and department, which has now put us in a free-falling staffing crisis," Bullock warned. "Twice now we’ve had our contract voted down or it has been allowed to expire. Each year since 2017, we’ve lost more officers than we’ve hired. We had to gut our specialized units and force detectives to work backfill on patrol just to try and respond to 911 calls."

Last year, the department was on the verge of a staffing collapse after 40 officers filed retirement papers following a 9-2 city council vote to scrap a four-year contract that the city had previously agreed to in principle and instead pursue a one-year contract that the police union’s board had rejected.

"As a result," Bullock continued, "our staffing has been set back at least 15 years and at the same time we’ve dealt with a population growth of over 250,000 new residents. Combine that with a district attorney who has made it very clear that targeting officers and releasing criminals is his priority – not public safety."

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

48 minutes ago, nic said:

Austin used to be a nice place. I remember being able to stay downtown, walk around, enjoy good food and music. Always felt safe...except maybe at Halloween. :)

https://www.foxnews.com/media/austin-brink-disaster-police-shortages-hit-crisis-level-god-help

"Previous councils and leadership have actively worked against our officers and department, which has now put us in a free-falling staffing crisis," Bullock warned. "Twice now we’ve had our contract voted down or it has been allowed to expire. Each year since 2017, we’ve lost more officers than we’ve hired. We had to gut our specialized units and force detectives to work backfill on patrol just to try and respond to 911 calls."

Last year, the department was on the verge of a staffing collapse after 40 officers filed retirement papers following a 9-2 city council vote to scrap a four-year contract that the city had previously agreed to in principle and instead pursue a one-year contract that the police union’s board had rejected.

"As a result," Bullock continued, "our staffing has been set back at least 15 years and at the same time we’ve dealt with a population growth of over 250,000 new residents. Combine that with a district attorney who has made it very clear that targeting officers and releasing criminals is his priority – not public safety."

It’s so crazy to me that people on the Left leave a state or locality with policies they helped vote in which made said State/Locality unattractive to live in, only to vote in/try to vote in those insane policies for their new State or locality.  It’s like they need to get thumped in the head multiple times before they figure out it hurts.   

• TBH 3
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s so crazy to me that people on the Left leave a state or locality with policies they helped vote in which made said State/Locality unattractive to live in, only to vote in/try to vote in those insane policies for their new State or locality.  It’s like they need to get thumped in the head multiple times before they figure out it hurts.   

I mean personally I think they should bring back the guillotine for this wanton criminals and gang bangers. I'm tired of half measures.

And use it at the border too.

Politicians today need to get tough and stop fooling around.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I mean personally I think they should bring back the guillotine for this wanton criminals and gang bangers. I'm tired of half measures.

And use it at the border too.

Politicians today need to get tough and stop fooling around.

You certainly are welcome to that opinion.   

Makes more sense to reply to a different post with it though:thumbs

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You certainly are welcome to that opinion.   

Makes more sense to reply to a different post with it though:thumbs

I mean if the discussion is crazy leftist policies, I think moving to embrace more draconian measures would be beneficial.

Let's get some tougher deterrents to start cleaning up these hellholes. Or we could just continue with 24/7 crime and chaos.

12 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I mean if the discussion is crazy leftist policies, I think moving to embrace more draconian measures would be beneficial.

Let's get some tougher deterrents to start cleaning up these hellholes. Or we could just continue with 24/7 crime and chaos.

We’re talking Austin TEXAS here. Obviously the solution is tougher abortion laws, further arming citizens with more and better automatic weapons and for godsakes, let’s pick up the pace on book burnings.

• Oh Yeah! 1

14 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Draconian is obviously the incorrect word to use.  Tougher deterrents make sense 

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Draconian is obviously the incorrect word to use.  Tougher deterrents make sense 

Why?

I’m not about to run around worrying about people’s feelings. That kind of thinking is soft.

If the goal is deterrence I want people TERRIFIED.

In fact maybe draconian isn’t tough enough…

• Oh Yeah! 1
43 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Why?

I’m not about to run around worrying about people’s feelings. That kind of thinking is soft.

If the goal is deterrence I want people TERRIFIED.

In fact maybe draconian isn’t tough enough…

Well, we all have our different views of what is appropriate and realistic.    You have certainly explained yours :rolleyes: (if we are easily duped into believing this is actually what you want or if you are going with more snark)

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, nic said:

I'm shocked that the police union would be against being held accountable. Shocked! Also, they are still getting full pay and benefits despite the contract not being approved. But that information doesn't make for good rage bate

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/south-texas-el-paso/news/2024/02/02/austin-city-council-extends-police-benefits-and-pay-while-long-term-contract-negotiations-continue#:~:text=since last spring.-,The original contract%2C known as a meet and confer agreement,Proposition A or Proposition B.

In February 2023, the City of Austin and the APA reached a four-year labor agreement, but council members wanted to wait until the May election to see whether voters would approve Proposition A or Proposition B. Proposition A, which was the one that Austin voters passed, strengthened civilian oversight of the Austin Police Department, while Proposition B, which was backed by the APA and was rejected, would’ve maintained the status quo. Proposition A has yet to be implemented. 

The election complicated matters between the city and the union, and the two parties have yet to come to a long-term agreement. 

However, the City Council did adopt a resolution ahead of the election that guaranteed police pay and benefits for a year. It expires in March, but the vote Thursday allowed for the extension of that resolution for another year or until a long-term contract is negotiated. 

The resolution includes the standard base pay of APD officers as well as an incentive program for police cadets and pay increases for field training officers. Other programs included in the resolution are additional Mental Health Certification Pay, Bilingual Pay and other holiday and certificate bonuses. The updated resolution also includes incentives for the APA to re-enter negotiations with the city for a long-term contract. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Well, we all have our different views of what is appropriate and realistic.    You have certainly explained yours :rolleyes: (if we are easily duped into believing this is actually what you want or if you are going with more snark)

Why limit yourself to what is realistic if we're just discussing hypotheticals? Good policy is good policy. Don't constrain your mind for the sake of appeasing the woke mob.

These areas are clearly out of control, lawless crime beds. The only solution is to make people afraid of the legal system again. More force, not less. Make America scared again!

Turning a blind eye to these scumbags isn't going to make the problem better. W e need to deal with them, harshly.

• Fire 1