The Democrat Utopia

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

He's not wrong. Democrats are fortunate that their Republican opposition is corrupt, rudderless, and devoid of principle. 

If Democrats want to be successful after Republicans emerge from being ravaged by Trump and the MAGA movement, they need to figure out a brand or politics that appeals to more than just white coastal college graduates. Toxic elements of the Democratic Party - including elements of toxic feminism, LGTBQ+, and whatever performative activism they're doing on the coasts - are being glossed over because the Republican Party has been overrun by crazies.

The broader country should probably also admit they just flat out hold the Democrats to a much, much higher standard, akin to what we should expect from intelligent, reasonable, functioning adults. Meanwhile Republicans get a pat on the back and a participation ribbon every time they get through a day managing to dress themselves and make coherent thoughts without crapping their pants or tripping on their own dicks.

Allegedly serious people will strain themselves to admit this isn’t true. We should consider why that is.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

The broader country should probably also admit they just flat out hold the Democrats to a much, much higher standard, akin to what we should expect from intelligent, reasonable, functioning adults. Meanwhile Republicans get a pat on the back and a participation ribbon every time they get through a day managing to dress themselves and make coherent thoughts without crapping their pants or tripping on their own dicks.

Allegedly serious people will strain themselves to admit this isn’t true. We should consider why that is.

You are absolutely correct, but at the same time I want Democrats to win elections which means appealing to stupid people. 

Currently, Democrats are hurdling towards a future where they dominate politics in coastal areas and are not competitive elsewhere. States like Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan are going to become what Iowa and Ohio are now once the MAGA era is over. If Democrats ever want to sniff a Senate majority post MAGA, they need to evaluate the types of politics they champion and realize that appealing to college educated elites is not a path to electoral majorities. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

You are absolutely correct, but at the same time I want Democrats to win elections which means appealing to stupid people. 

Currently, Democrats are hurdling towards a future where they dominate politics in coastal areas and are not competitive elsewhere. States like Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan are going to become what Iowa and Ohio are now once the MAGA era is over. If Democrats ever want to sniff a Senate majority post MAGA, they need to evaluate the types of politics they champion and realize that appealing to college educated elites is not a path to electoral majorities. 

If you have any sage advice for them to do so, I’d buy you your ticket to wherever you need to go to explain it to them.

From where I sit they’re on the geographically worse end of an archaic, broken system and both sides are pretty dug in where they’ve got power now and don’t want to give it up.

I do see calls for them to shift priorities. Give up on guns, punt on abortion, etc. Basically capitulate on GOP positions to make gains in red areas.

The problem is voters too are dug in. We’re hyper polarized. Red America is pretty content to watch Fox News to confirm their priors. That isn’t gonna change regardless of what the Dems do. They’ll just invent some new reason Dems are Satan incarnate and conservative voters will agree.

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

If you have any sage advice for them to do so, I’d buy you your ticket to wherever you need to go to explain it to them.

From where I sit they’re on the geographically worse end of an archaic, broken system and both sides are pretty dug in where they’ve got power now and don’t want to give it up.

I do see calls for them to shift priorities. Give up on guns, punt on abortion, etc. Basically capitulate on GOP positions to make gains in red areas.

The problem is voters too are dug in. We’re hyper polarized. Red America is pretty content to watch Fox News to confirm their priors. That isn’t gonna change regardless of what the Dems do. They’ll just invent some new reason Dems are Satan incarnate and conservative voters will agree.

You make a lot of good points, in a lot of ways Democrats are doomed because of the stupidity running rampant across rural America. 

My advice to them would be to continue to push for and campaign on what has made them successful: labor movements, taxing the wealthy to support welfare programs, and to push for popular job creating economy policies. Joe Biden has done most of this but instead of taking credit for the largest manufacturing investment boom in decades, they have to put out a press release saying they're going to fight a pride flag ban at embassies. Republicans are dragging them down into the mud needlessly. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

"He is a coward!"

Wears mask to hide face

I say do not suspend them.  That is what they want so they can b!^@h more.

In about 6 months they are going to be soooooo embarrassed.

And I agree with strangelove, these people should NOT be voting but I appreciate that they still do vote since it is their right.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Eh, I think most of the stuff being accused of racism has a legitimate amount of racism.

100% of folks who want to avoid the discussion entirely pretend this is a loony left thing.

I would say the majority of things that are labeled racist…probably have some form tied to it. And, we all should be cognizant of the fact that racism exists in many places we wouldn’t expect. There are also levels of racism. All the way from..ok, that guy is just being an a$$….to life threading things for minorities. 

But, there are areas where “crying wolf” is appropriate to point out. And, doing so is not racist in and of itself. 

Again, I tend to try to understand the situation from others view points. But, not everything that’s called racist is racist. 

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would say the majority of things that are labeled racist…probably have some form tied to it. And, we all should be cognizant of the fact that racism exists in many places we wouldn’t expect. There are also levels of racism. All the way from..ok, that guy is just being an a$$….to life threading things for minorities. 

But, there are areas where “crying wolf” is appropriate to point out. And, doing so is not racist in and of itself. 

Again, I tend to try to understand the situation from others view points. But, not everything that’s called racist is racist. 

Well in the example provided, the people who monitor right wing and extremist messaging are alerting us that the racist community is using 100% as one of its codes for white supremacism. It shouldn't mean that everyone using the 100% symbol is racist, but it's a fact that it's been co-opted by organized racists and prison gangs. They also alerted us that the "okay" finger symbol had been co-opted by white supremacists -- as was Pepe the Frog -- which didn't mean that Damian Lillard was a racist for celebrating a three pointer, but some police officers on a social media post most definitely were. 

I mean, I never knew that 6MWE was code for "6 Million (Jews) Weren't Enough" until insurrectionists put it on t-shirts, just one reason why January 6 was such a teachable moment. 

If you take a gander at the rest of Not The Bee's content, he loves context-free over-reactions. He seems almost giddy that the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed in crime-ravaged Baltimore due to a boat from an immigrant country and that the ramifications will hurt the economy under Joe Biden's watch. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Ehhhhh, the ADL is way out on its skis with this one.   50 plus 50 is 100 and that’s not racist.  Using, I’m committed 100% is not racist.  Answering a question about liking something with 100% is not racist.  

Just because some nitwits are using 100% and combining it with racist terminology, then that is racist and it’s hard not to see that for what it is.   The ADL is acting like we shouldn’t use 100% because racists are using it now and it gives them credence.   That’s just plain silly.  Just like the ok symbol.   People claim every white person who does the okay symbol is flashing a racist sign.   Gimme a break.  

• Fire 2
19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Ehhhhh, the ADL is way out on its skis with this one.   50 plus 50 is 100 and that’s not racist.  Using, I’m committed 100% is not racist.  Answering a question about liking something with 100% is not racist.

The ADL hasn't made any claims even remotely like this. They have a database of things used as hate symbols, and they explain what the thing is and why/how it's being used and that's it. You and notthebee both agree with the only assertion being made by the ADL which is that racists are using 100% in a racist way.

You're arguing against ghosts.

19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The ADL is acting like we shouldn’t use 100% because racists are using it now and it gives them credence.

No they aren't..? What in the world are you talking about? (that's rhetorical no need to answer)

• TBH 2