Can we get JUCOs to beef up the defense?

Hayseed

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

I don't think it's that much a matter of talent on defense. It's about having a DC who doesn't melt down under the strain (do you see it, though?)

I've said often that Nebraska's biggest woes have nothing to do with the talent level.  Nebraska's biggest problems are, as I see them:

1) the space between the players ears,

2) ridiculous schemes from previous coaching staffs (all previous three*, not singling out any one in particular) that set them up for failure, and

3) lack of "want", "passion", "fire", "emotion",--call it whatever you wish.

College football, even at the major P5 level is all about effort.  Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, all have great talent...but without the intense effort they put forth every game, they'd be no better, record wise, than Nebraska right now.

I think with Coach Frost, the numbered points I listed above will not only be addressed, but remedied.  That's my hope anyway.

* Purposefully omitting Frank Solich

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I know that completely confusing everyone by switching to the 3-4 and playing soft didn't help, but don't you feel like we're light on defense and getting pushed around too much?

If you don't then nevermind.......if you do, are there gettable guys who Frost can bring in right away to play? I feel like Frost has the charisma thing going where recruits will hear him out and want to come on board. Now is the time to bring in an impact LB from the JUCO's.

Next years schedule is a killer, .........are there any JUCO DL's and LB's we can get right away?

I said something similar in another thread. Not specifically for defense, but because of class size. MR undersigned last year, so we should be able to land a big class this year. Being heavy with Jucos would help even out class sizes later on.

56 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I've said often that Nebraska's biggest woes have nothing to do with the talent level.  Nebraska's biggest problems are, as I see them:

1) the space between the players ears,

2) ridiculous schemes from previous coaching staffs (all previous three*, not singling out any one in particular) that set them up for failure, and

3) lack of "want", "passion", "fire", "emotion",--call it whatever you wish.

College football, even at the major P5 level is all about effort.  Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, all have great talent...but without the intense effort they put forth every game, they'd be no better, record wise, than Nebraska right now.

I think with Coach Frost, the numbered points I listed above will not only be addressed, but remedied.  That's my hope anyway.

* Purposefully omitting Frank Solich

Don't forget idiot ADs meddling in the football program (energy vampire :facepalm:). 

• Plus1 1

We made 5 offers yesterday, two were Jucos. One was a DB and one was an OT. My wild speculation is the staff did some roster review and determined we have talent on the DL and LBs. Also, if you look at UCF the past two years, they took jucos and grad transfers quite a bit. So if there is a hole in the team, I'm sure the patches will be used. 

31 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I said something similar in another thread. Not specifically for defense, but because of class size. MR undersigned last year, so we should be able to land a big class this year. Being heavy with Jucos would help even out class sizes later on.

I remember you winning that argument about local players as well. 

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU should be using IWCC to get 1-2 of their top players every year to plug holes. Even great rosters will have holes, and using JUCO’s is a great way of bringing in talent that has a potential to contribute right away. 

I always felt like Pelini really squandered that opportunity. 

Having a pipeline to a CC in your backyard can be a major advantage. I don't see how it couldn't provide the same type of advantage as the walk-on program if utilized correctly. Lord knows the walk-on program isn't the same as it used to be under TO when they still allowed partial qualifiers. 

Remember how good Fort Scott CC was to us? It gave us Kinnie, Yoshi, SJB & of course David back in the Pelini era.

But I was hopeful for them to use IWCC this way when they first announced a program, and it never came to be. They've got a great program down there, or used to. Snyder's gotten some run out of them. We need to. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

I always felt like Pelini really squandered that opportunity. 

Having a pipeline to a CC in your backyard can be a major advantage. I don't see how it couldn't provide the same type of advantage as the walk-on program if utilized correctly. Lord knows the walk-on program isn't the same as it used to be under TO when they still allowed partial qualifiers. 

Remember how good Fort Scott CC was to us? It gave us Kinnie, Yoshi, SJB & of course David back in the Pelini era.

But I was hopeful for them to use IWCC this way when they first announced a program, and it never came to be. They've got a great program down there, or used to. Snyder's gotten some run out of them. We need to. 

IWCC still has a great program. They should have been in the JUCO National Championship game, but got screwed out of it. Bo and Riley wasted what has been built at IWCC, and Osborne helped start the IWCC program. I’m sure Osborne saw it as an avenue for recruits who didn’t qualify academically to spend a year or two, and stay close to NU coaches.  It’s definitely been a wasted opportunity for NU the past few years. 

There's several CCs in Kansas we could tap into. @dudeguyy mentioned the guys Pelini got from Fort Scott, Will Honas above plays for Butler CC (Zac Taylor came through there, too), and Garden City has some good ones, too.

1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Don't forget idiot ADs meddling in the football program (energy vampire :facepalm:). 

And chancellor.

• Plus1 1