Frost's Blueprint for success

lo country

6 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Well, technically Scott is coming off an unsuccessful coach that allowed a losing attitude. 

In year one I honestly just expect improvement in overall play and no losses to horrible teams. 

We will get blown out by at least one team in 2018, most likely OSU again. If you honestly expect anything more than 7 or 8 wins this year, you will be vastly disappointed. You did not say that, but I am just wondering what your definition of "football excellence" is? A number of wins or is it a play your heart out every game and let the rest take care of itself? 

I expect to be playing the final game of the season with a win taking us to the Big10 Championship.  Anything less will be a disappointment from me.  Now in this same thread we have gone to the "did you see the schedule?"  Yep I see the schedule and frankly I give two $@&$ about the schedule.  Go ahead and analyze every game before we get to it.  I saw last years schedule as well, and we won 4 games, you see how that holds nothing to me.  

• Plus1 2

I remember reading the  same type of stuff when we moved from the Big12 to the Big10.  We will dominate instantly, they have no idea of big 12 speed, Nebraska power on and on.  Well it hasn't been the joy ride some expected.  

This is not AAC, you play big bad big boys every week.  Injuries, talent, and numbers of Division 1 players make the difference.  

I expect to win the lottery every week.  But I invest into it, so I have something to say about it.

I don't invest time in coaching, recruiting nor set the standards for excellence.  I actually do very little for the team, so I don't demand or expect anything.

We were 4-8 last year, if we get to 500 ball I will be happy.  If we don't posters like some of the above will be screaming for the coaches head.  The Nebraska fan in full grandeur.

9 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Sometimes it DOES take time. Other times the turn around is immediate, or nearly so.

You mean like Bill Callahan's infamous "We are doing excellent in all areas?"  :D

A funny story about this, my mother knew I was so furious at this quote.  For Christmas that year she framed the newspaper with his face on it and that quote and gave it to me.  I still have it on the wall.  It was hilarious

Edited by KingBlank
  • Plus1 1

I understand next years schedule is a tough schedule. But any schedule in the big 10 or SEC or ACC is tough. I know its what we have heard on the TV about the daunted 2018 but I dont see the 18 schedule being that much different than the 17 schedule. If we had a "good" team last year ohio state and penn state were the only 2 teams out of our league which would have put us at 10 wins. In my opinion the only game i dont think we have a shot to win is ohio state. I think michigan is beatable. Not saying we will win- i am saying they looked very beatable this year and they will be breaking in a new QB. 

When I compare these 2 schedules I only give the nod in 1 game being tougher and thats Colorado and that is nothing to stay up late at night worrying about. Here is how i see it. The games I put on the same line seem comparible in toughness or hardness level. 

2017 vs 2018

Oregon- Michigan State

Ohio State- Ohio State

Penn State- Michigan

Wisconsin- Wisconsin

Iowa- Iowa

Illinois- Illinois

Minnesota- Minnesota

Northwestern-Nortwestern

Purdue-Purdue

Arkansas State- Troy

Northern Illinois- Akron

Rutgers- Colorado ****2018 wins this one

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I understand next years schedule is a tough schedule. But any schedule in the big 10 or SEC or ACC is tough. I know its what we have heard on the TV about the daunted 2018 but I dont see the 18 schedule being that much different than the 17 schedule. If we had a "good" team last year ohio state and penn state were the only 2 teams out of our league which would have put us at 10 wins. In my opinion the only game i dont think we have a shot to win is ohio state. I think michigan is beatable. Not saying we will win- i am saying they looked very beatable this year and they will be breaking in a new QB. 

When I compare these 2 schedules I only give the nod in 1 game being tougher and thats Colorado and that is nothing to stay up late at night worrying about. Here is how i see it. The games I put on the same line seem comparible in toughness or hardness level. 

2017 vs 2018

Oregon- Michigan State

Ohio State- Ohio State

Penn State- Michigan

Wisconsin- Wisconsin

Iowa- Iowa

Illinois- Illinois

Minnesota- Minnesota

Northwestern-Nortwestern

Purdue-Purdue

Arkansas State- Troy

Northern Illinois- Akron

Exactly, wow someone with some sense. 

Not the typical "omg next year schedule is so tough no one would ever want to play it, and ever win anything, make sure your expectations are 6-6.  Because if you don't you will be disappointed.  So if they lose its OK"  

Thank you, it is just another schedule in the Big 10.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Exactly, wow someone with some sense. 

Not the typical "omg next year schedule is so tough no one would ever want to play it, and ever win anything, make sure your expectations are 6-6.  Because if you don't you will be disappointed.  So if they lose its OK"  

Thank you, it is just another schedule in the Big 10.

Agree- thats how I see it. I see michigan state like wisconsin. They are going to be a tough game but they are not elite teams. Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State in 1 year would make me say man that sucks. But if we become the team I hope we do- the team we used to be in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Those 3 teams will not be our superior. Sure they may beat us- but they should not be our superior. We should be able to walk into those games and have a 50/50 shot to win. Thats what I think Frost will give us. A shot to win every game. It will take a special collection of talent and focus to win them all in 1 year- but as long as we compete every year I will be happy.

The team we have been the last 10 years is oh we cant beat ohio state. Thats part of the reason those staffs are no longer here.

Edited by Huskers93-97
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

2017 vs 2018

Oregon- Michigan State

Ohio State- Ohio State

Penn State- Michigan

Wisconsin- Wisconsin

Iowa- Iowa

Illinois- Illinois

Minnesota- Minnesota

Northwestern-Nortwestern

Purdue-Purdue

Arkansas State- Troy

Northern Illinois- Akron

@ Ohio State is tougher than them at home.

@ Wisconsin is tougher than them at home.

@ Northwestern is tougher than them at home.

@ Iowa is tougher than them at home.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Disagree that Northwestern is better at home. Nebraska is undefeated vs. them in Evanston. I think NU will be peaking at the end of the year next year and Iowa City isn’t a terribly tough place to play.  They get up for 1-2 games a season in Iowa City, and that’s about it. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Disagree that Northwestern is better at home. Nebraska is undefeated vs. them in Evanston. I think NU will be peaking at the end of the year next year and Iowa City isn’t a terribly tough place to play.  They get up for 1-2 games a season in Iowa City, and that’s about it. 

20 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Also Riley and the horrible coaching staff is gone. So inherently every game should be a little bit easier ;)

I know there is some advantage to home games, I think vegas pegs it at around 3 points. But in my opinion no matter where you play- the better team usually wins regardless. So if Frost can get a quick buy in, get the guys conditioned in the off-season and have a quick turnaround like he did at UCF. I dont care where we play IOWA if we are the better team we will win. But I think our defense cant do anything but be better this year- cant get worse and I would say our offense is going to score more points easily than this year. So I think that 3 points given for home field advantage is a mute point.

OHIO STATE- whether we play here or there we lose. 

MICHIGAN- I dont think it matters if we play them at home. Either we are better or not. I kind of like that Frost saw Michigan 2 years ago in his first year at UCF. He has already studied what Harbaugh likes to do.

Edited by Huskers93-97
12 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

i don't expect instant success, i want the same thing i have wanted for 3 years now......steady improvement!

show me the damn money!

I cant speak for everyone else. But that is what I want as well. Our debate is about the 2018 schedule and how some are hyping it up to be the hardest schedule of all time. But I dont see it any different than most schedules in a big boy conference. s#!t look at florida state this year. Clemson, Miami, Alabama, Florida. They played their ACC schedule plus 2 SEC teams. 

My only point is you will always have a tough schedule when you play in the ACC, SEC, Big 10. 

The "fear the 18 schedule" narrative was probably pushed by Riley to buy himself another year. Well just count 18 as a free year cause its so darn tough. But 19 we will give it a shot. 

Anyone ever stop to think the teams in the big ten east play this schedule every year plus penn state.

Edited by Huskers93-97
  • Plus1 1
On 12/26/2017 at 5:37 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Hopefully, the upcoming season will finally put to rest the never ending "talent' debate.   It seems fairly well accepted that Frost is an excellent coach and therefore, if the talent is really there, we will see immediatel improvement in the team (atleast 9 wins and competitive in the losses we do suffer) and if the wins don't come, we'll know the talent is NOT there.   

I don't agree with this at all.  For example, we lose to Ohio State in Columbus next season by a small margin (1-4 points and the game is close the whole way) I don't possibly see how that could be lack of talent.  Ditto for when we play Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.

If Nebraska's players play as hard as they can, give max effort for 4 quarters, and still lose to Ohio State by 35--THEN it is a talent issue.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I don't think we are anywhere close to Ohio St in talent.

That's 100% fine.  I think while Nebraska is not necessarily up to Ohio State's level, I also don't believe they're as far behind as some think.  Regardless, Nebraska ABSOLUTELY has enough talent to win the West Division of the Big 10.  There is no reason or excuse for the Huskers to get their arses handed to them by the likes of Minnesota, Iowa, and even Wisconsin every year.

• Plus1 2