National Championship Game

22 minutes ago, Gage County said:

It's interesting how many people refuse to call the best team in college football the national champion.

It still perplexes that a sport that is tied up with so much money has the most convoluted way of picking its champion.

So please, tell me who you think the best team is in college football.

41 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

There's not much to screw up if they go 5 P5 champions plus 3 at large, with the caveat that an unbeaten G5 team automatically gets the 8 seed (if they aren't ranked higher). 

Screw up was the wrong word.  I should have said, people still won't be happy.  8 team play-off is still just a way to get 2-3 SEC teams in.  We need to make strength of schedule.

Edited by Crusader Husker
1 minute ago, Crusader Husker said:

Screw up was the wrong word.  I should have said, people still won't be happy.  8 team play-off is still just a way to get 2-3 SEC teams in.  We need to make strength of schedule.

That would involve centralizing all scheduling with the NCAA and forcing conferences to play by the same rules in terms of number of conference games and scheduling of FCS teams. I'm all for it. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

That would involve centralizing all scheduling with the NCAA and forcing conferences to play by the same rules in terms of number of conference games and scheduling of FCS teams. I'm all for it. 

That is exactly right.  How about same academic standards too?  I think we should cut through all of the BS and just have the power 5 and let the other play for something different.  I think that is what the powers that be really want. Let's stop dancing around it.  I just get tired of the season and playoffs that seems to just be a commercial for the SEC.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

That is exactly right.  How about same academic standards too?  I think we should cut through all of the BS and just have the power 5 and let the other play for something different.  I think that is what the powers that be really want. Let's stop dancing around it.  I just get tired of the season and playoffs that seems to just be a commercial for the SEC.

I would be all for that as well. Schools should have to play by strict academic standards as well. 

I think all we need to do is decide on how to pay players, and we'll have fixed NCAA Division 1 football. 

Edited by Cdog923

21 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

That is exactly right.  How about same academic standards too? 

I'd be OK with this as long as the academic standards are not lowered to a ridiculous level just for athletes at all schools.  These kids are STUDENT athletes and they are attending schools of higher learning.  These schools also vary in academic standards from public state schools to pretty elite private schools.  A school like Notre Dame or Duke should not be forced to lower their standards for athletes if they don't want to.

(yes, I know it already happens at some schools.  But, it shouldn't be forced on them by the NCAA)

44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'd be OK with this as long as the academic standards are not lowered to a ridiculous level just for athletes at all schools.  These kids are STUDENT athletes and they are attending schools of higher learning.  These schools also vary in academic standards from public state schools to pretty elite private schools.  A school like Notre Dame or Duke should not be forced to lower their standards for athletes if they don't want to.

(yes, I know it already happens at some schools.  But, it shouldn't be forced on them by the NCAA)

I work at a High School, we had two kids recruited by Cornell a few years ago.  Coach said they only needed to get a 28 or a 29 on their ACT to get in.  I was like wow!  But to be honest at Ivy league schools, they wouldn't be able to have all sports if they didn't.

8 team playoff with a maximum of two teams from any given conference. The eyeball test assessment and Strength of schedule are way too subjective to carry as much weight as I think they do with the current playoff committee. Make it the power 5 champions, plus 3 at large. Winning any P5 conference is difficult no matter what your final record is and should be rewarded with a playoff spot. You’re fellow conference foes usually know you well and can beat you any given Saturday (e.g. Iowa pounding Ohio State).  18-22 year olds sometimes have off days and sometimes good coaches get out coached. When this happens it doesn’t mean you either are or aren’t playoff worthy.  Win the conference and you’re in. We can all argue about the final three teams then. My 2 cents. 

3 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I work at a High School, we had two kids recruited by Cornell a few years ago.  Coach said they only needed to get a 28 or a 29 on their ACT to get in.  I was like wow!  But to be honest at Ivy league schools, they wouldn't be able to have all sports if they didn't.

No playoffs for Ivy league schools either since they decline the auto bid. 

4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

And...that is the choice of Cornell as to who they want to allow in as far as academic standards.  A 28 or 29 is still pretty dang good compared to what it would take to get into UNL as an athlete.

This shouldn't be regulated by the NCAA to lower standards for athletes just to level the playing field in the sport.

Edited by BigRedBuster
45 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

That's not very surprising.  On the ACT a score of 28 is a 90th percentile for the USA, and a very good score IMO.  For Cornell, their middle 50% of scores for admitted students is from 30-34.  That means that a score of 30 would be the 25th percentile for Cornell, or a better score than 25% of admitted students.

28 or 29 probably is already about the lowest they would accept, and students with those scores would have to be exceptional in other aspects of the application.

https://magoosh.com/hs/act/about-the-act/2016/act-percentiles/

https://blog.prepscholar.com/whats-a-good-sat-act-score-for-the-ivy-league-whats-the-lowest-score-i-can-get-in-with

• Plus1 1

...and just for fun, here are the average scores of the B1G schools (25th-75th percentiles)

32-34 Northwestern

29-33 Michigan

29-33 Maryland

27-31 Ohio State

27-31 Wisconsin

26-32 Illinois

26-31 Minnesota

25-31 Purdue

25-29 Penn State

24-30 Indiana

24-29 Michigan State

23-28 Iowa

22-28 Nebraska

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

FCS has had a playoff for decades, and managed to get the two best teams in the title game this year. There's too much money wrapped up in bowl games and the CFB playoff to ever reset it to something that is both fair AND makes sense. 

I don't care if someone other than the top two seeded teams play for the title, so long as they got there legitimately. It happens all the time in basketball and no one complains. Why? Because the selection process and tournament are a hell of a lot more reasonable.

• Plus1 1