Paranormal and the afterlife

Paranormal/Afterlife   

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, Redux said:

I can answer both these questions with one response: It's because of the lore attached to the paranormal.  You're comfortable believing in an afterlife because religion is still pretty widely accepted as normal whereas "ghosts" are widely regarded as silly.  The evil stigma is due to shows like Paranormal Lockdown, Ghost Adventures, My Ghost Story, Paranormal State etc.  These shows did more harm than good.  They portray all hauntings as evil because TV expects drama.

True story, when we first started out investigating, My Ghost Story emailed us and asked if we had any footage to share in consideration to appear on the show.  The catch is this: No talking about the technical aspects of it like equipment, No talking about debunking claims, No offering logical explinations.  Only discuss how it made you feel and bonus points for being scared/traumatized.

Wait - what did I miss?  Were you on a show?  Have an experience?

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Wait - what did I miss?  Were you on a show?  Have an experience?

No, these shows just send out feelers trying to get people willing to come on their shows and overdramatize things for ratings.  My group politely declined.

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Personally I don't understand how some believe in ghosts, aliens, Bigfoot, but call it silly to believe in Heaven or some sort of afterlife. 

I find it strange to believe in one but not be open to the other as a possibility.  But there are many who feel that way.

I answered the poll as believe in afterlife but not paranormal....that may not be 100% accurate though. I guess it depends exactly what is meant by the paranormal.

I have had one experience where I am quite certain I saw my mother's soul leave her body when she died. I realize it may have simply been my brain tricking me at a time of extreme emotion/stress but I can't deny what I think my eyes witnessed. And I also believe people can be possessed by spirits as in exorcist type possessions. So if those are part of what is meant by paranormal then yeah I may believe in that too.

6 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I answered the poll as believe in afterlife but not paranormal....that may not be 100% accurate though. I guess it depends exactly what is meant by the paranormal.

I have had one experience where I am quite certain I saw my mother's soul leave her body when she died. I realize it may have simply been my brain tricking me at a time of extreme emotion/stress but I can't deny what I think my eyes witnessed. And I also believe people can be possessed by spirits as in exorcist type possessions. So if those are part of what is meant by paranormal then yeah I may believe in that too.

Was that in a hospital?  I have heard other people say that as well.  

28 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Was that in a hospital?  I have heard other people say that as well.  

Yes, it was in a hospital. It seemed very real but it could've also just been me seeing what I wanted to see even though that is nothing I anticipated or necessarily wanted to see. It was very strange for sure.

Raised fundamental Christian I believe in afterlife heaven /hell , and that we have a soul . Never believed in random spirits, ghosts , mediums etc  though  .

I recently dated a girl who claimed to be a medium and she “talked “ to my deceased mothers “spirit” for 10 minutes or so, relaying messages and telling me things there’s no possible way she could have known . That changed my mind some . 

Edited by Big Red 40
37 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Yes, it was in a hospital. It seemed very real but it could've also just been me seeing what I wanted to see even though that is nothing I anticipated or necessarily wanted to see. It was very strange for sure.

The mind does intense things when under severe stress.  That said, I was present when my wifes Uncle passed away.  There was a certain "vibe" if you will when he went.  I think there truly is something to the concept of conciousness leaving the body.  How long it lasts or where it goes from that point are quite debatable, but intelligent life seems to have a distinct aura.

35 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Raised fundamental Christian I believe in afterlife heaven /hell , and that we have a soul . Never believed in random spirits, ghosts , mediums etc  though  .

I recently dated a girl who claimed to be a medium and she “talked “ to my deceased mothers “spirit” for 10 minutes or so, relaying messages and telling me things there’s no possible way she could have known . That changed my mind some . 

*Allegedly* an ancestor of mine was supposed to be a very good medium.  Like my great-grandmother, or great-great-grandmother. 

• Plus1 1

Christian: yes.

Afterlife: yes.

paranormal: no.

I can see the hypocrisy in that set of beliefs, but that doesn't change my belief.  I also find it odd that we "mainline" protestants generally don't talk much about faith healing, raising the dead and exorcisms, even though the bible talks about the apostles performing such acts.  The assumption is that Jesus and the Apostles were special, and nothing like that would happen now.  I don't believe in faith healers, but there is a literal biblical precedent.

• Plus1 2

I believe in the afterlife.  I think there is paranormal activity but I think it is rarely seen.  I once knew a gal who worked at a local funeral home.  She said this lady ghost was known by all of the employees and would occasionally be seen.  I've also known others who have said they have seen 'things' - but I never have.   I do believe in angels and spirits (evil) that war in the unseen world and I've heard stories of that unseen world becoming seen at times - but again, I've not seen one.    Again this is a fun topic to talk about to get us through the day. 

I also had a friend in HS who said he and his girl friend saw a UFO. This was in the Mid 1970s when there seemed to be a lot of talk about UFOs.  I guess that could be another topic.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, knapplc said:

*Allegedly* an ancestor of mine was supposed to be a very good medium.  Like my great-grandmother, or great-great-grandmother. 

Knapp, what separates a 'very good medium' from an average or good medium:dunno.   Maybe real good connectivity perhaps??

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Knapp, what separates a 'very good medium' from an average or good medium:dunno.   Maybe real good connectivity perhaps??

Years ago, I was removing a drill press from a shop I was working at and they forgot to shut off the electricity before I went to undo the wiring.  I found out I have GREAT connectivity.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Years ago, I was removing a drill press from a shop I was working at and they forgot to shut off the electricity before I went to undo the wiring.  I found out I have GREAT connectivity.

The old Lock Out, Tag Out omission got you!  So what are you seeing floating around at night!  Maybe there is some paranormal going on because of it.

I once tackled a guy so hard in HS football that I saw stars dancing  - does that qualify as paranormal? 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Christian: yes.

Afterlife: yes.

paranormal: no.

I can see the hypocrisy in that set of beliefs, but that doesn't change my belief.  I also find it odd that we "mainline" protestants generally don't talk much about faith healing, raising the dead and exorcisms, even though the bible talks about the apostles performing such acts.  The assumption is that Jesus and the Apostles were special, and nothing like that would happen now.  I don't believe in faith healers, but there is a literal biblical precedent.

Nor would I expect it to change your opinion.  But that's kinda my whole point with this poll, one but not the other seems weird to me.  One possibility is irrational yet the other isn't?  Contradicting in many ways, but that's what has made me agnostic over the years.

Edited by Redux