Paranormal and the afterlife

Paranormal/Afterlife   

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I definitely have a guilty pleasure for paranormal investigation shows. I believe in some kind of after life (though who can say what that really is) and I'm not sure if I necessarily believe in ghosts or anything like that. Whether it's a multiverse or actual ghosts none of us can say, but I have seen and read about things that are truly incredible so who is to say.

To me, I just don't get it.  It's like watching professional wrestling.  The draw to it just doesn't make any sense.

Anyway....to each their own.  Glad everyone can find their own form of entertainment.

• Plus1 1

I do like fiction, though. Movie or TV worlds where things like spirits and spiritual realms exist, or surrealist sci-fi, often drawing from rich cultural mythologies. When it's separated from the question of whether these things are factual, I like how imaginative these worlds can get.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

To me, I just don't get it.  It's like watching professional wrestling.  The draw to it just doesn't make any sense.

Anyway....to each their own.  Glad everyone can find their own form of entertainment.

When I was a kid I liked the characters.  When I was a teen i liked the badass violence.  Now, I appreciate the pageantry and athletecism, dedication and writing that goes into the product.  It's not for everyone, understandable.

Paranormal shows, I just don't really watch anymore.  I religiously watched Ghost Hunters in its prime, but even that show got too far up its own rear end for me.  Now that I have several years experience actually doing the same thing it drives me nuts to see shows over dramatizing something.  Evil equals ratings though, so what can ya do.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

A big part of it is I've always liked paranormal horror films quite a bit (The Babadook, Verónica, The Conjuring, Insidious, Poltergeist, etc.) and so, to me, ghost hunting shows are sort of along that vein.

To clarify, though, when I say that I have a guilty pleasure for paranormal investigation shows, it's really only a guilty pleasure for one of them and I think it's a shell of what it used to be: Ghost Adventures. I really enjoyed when that show first came out around 2008-2009 because it was just three dudes locking themselves up in scary places, no camera crews and just investigating. Now, even their show has become ridiculous, overbearing and outrageous.

I do have a handful of pretty awesome ghost and UFO stories that have happened to people I know --- not the once or twice removed sources that urban legends usually rely on. 

Even then....the evidence is for something unexplainable. It's another complete leap to aliens and spirits from the afterlife. 

• 1 year later...