Parkland, FL High School Shooting

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

You wondered if Democrats would get on board with saving aborted babies. I'm telling you that Democrats are the ones pushing plenty of policy that would result in less aborted babies. I figured that would be something you'd be excited about and on board with. What gives? Are you saying you won't be happy until there's zero abortions?

I say "yes", and you say "well, that's what we're looking for with mass shootings":P

Obviously, I don't want another mass shooting in our country.... Would I like to see zero abortions? Outside of the abortions that are performed to save the mother, or those for rape victims, sure, I think that'd be great. Do I think free condoms, and educational videos would stop women from having them? No.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You're joking about the pregnancy prevention part, right? There have been many examples of sex education reducing abortion rates. 

I'm young enough to remember knowing exactly what a condom was, along with their purpose, and still deciding (mutually with the girls) to forgo using one anyways.

Do you think most women have abortions because they feel they were duped, and not made aware of how sex works and the obvious risks.... Or because they're trying to avoid the massive responsibility heading their way?

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 1
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I say "yes", and you say "well, that's what we're looking for with mass shootings":P

Obviously, I don't want another mass shooting in our country.... Would I like to see zero abortions? Outside of the abortions that are performed to save the mother, or those for rape victims, sure, I think that'd be great. Do I think free condoms, and educational videos would stop women from having them? No.

You say yes and I say, "How unreasonable do you think it is when liberals hold an all or nothing position like that?" I think most of the more progressive people in this thread, and in this country, would be pretty pleased and mostly content if the number of mass shootings in our country, or the number of gun homicides/suicides, was cut in half or something.

Anyways, the point is how your reaction to the idea that Democrats would, in fact, get on board with saving a bunch of aborted babies, seemed pretty lukewarm and not impressed. 

Just now, Landlord said:

You say yes and I say, "How unreasonable do you think it is when liberals hold an all or nothing position like that?" I think most of the more progressive people in this thread, and in this country, would be pretty pleased and mostly content if the number of mass shootings in our country, or the number of gun homicides/suicides, was cut in half or something.

Anyways, the point is how your reaction to the idea that Democrats would, in fact, get on board with saving a bunch of aborted babies, seemed pretty lukewarm and not impressed. 

Well at least it would be a worthy byproduct of the liberal coddling :P 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The hysterical shrieking all but accusing anyone who supports the Second Amendment of being an accessory to murder? That hardly merits a response.

That hasn't happened here. And you seem incapable/unwilling to use the quote function. Instead, you're making general and inaccurate accusations aimed at no one in particular. You also conveniently ignore responses to your own questions.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Even if there were only two, the statistic would be available. 

If if you need more, just wait. 

Yes, but we couldn't extrapolate.

Someone already posted that there was an armed guard when this shooting occured. That doesn't prove armed guards are a bad idea.

Edited by Moiraine

16 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yes, but we couldn't extrapolate.

Someone already posted that there was an armed guard when this shooting occured. That doesn't prove armed guards are a bad idea.

Yes....but it does point towards it not being the “only” solution. 

Its a start to gaining an understanding. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The hysterical shrieking all but accusing anyone who supports the Second Amendment of being an accessory to murder? That hardly merits a response.

Good post.

It reminds me of a great quote I once heard.....

"Be careful not to confuse volume for accuracy"

18 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Good post.

It reminds me of a great quote I once heard.....

"Be careful not to confuse volume for accuracy"

Have you read the topic? Doesn't seem like it, since no one is doing what Ric is claiming.

Most of the discussion has been an agreement that something should be done, and then discussing what it should be. It's been a really reasonable discussion, actually, from people who've never owned a gun to those who own several, those who think it's a mental health problem, a gun problem, and both. It's been a good discussion, especially given the topic, so it's pretty obnoxious when people randomly come in throwing out generalities that don't apply at all to what people have been posting.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Have you read the topic? Doesn't seem like it, since no one is doing what Ric is claiming.

Most of the discussion has been an agreement that something should be done, and then discussing what it should be. It's been a really reasonable discussion, actually, from people who've never owned a gun to those who own several, those who think it's a mental health problem, a gun problem, and both. It's been a good discussion, so it's pretty obnoxious when people randomly come in throwing out generalities that don't apply at all to what people have been posting.

Yes, I've read the thread.

Often times I read something I disagree with.  I rarely comment.  I like the premise of actions speaking louder than words.

Political discourse is full of words.

It is my sincere hope that action is taken.

22 hours ago, Moiraine said:

They're not. The GOP brings up mental health so they don't have to do anything about access to guns. They then do nothing about mental health. 

That hasn't happened here. And you seem incapable/unwilling to use the quote function. Instead, you're making general and inaccurate accusations aimed at no one in particular. You also conveniently ignore responses to your own questions.

I didn’t accuse anyone in particular. But your quote speaks for itself. Pointing fingers and whining about how evil the  other guys are is childish and unproductive. Let’s talk about workable solutions.

Edited by Ric Flair
  • Plus1 1