Russia

I'd love to know how involved our intelligence services are involved in what we're seeing from the fires in Belgorod, to the sinking of the Moskva, to the psyops posted above.  Not to go full American exceptionallism but the Ukrainians have definitely punched above their weight to their credit.  But how much is due to our intelligence we are providing?

Can you imagine having a president in office who would want to take credit for all of this and in the meantime blowing our cover?

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Concerning is the minimum. I think it's borderline horrific.

Why?  At least they know their loved one's fate.  Better than leaving them to rot to the point that identification is nearly impossible.  All of this is on Putin and the Russians.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Why?  At least they know their loved one's fate.  Better than leaving them to rot to the point that identification is nearly impossible.  All of this is on Putin and the Russians.

If i read it right they're sending family and loved ones the actual photos...not just notifications.

52 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

If i read it right they're sending family and loved ones the actual photos...not just notifications.

You are reading it correctly. I won't disagree that it's maybe horrific, not just concerning.

What I'm hung up on is the necessity. The Russians are being fed Qanon levels of misinformation about the world, and specifically about the Ukraine war. They need to be informed of the real facts. This is certainly *A* way to do that, but is it OK?

If they won't listen to simple reason, and their country is waging genocide on your country, how far would you go to break through that misinformation?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You are reading it correctly. I won't disagree that it's maybe horrific, not just concerning.

What I'm hung up on is the necessity. The Russians are being fed Qanon levels of misinformation about the world, and specifically about the Ukraine war. They need to be informed of the real facts. This is certainly *A* way to do that, but is it OK?

If they won't listen to simple reason, and their country is waging genocide on your country, how far would you go to break through that misinformation?

What can the mothers/fathers significant others do to alter that course? What does this accomplish towards any alternative? 

In other words, what good does it do? It's despicable, and likely enraged the families more at the Ukrainian IT/SF that did it more than at their own Country's army.

If I am a Ukrainian, I am totally fine with it.  If I am a Mom/Dad of a Russian soldier and I get a picture of my dead kid, well, everyone in the world knows that is wrong.  

So it is one of those things where you can see both sides and if you can't, you are either lying or lying.

12 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

What can the mothers/fathers significant others do to alter that course? What does this accomplish towards any alternative? 

In other words, what good does it do? It's despicable, and likely enraged the families more at the Ukrainian IT/SF that did it more than at their own Country's army.

It's self-evident what it's doing.

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So it is one of those things where you can see both sides and if you can't, you are either lying or lying.

I can definitely see both sides of it, which is why it's hard to agree with and hard to condemn.

What lengths would you go to in order to stop genocide in your country? That's hard to answer from behind a computer screen.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's self-evident what it's doing.

I can definitely see both sides of it, which is why it's hard to agree with and hard to condemn.

What lengths would you go to in order to stop genocide in your country? That's hard to answer from behind a computer screen.

Exactly.  Trying to put yourself into the position of a mom getting a picture sent to you of your dead kid.  What do you do?  Do you delete it right away, do you keep it forever, do you show your family, do you not show your family, I would not even know where to begin.

If I am a Ukrainian, I am sending all the pictures I can of the dead bodies to try and get the commies to leave or revolt at home.

3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Concerning is the minimum. I think it's borderline horrific.

That isn't a good enough reason to not do it. This is war. They absolutely should do this. They need to use whatever weapons they have at their disposal. They aren't physically hurting someone with this action, they didn't start the war, and they aren't the ones who left their dead behind. That was Russia. It may be the only way Russians find out the truth of how the war has gone, and how little their government cares about their soldiers. And, obviously this isn't the point of it, but it may be the only way these families will get an inkling of what happened to their kids.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I understand what you’re saying and the entire thing is horrific. 

But, at the same time, I don’t blame the Ukrainians for doing it. Should they instead send pictures of the dead Ukrainians their son killed?

they are trying to create anger towards Putin inside Russia. It’s worth trying. Russia invaded them and are slaughtering innocent civilians. I don’t have a problem with Ukrainians doing this.