Which QB Should Be The Starter

Starting QB  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Why Martinez and not those two?

Because he fits this offense a lot better than Gebbia, and is more talented than Bunch. He ran a similar offense in high school and posted monster numbers as a JR. Good size already for a true fresh, mature, and is the best runner out of the group which is needed in this offense. It helps when you can't be hit in the spring game, but I felt like he was completely poised and showed his potential for a kid that is still supposed to be in HS. Has that IT factor as well. I don't think Gebbia is a good enough runner to keep the defense at a high level of interest on the RPO plays. Bunch has impressed, but is a walk-on more than likely for a reason (doesn't seem like a leader). I don't want to knock on the other two kids, but there is a reason that Frost and Co. shouted from Lincoln to Cali when this kid committed. 

• Plus1 1
On 5/6/2018 at 5:09 PM, brophog said:

If we are only going to win 6 games like so many predict, what's to be concerned about? I think most would easily trade a mediocre first season for a spectacular second season. Milton is pretty unique, though. I can't ever recall a QB making that big of a jump in the same offense with that kind of volume. I'm not sure you'd see that kind of transformation here.

I also think our QBs are significantly further ahead of anything they had that first spring in no small part because our staff is further ahead. 

I was referring to the comment that any of our QBs could run this offense at a high level. I agree with the statement, but I think it may take two years to reach that level. I also think it is as dependent on the O-line is it is on any of the QBs. At UCF, this staff did not have to reduce workout intensity because of out of shape players. On the other hand, we have a staff that took over an 0-12 team, so they know what to do. I just wonder if a 4-8 Husker team is more of a challenge than an 0-12 UCF team.

Anyone know what kind of offrnse and defense were being run at UCF the year before Frost came in there?  It would be interesting to know what kind of players were being recruited there so how much change Frost had to make in underlying schemes, style, players, etc.   Obviously UCF had some talent as Frost didn't bring it all in.  His juniors and seniors would have been recruits from before some anyway.   

We know Riley was NOT receruiting the athletes Frost wants so it is a big change in style, speed, scheme, etc.   Maybe more transformation in Lincoln, than UCF?

31 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Anyone know what kind of offrnse and defense were being run at UCF the year before Frost came in there?  It would be interesting to know what kind of players were being recruited there so how much change Frost had to make in underlying schemes, style, players, etc.   Obviously UCF had some talent as Frost didn't bring it all in.  His juniors and seniors would have been recruits from before some anyway.   

We know Riley was NOT receruiting the athletes Frost wants so it is a big change in style, speed, scheme, etc.   Maybe more transformation in Lincoln, than UCF?

Running a conservative pro-style set under George O'Leary, the Knights finished dead last in the FBS in total offense with 268.4 yards per game last season. UCF ranked 125th out of 127 teams in scoring, averaging 13.9 points.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-scott-frost-brian-schmitz-0825-20160824-column.html

• Plus1 2

14 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I don't know if we can make such a blanket statement in regards to the whole team. I think you're right for the most part, but I think there's a very real (and accurate) argument out there to suggest Frost's offense fits someone like Tyjon Lindsey better than Riley's offense.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I don't know if we can make such a blanket statement in regards to the whole team. I think you're right for the most part, but I think there's a very real (and accurate) argument out there to suggest Frost's offense fits someone like Tyjon Lindsey better than Riley's offense.

In terms of offensive personnel, I don't think it's correct at all to suggest there is more of a transformation required. Of the major contributors at the skill positions last year for UCF, only Tre'Quan Smith and Jordan Akins were from the prior staff. That is two very major contributors, but guys like Milton, Killans, Anderson, and Snelson were all frosh/soph last year. (I'm not counting McGowan as a major contributor because even though he got early opportunities, he's ultimately benched for poor productivity. There's a very good reason the entire last half of the season saw heavy use of Milton/Killans/Anderson.)

At running back Nebraska doesn't return much other than numbers, but that's because they aren't terribly good running backs for any offense, in my opinion, but even they are more productive than what UCF had initially. At receiver, though, there is a really strong base to start with in Morgan/Spielman/Lindsey/McQuitty. It would be very disappointing if Nebraska's offensive production is less than UCF's first year, and I very much don't expect it. The transformation into spring and moving into summer has gone very well.

Comparisons only go so far in discussions like this. Bottomline, when you look at the returning pieces and combine them with the JUCO and freshman brought in, this team has a bounty of pieces to work with in year 1. The offensive line is the weakest group, but that's not a schematic issue, and there is stock to work with even there.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, brophog said:

At running back Nebraska doesn't return much other than numbers, but that's because they aren't terribly good running backs for any offense, in my opinion, but even they are more productive than what UCF had initially. At receiver, though, there is a really strong base to start with in Morgan/Spielman/Lindsey/McQuitty. It would be very disappointing if Nebraska's offensive production is less than UCF's first year, and I very much don't expect it. The transformation into spring and moving into summer has gone very well.

This is one of the reasons that being a better passer (or at least getting the ball to the receivers, not necessarily a better throwing motion) may be a deciding factor for the starting QB this season. And why I'm sticking with Gebbia as the starter.

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Because he fits this offense a lot better than Gebbia, and is more talented than Bunch. He ran a similar offense in high school and posted monster numbers as a JR. Good size already for a true fresh, mature, and is the best runner out of the group which is needed in this offense. It helps when you can't be hit in the spring game, but I felt like he was completely poised and showed his potential for a kid that is still supposed to be in HS. Has that IT factor as well. I don't think Gebbia is a good enough runner to keep the defense at a high level of interest on the RPO plays. Bunch has impressed, but is a walk-on more than likely for a reason (doesn't seem like a leader). I don't want to knock on the other two kids, but there is a reason that Frost and Co. shouted from Lincoln to Cali when this kid committed. 

For the most part I don't disagree, though I do think the community commentary on the QB running portion of this offense gets exaggerated and Gebbia's ability to execute it doesn't get enough credit.

In regards to your comments on Martinez, yeah. I think the staff is willing to make the best guy the starter, but they're really waiting on Martinez to become that guy. They talk about him a little differently, there is a sparkle in their eye when he's brought up. For good reason, as you allude to. He's special as a playmaker, maybe even more special as a leader, but he has a lot of work to do to separate himself this summer in other areas from Gebbia, and Tristan won't make that easy. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is one of the reasons that being a better passer (or at least getting the ball to the receivers, not necessarily a better throwing motion) may be a deciding factor for the starting QB this season. And why I'm sticking with Gebbia as the starter.

Yes.

The RPOs...the QB run game....Frost does some creative and sometimes unique things with this but these kinds of offenses have been around a while now and teams know how to deal with them. It's taking those things and combining it with an efficient vertical passing game that makes this thing so devastating. With what is required of the QB run game, I would easily trade a dynamic runner for an accurate passer. 

Ultimately, you'd like both, and that's the promise Martinez possesses, but I think you state very well why Gebbia should not be easily dismissed. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, brophog said:

For the most part I don't disagree, though I do think the community commentary on the QB running portion of this offense gets exaggerated and Gebbia's ability to execute it doesn't get enough credit.

In regards to your comments on Martinez, yeah. I think the staff is willing to make the best guy the starter, but they're really waiting on Martinez to become that guy. They talk about him a little differently, there is a sparkle in their eye when he's brought up. For good reason, as you allude to. He's special as a playmaker, maybe even more special as a leader, but he has a lot of work to do to separate himself this summer in other areas from Gebbia, and Tristan won't make that easy. 

Anyone can technically run the ball, but to what extent it is effective is a big difference in these two. I'm all for Gebbia proving me wrong and playing well - I just see Martinez as a better player. I know they are in different offenses in HS, but no way Gebbia could have put up the numbers AM did as a JR....1,462 rushing yards (8 ypc) in comparison to 293 rushing yards (3.8 ypc) 

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Anyone can technically run the ball, but to what extent it is effective is a big difference in these two. I'm all for Gebbia proving me wrong and playing well - I just see Martinez as a better player. I know they are in different offenses in HS, but no way Gebbia could have put up the numbers AM did as a JR....1,462 rushing yards (8 ypc) in comparison to 293 rushing yards (3.8 ypc) 

It's all about what is required of a QB in this offense. The vast, vast majority of the QB runs are weak side runs taking advantage of numbers. I feel pretty confident in saying this, if Gebbia couldn't execute in this regard, he wouldn't still be here and we would be aggressively seeking an immediate solution. 

• Plus1 3
29 minutes ago, brophog said:

It's all about what is required of a QB in this offense. The vast, vast majority of the QB runs are weak side runs taking advantage of numbers. I feel pretty confident in saying this, if Gebbia couldn't execute in this regard, he wouldn't still be here and we would be aggressively seeking an immediate solution. 

He may be mobile enough to get by - we will see, I stated to play at a high level I didn't think so. I think he stuck around betting he can beat out a true freshman, a walk-on, and a kid who left cause he had a 5.0 40 time.