DT Nash Hutmacher

HuskerBoard Predictor  

77 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Hutmacher commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

13 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Don't know if all, but several have try outs which smaller schools do not have. 

If by try outs do you mean they cut wrestlers from the team?  I have never heard of that.  We usually had at least 40 guys out for wrestling 9-12.  My head coach encouraged any kid that wanted to wrestle to go out for wrestling no matter how good or bad they were.  I coached at Norfolk public.  We were very average at wrestling but had a lot of kids out.  Most Omaha metro schools were probably in the 20-30 range for number of wrestlers participating.  Lincoln was not a wrestling town back 10 years ago.  It may have changed since then.  Lots of Lincoln schools didn't field a full team.  Having 20 kids out for wrestling at any of the public schools would have been a good number.  

When I say most wt classes at state in class A had 3-4 kids in them that really didn't deserve to be there I speak from experience.  Norfolk always qualified 8-9 wrestlers for state and 3-4 of them were very average wrestlers sneaking into state in 4th place in a weak weight class.  Most wt classes had 2-3 good wrestlers and the rest were very average.  

17 minutes ago, NUinID said:

If by try outs do you mean they cut wrestlers from the team?  I have never heard of that.  We usually had at least 40 guys out for wrestling 9-12.  My head coach encouraged any kid that wanted to wrestle to go out for wrestling no matter how good or bad they were.  I coached at Norfolk public.  We were very average at wrestling but had a lot of kids out.  Most Omaha metro schools were probably in the 20-30 range for number of wrestlers participating.  Lincoln was not a wrestling town back 10 years ago.  It may have changed since then.  Lots of Lincoln schools didn't field a full team.  Having 20 kids out for wrestling at any of the public schools would have been a good number.  

When I say most wt classes at state in class A had 3-4 kids in them that really didn't deserve to be there I speak from experience.  Norfolk always qualified 8-9 wrestlers for state and 3-4 of them were very average wrestlers sneaking into state in 4th place in a weak weight class.  Most wt classes had 2-3 good wrestlers and the rest were very average.  

IMO...Class A is probably the weakest overall when it comes to wrestling and it has to do with your last comments.  You can go through the state tourney for the last 10 years and find a number of wrestlers that qualified for state with a losing record.   I believe a kid even made the finals a couple years ago with a losing record. 

As for Lincoln wrestling,  it has picked up big time.  There a some really good pee-wee programs that have started up in the last 10 years and have actually churned out some damn good wrestlers that are in the HS ranks.  

Wrestling as a whole is growing in Nebraska, starting from the pee-wee ranks and going all the way up to the college ranks.  My oldest son graduated last year and wrestled since he was 6 and it is amazing how much the sport has grown in that amount of time.  I currently have a 12 year old and a 5 year old that are wrestling and if they wanted, they could wrestle almost year round it has grown that much with tournaments and camps. 

Anyone else sort of turned off by the kids dad?  I can't put my finger on it but something about his lifting videos and stuff like that, it is just so "uggggg", maybe not even turned off, more just like an eye roll.  

Back to wrestling, I feel like by 9th grade you know if a kid is going to be a state champ or not...it is just soooooooo freaking clear which kids, even at that age, are awesome or not.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

IMO...Class A is probably the weakest overall when it comes to wrestling and it has to do with your last comments.  You can go through the state tourney for the last 10 years and find a number of wrestlers that qualified for state with a losing record.   I believe a kid even made the finals a couple years ago with a losing record. 

As for Lincoln wrestling,  it has picked up big time.  There a some really good pee-wee programs that have started up in the last 10 years and have actually churned out some damn good wrestlers that are in the HS ranks.  

Wrestling as a whole is growing in Nebraska, starting from the pee-wee ranks and going all the way up to the college ranks.  My oldest son graduated last year and wrestled since he was 6 and it is amazing how much the sport has grown in that amount of time.  I currently have a 12 year old and a 5 year old that are wrestling and if they wanted, they could wrestle almost year round it has grown that much with tournaments and camps. 

Good to know about Lincoln Wrestling.  All it takes is a really good coach.  GI was never any good at wrestling and then they hired a great coach and 4 years later they were state champs.  I know they have dropped off some since,  when I left Nebraska they were king of class A.  Their HC was the head wrestling coach at Dakota Wesleyan before he came to Grand Island.  He ran a program form little kid all the way through HS.   

7 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Back to Nash, hopefully Tuioti can develop a quick relationship. Based on setting up OVs for the summer, has he announced when he would like to commit, perhaps by the beginning of his senior season? 

Tulioti will have some ground to make up probably but my hope is he and his family favor Lincoln and the Husker staff as a whole. Our coaches are making him a priority.  Thanks for bringing the convo back to football.

4 hours ago, NUinID said:

Yes, as I know they do it in Lincoln SW & NE (class A) and Norris & Pius (class B).  They only have so many spots on the team, whether it be football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, etc.   At some schools, they might have to worry about numbers.  And it might be up to the coach.

9 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Yes, as I know they do it in Lincoln SW & NE (class A) and Norris & Pius (class B).  They only have so many spots on the team, whether it be football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, etc.   At some schools, they might have to worry about numbers.  And it might be up to the coach.

Really?  Interesting.  I have never seen cuts in wrestling.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

We never did in HS, but I went to a small class B, which is C today.  Have a friend who son was cut from Lincoln Northeast wrestling team.  He was pissed.

Is the kid an a$$?  Or have crap grades?

It is just so odd but maybe the coach just didn't want a ton of kids, but that is sooooo opposite of most wrestling coach, maybe the coach is a doosher.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to DT Nash Hutmacher