Against adding to playoff

On 7/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, Redux said:

ROUND 1

(Independents do not qualify, sorry not sorry.  All division winners are technically in the tournament at this point because Round 1 is essentially conference championship week.  Seeding and advancement will be decided by a committee after this slate of games.)

B1G East

B1G West

ACC Coastal

ACC Atlantic

Big XII Northernish

Big XII Texas lackeys

SEC East

SEC West

Pac 12 North

Pac 12 South

MtnWest Mountain

MtnWest Western

AAC  East

AAC West

C-USA East

C-USA West

MAC East

MAC West

Sun Belt East

Sun Belt West

ROUND 2

(Seeding now occurs via vote and computer rankings, the power 5 champions automatically are in.  The top ranked Group of 5 champion with the best record is also automatically in.  The remaining 2 spots going to either another of the group of 5 champions or an at large team or a power 5 runner up) Example:

#1 SEC Champ (West)

#8 AAC Champ (East)

#3 ACC Champ (Coastal)

#6 SEC Runner Up (East)

#2 B1G Champ (East)

#7 MtnWest Champ (Mountain)

#4 Pac 12 Champ (South)

#5 Big XII Champ (Texas lackeys)

ROUND 3

(Tournament continues as normal from here on out.  The Rose Bowl sanctity can be figured out as necessary to accommodate, but frankly it doesn't even matter in the grand scheme.)

#1 SEC Champ (West)

#3 ACC Champ (Coastal)

#2 B1G Champ (East)

#4 Pac 12 Champ (South)

FINAL/NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

#1 SEC Champ (West)

#2 B1G Champ (East)

Revised a touch

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

If they move to 8, the 5 Power 5 champs are automatic.  The top rated Group of 5 champion is automatic.  The last two spots can go to a 2nd group of 5, conference title runner ups and any at larges that didn't win their division IE Alabama.

Agreed, and have the top 4 teams host the first round games, then use the current format for the semifinals and finals.

On 7/23/2018 at 6:25 PM, Boy of the Corn said:

All the rage right now seems to be moving to a 8 team playoff. Frost is for it but I am against it. Here's why:

I want the season to matter. Yes you have to have a good season to get into playoff position but lose a couple games and as long as you play good at the end of the season, it will not negatively effect you.

p5 champions should not automatically get in. All the talk is about 5 p5 champions and 3 at large, but what about when your conference champion has an average/poor record? 

what about the last team left out: There will always be a last team left out that is arguably as good as the last team in.

4 or more post regular season games: add up your conference championship and your playoff games and to become a champion you have to play a heck of a lot of games. 

other bowl games mean even less:woohoo you get into the orange,fiesta, rose bowl, etc with a terrible record because all capable teams are in playoff.

less undefeated champions: Tom Osborne went for 2 against Miami because he believed to be a champion you had to beat your opponent. Adding to the playoff will increase the chances of teams having 2, 3, or more losses. 

Hype: Certain teams seem to get overranked because of their name (not their performance) i.e. notre dame

higher chance of playing teams multiple times same season. Imagine a year where Nebraska beats ohio state in the regular season only to lose in the conference championship but gets an at large bid and play again in the playoffs

Wrong champion: Coinciding with the first one. Is the champion the best team or the team that played the best at the end of the season? 

hard on fans: unless they are going to move games to college campuses, how many of you super fans can travel 3 or 4 weeks in a row to watch nebraska play? 

1. What you have now is not a true or statistically relevant playoff. 

2.  The season doesn't matter NOW as evidenced by Alabama being selected despite a loss at #10 Auburn the week before and close games with #19 Miss. St and unranked Texas A&M.

3. You need at least 8 teams to have a meaningful playoff.  This takes some of the pundit error out of it.  Yes sometimes #5 actually has the right stuff.  I have personally seen a 16 seed be actually the 2nd or 3rd best team in a ranked field, so it is entirely possible that an 8 seed could be the toughest.  

4.  The regular season needs to matter in that conferences need to act as divisions where each champ gets a spot with one or two at large.  I would prefer 2 play in games starting with a 10 team field.

5.  Drop the 2nd and 3rd (Pansy) games of the year and lets get it on 'Dillos !

12 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

With the money involved, I don't think we'll ever see the bolded. 

Maybe, but I would think ticket sales would be higher if it's at one team's stadium rather than both teams having to travel halfway across the country.

You can still have sponsors too.

2 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

The 8 or 10 or 16 team playoff is inevitable.  The reasons we know this are:

1.  Change is the only constant.

2.  We ain't going back to the past, of two teams or no champioship pairing, so that only leaves one possible avenue of change:  more teams.

The main reason they will expand the playoffs is monetary, just like the NCAA basketball tournament . The "big dance" is a fun spectacle, where tons of games means tons of profits, for many of the parties involved.. Office pools, gambling, and  bracketology , give people a reason to care whether Alabama school for the blind, beats Southwest Rhode Island tech in the first round, and they stir up interest for the sport.. Its entertaining and profitable yes , but the best way to decide who was the best team all year? Not really. Each team plays a 27 game regular season, and you still have 68 teams that have a legit claim to being the best? C'mon man!

You are correct though the playoffs will be expanded, like it or not, and probably soon.   

To make the season into the tournament, you need to assure some kind of fairly equal scheduling amongst all the teams in the division.   At a minimum, you need all the teams to be in conferences, (sixteen members in each would be great).   Each conference as two 8 team divsions with a title game.   8 conferences of 16 teams = 128 division schools.  The eight champions can be seeded either by random lot or by some kind of ranking or won'/loss records.

Teams would need to play their division games (seven) plus a championship game.  Add in two out of conference games vs a rotating selection of schools from other conferences.  And two intradivisional games witin the conference again from rotational selection.   This assures, atleast over time, a good change of venue and matchups around the various conferences across the country.   Games ought to be on a home and away basis so all teams are fairly treated.   This makes an 11 game regular season with one week off somewhere in there for a 12 week season.   The 8 champions then play to determine the national champion.   

Bowl games can be continued using all the non playoff teams they want to entertain. 

I think ideally playoff games should be at neutral sites but could be determined by a flip of the coin as between the teams involved.

The entire organization ought to be organized as the College Football League or something similar.  Dump the NCAA and all its rules, regulations, etc.    

If you're not in a 16 team conference, you are not eligible.  Notre Dame would have to join or go division 2.  

The existing conferences can certainly be kept 'as is' subject to making the membership numbers equal.   If existing schools and or conferences don't want to join and follow the rules, then leave them out altogther and shrink the number of conferences in the new CFL accordingly.  You can simply replace champions with wild card teams to keep the 8 team playoff. 

Let the bidding begin on new TV contracts for divisions, etc. 

This basically addresses all of the concerns, etc of all the naysayers and makes sense of college football.  I think the CFL would rival the NFL quite quickly.  

If they stick with four teams than they have to make it mandatory that you win your division and take part in your conference championship game, very lame that 'blama got in and won it when they couldn't even win their own division.  

I prefer eight teams myself, that allows for a team like UCF to get in and I believe having teams like that in the playoffs only makes it better.

• Plus1 1

Frost likes eight teams:

"I guess my view of the playoff is I think that'd be the best," Frost said of the simple reason he wants 8. "I think it'd be awesome for college football. You watch the Sweet 16, and there's every year, there's a 12 seed that's there that nobody expected to be there. Well, let's say we went 1-3 in our first four games, and caught fire and won the West, and we're firing on all cylinders, and playing as well as anyone in the country, and we go to a Big Ten Championship, and beat an undefeated team in the East – do we deserve to go? I think so. We won the conference. They [the East Division team] probably do too, because they're undefeated and lost one game. They would probably get one of the three at-large spots.

"I think that creates excitement. It makes games matter for everybody, including the team that's catching fire at the end. I think it gives you some underdogs that would make college football more fun."

Frost knows bowl games are the things that have always made putting a playoff together difficult in the eyes of the powers that be. The coach likes bowl games, but believes there's a way to expand the playoff while keeping those in play.

"I don't know why you can't play the first round before Jan. 1. Why can't the first round be on Dec. 25 and 26, and the second round be on Jan. 1 and 2, and the championship game be early January? You hear the argument that that would make regular-season games matter less. I don't think so. If you went more than eight maybe, because then you have a bunch of two-loss teams in there. Maybe a three-loss team. I hope it keeps evolving. My opinion, for whatever it's worth, is that eight is the best."

3 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I agree with his points, except I don't want to see games on December 25th.  Do them Dec. 22nd and 23rd, but don't put games on Christmas day.

Yeah, that's the only thing I thought was odd as well.  Play them about where you said and let the higher seed host.  Makes doing better in the regular season more valuable.