Pre-Season USA Today Coaches Poll

Just now, Moiraine said:

If we beat Michigan by 3 touchdowns may we'll be top 10. Or they'll just assume Michigan sucks.

If Nebraska is ranked and Michigan is a top 10 team at that point, and Nebraska goes into Ann Arbor and beats Michigan by 1 point, you could make an argument for Nebraska being in there.

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If Nebraska is ranked and Michigan is a top 10 team at that point, and Nebraska goes into Ann Arbor and beats Michigan by 1 point, you could make an argument for Nebraska being in there.

That argument can always be made, but it’s not how the polls work.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, NUance said:

So it's just as easy to win on the road in October/November as it is in Memorial Stadium?   Heh, in all these years of watching college football I always thought road games were tougher to win.  Thanks for educating me.  I'll make sure to pay careful attention to your college football insights in the future.  

I'm rarely wrong so you probably should

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

If some of the voters are making that argument, it kind of is.

What voters are those?

If the #1 team loses its first game to an unranked team, the unranked team doesn't swap places, even though that seems pretty logical especially since they were both undefeated. It just doesn't work the way you're saying, usually. If Michigan beats Notre Dame, which will launch them into the top 10, Nebraska's not going to move into the top 10 by beating them by 1 point. I can almost guarantee it. Even if it makes perfect logical sense for it to happen.

I think it's kind of comical. In one corner of HB there are a good portion of people predicting 6-7 wins tops and in another people are already trying to finagle a way into the top 10. Just an observation.

Personally I think we will see the top 20 at some point and if things go exceptionally well, maybe higher  I suppose if things fall in place and we start off on a tear, top 10 at some point could be possible.

3 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I think it's kind of comical. In one corner of HB there are a good portion of people predicting 6-7 wins tops and in another people are already trying to finagle a way into the top 10. Just an observation.

Personally I think we will see the top 20 at some point and if things go exceptionally well, maybe higher  I suppose if things fall in place and we start off on a tear, top 10 at some point could be possible.

They’re only hypotheticals. E.g. I don’t think we’ll beat Michigan but I can still discuss what happens if we do. 

40 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

the unranked team doesn't swap places . . . It just doesn't work the way you're saying

Yeah I never said that.

But...

Beating a top 10 team on the road would increase the likelihood of a ranked team getting top 10 votes, and I don't think there's any disputing that.

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah I never said that.

But...

Beating a top 10 team on the road would increase the likelihood of a ranked team getting top 10 votes, and I don't think there's any disputing that.

Of course not. I thought we were talking about the overall poll not individual polls, and I didn't know we were talking about likelihoods.

1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I wish I was as optimistic as you, don't get me wrong when it comes to Coach Scott Frost the kool aid is flowing super hard, however I just think with our extremely tough schedule, and the fact that we are installing a brand new, completely different system than what our kids have been in the last 3 years. Now I know Coach Frost is a stud and our kids will be ready, but there is so much to over come in year 1, idk if we can win enough games and not get upset by someone we shouldn't to get into the top 20. 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

I wish I was as optimistic as you, don't get me wrong when it comes to Coach Scott Frost the kool aid is flowing super hard, however I just think with our extremely tough schedule, and the fact that we are installing a brand new, completely different system than what our kids have been in the last 3 years. Now I know Coach Frost is a stud and our kids will be ready, but there is so much to over come in year 1, idk if we can win enough games and not get upset by someone we shouldn't to get into the top 20. 

I may be under the influence of the Kool-Aid but I don't see where our schedule is that tough. Yes, our 3 toughest games are on the road but the only game I am writing off at this point is tOSU. I know the team has a long way to go to shed the damage done by Riley and to some extent by Bo but everything I've seen and heard leads me to believe that the attitude and work ethic is there and we all know that Frost has a plan and we will no longer suffer from the coach shortcomings of the last 3 years. We may struggle with new systems and facing Michigan so early does not help but it just no longer seems that tough. I see 3 or 4 teams that could beat us and I fully expect to win the other 8. NW, Iowa and Purdue should no longer be considered as tough opponents and I think we win at least one of those 4 toughest games. I'm hopeful that the days of dropping games we shouldn't are behind us  It only looked like a tough & brutal schedule when we still had Riley and his clan of misfits. Now it seems very manageable. I'm all N on what is happening. I think it could be a special season. If not, I know it won't be long. This team, this year, is going to perform at a level we haven't seen in many years. It may not lead to the number of wins I anticipate but I can guarantee we'll all be proud of the effort.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

Wait. What? We had a system for three years??

10 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I may be under the influence of the Kool-Aid but I don't see where our schedule is that tough.

I think you hit on this a little bit but SOS can be heavily weighted by perception. Nebraska is looking up at a lot of the competition now until proven otherwise which makes the difficulty of the schedule appear greater than say if Nebraska was entering 2018 as a preseason top 10 team. That said, it's still a tough schedule, and when you throw in a brand new QB and all of the other talking points we've been discussing, 6-7 wins is certainly the safe bet.