The Trump Economy

4 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I think it is not only to help people who lost their job but also to stimulate the economy. The people who lose their jobs probably wont spend it unless its to pay bills. The people who still have jobs will most likely spend that money going out to eat, at bars, etc. So while I get where youre coming from, I think this is more of a kill two birds with one stone sort of deal. 

There are no places open to spend my money at.  I'd rather cook at home than do takeout, and I'm not real keen on the idea of having my food delivered right now by a person who just exchanged cash/payments with 100 other people (those cars don't have sinks to wash hands in).  Granted, I'm just talking about my individual situation and others close to me.  But we are spending money on bills and groceries, that's it.  

Now, when this is over, I'll inject it back into the economy.  But that does nothing to stimulate the economy now.

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

There are no places open to spend my money at.  Granted, I'm just talking about my individual situation and others close to me.  But we are spending money on bills and groceries, that's it.  

The local retail and services are suffering the most. We are still ordering stuff online at our house, but that does not help our local community. Amazon and Costco are making our pretty well from us though. We are also moving to a new house next month. We got under contract and locked in financing before the $h!t hit the fan, so hopefully nothing gets delayed, but in addition to doing our part to stimulate the local housing market, we are also planning on spending a lot of money on new furniture. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

There are no places open to spend my money at.  Granted, I'm just talking about my individual situation and others close to me.  But we are spending money on bills and groceries, that's it.  

Now, when this is over, I'll inject it back into the economy.  But that does nothing to stimulate the economy now.

I would like to have a pizza delivered. I would like to support my buddy's food truck. White Elm Brewery in Lincoln is discussing beer deliveries. I'd like to support them & Zip Line & Empyrean Ales and others in my area.

There's probably a hundred stores I'd like to get money to somehow in the coming months.  We can figure out ways to do that while still minimizing contact.

• Plus1 2
46 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I would like to have a pizza delivered. I would like to support my buddy's food truck. White Elm Brewery in Lincoln is discussing beer deliveries. I'd like to support them & Zip Line & Empyrean Ales and others in my area.

There's probably a hundred stores I'd like to get money to somehow in the coming months.  We can figure out ways to do that while still minimizing contact.

I know.  But the idea of spending almost $5000 (edit: $4000) on alcohol and take-out food makes my stomach hurt...:wacko:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I know.  But the idea of spending almost $5000 on alcohol and take-out food makes my stomach hurt...:wacko:

There's a million things to spend that money on. Here's a list of small businesses still operating right now. If you're not in Lincoln, you can probably get a similar list from your local Chamber of Commerce. 

I patronize a bunch of these businesses in the course of a year. They need that more than ever right now.

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There's a million things to spend that money on. Here's a list of small businesses still operating right now. If you're not in Lincoln, you can probably get a similar list from your local Chamber of Commerce. 

I patronize a bunch of these businesses in the course of a year. They need that more than ever right now.

I'm starting to realize I'm naturally a minimalist that doesn't like to shop...

7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I must have missed an updated proposal...where is this $5000 figure coming from? I thought they wanted to give everyone $1000...?

I think hes talking about the total. $1,200 for him. $1,200 for his wife and then $500 per kid. Damn he has 5 kids haha

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

A wealthy CPA guy here in Tulsa and his firm decided to reimburse up to $25 per family the first 2020 people who sent in a restaurant receipt from local places that now can only do take out or delivery.  That is potentially a $50,500 gift. 

Our son lives in Hendersonville, NC -  just south of Asheville.   He helped get this going in their town.  He approached the chamber and the business development team and they ran wt the idea. A friend designed the website:

https://www.lovehendo.com/

Dear Businesses,

We understand there is a lot of uncertainty as a small business owner right now. As you may have seen, Governor Cooper will be announcing that restaurants and bars must close for dine in customers as of 5pm today. We know this is scary for small businesses, and we’re working to help however we can to make things just a little bit better.

www.lovehendo.com is a community response to collect local business information and provide a place for people to see how they can support Henderson County businesses while keeping their distance by purchasing gift cards and gift certificates.

The website will go live by Thursday, March 19. Please take a few moments to complete the form at www.lovehendo.com by the end of day on Wednesday, March 18 to ensure inclusion when the site is launched publicly. This website is limited to businesses only within Henderson County, except for members of the Henderson County Chamber of Commerce outside of the county.

Please fill out the information to the best of your ability, and as things change, feel free to send any updates to info@lovehendo.com and we will update your information as soon as we are able.

To incentivize purchasing gift cards from local businesses and helping cash flow during this time, we are encouraging any business to do a promotion to offer an additional $10 bonus for every $50 purchase through the end of March. Those businesses offering that will be denoted on the website. 

When the list of gift card locations and website is announced publicly on Thursday, please help us spread the word by sharing www.lovehendo.com on social media, and promoting #lovehendo in any way you can. If you do not have online resources for customers to purchase, we strongly recommend this as you prepare your business for the next several weeks or months.

• Thanks 1

Hold on tight.  We are in the midst of a real dive:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/903646/goldman-sachs-devastating-revision-gdp-growth-predictions

Goldman Sachs predicts the coronavirus crash will be bigger than it originally thought.

In a Friday research note, the bank projected a 24 percent drop in the U.S. GDP in the second quarter — a stark revision from its prediction of a five percent drop earlier this week. Goldman Sachs does see a slight rebound in Q3 and Q4 of 12 percent and 10 percent, respectively, but that still leaves the GDP down 3.8 percent at the end of the year.

ETjhdGYWsAMfWEy?format=jpg&name=900x900