Airing of the Grievances: Generation V Generation

Fru

I try not to lob many generational insults since I think there's always an air of superiority from one generation to the next. It's low-hanging fruit, IMO.

That said, there are a few things that have bothered me recently:

1) As a 'middle-aged' millennial, I feel like I don't have a ton in common with older millennials or younger millennials, yet we all routinely get lumped into one group. (as a disclaimer this happens with every age group, but since Millennials are the favorite generational punching bag these days...)

2) Some in the older generations often complain about the lack of children we're having, the lack of money we're spending, etc., while failing to acknowledge some research shows my generation make approximately 20% less than boomers did at the same stage in the life cycle. We're also not the age group that's setting policies right now, by and large.

3) People over the age of 50 raised my generation yet don't seem to want to acknowledge this when they complain about us.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I try not to lob many generational insults since I think there's always an air of superiority from one generation to the next. It's low-hanging fruit, IMO.

That said, there are a few things that have bothered me recently:

1) As a 'middle-aged' millennial, I feel like I don't have a ton in common with older millennials or younger millennials, yet we all routinely get lumped into one group. (as a disclaimer this happens with every age group, but since Millennials are the favorite generational punching bag these days...)

2) Some in the older generations often complain about the lack of children we're having, the lack of money we're spending, etc., while failing to acknowledge some research shows my generation make approximately 20% less than boomers did at the same stage in the life cycle. We're also not the age group that's setting policies right now, by and large.

3) People over the age of 50 raised my generation yet don't seem to want to acknowledge this when they complain about us.

It seems the "go to" insult for Millennials is that we're the "Everyone gets a trophy generation" which I find hilarious because that means our greatest sin was being parented by Boomers and Xers. 

• Plus1 1

I think generalizing an entire group of people born in any arbitrary 20-year period is stupid. There's just too many assumptions made when you do that.

I was born in 1991, so as a Millennial, I am supposed to be lazy, self-centered, entitled, lack loyalty, unmanageable, blah blah blah...I would guess that every generation ever in history has said these things about the young people. Sure, I am a different type of consumer than my parents because I got the internet before adulthood, but I really don't view myself as holding wildly different traits and values than what I received in my upbringing.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Enhance said:

Not to mention the lack of careers because of all the boomers in the work force, and the way that cost of living has ballooned while wages haven't even close to proportionately. 

There's also something to be said about the rise of 'gig' economy, with so many people working for themselves or finding particular hustles to make just enough money to enjoy life in the present instead of slaving at something they're miserable at for the hope of being free later. I'm a pretty generically cliche millenial in that regard, I suppose. The likelihood of me ever being able to buy a home or retire is slim to none. But I'm having a blast with the life I live (I say as I'm currently homeless :lol: )

• Plus1 1

Typically, people from one generation lumping one generation into a big pot and complaining about them frustrates me.

One example.  I know people who are in their upper 60s that complain about teenagers.  Gee.....that generation grew up in the 60s.  What do they think THEIR parent's generation thought of their long hair, drug infested, free love, rock and roll generation?

And, like others have said, who raised these younger generations?  If you don't want your kids to be losers, don't raise them to be losers?  (PS...I don't think younger generations are losers).

On the flip side, every once in a while I'll get a teenager who reacts to someone my age like...."You don't understand what it's like to be my age".  I just roll my eyes and think..."Yeah..I was born 50 years old".

Every generation is a complicated mess of inspiring, hardworking and amazing people....mixed in with a big mess if idiots that need to learn the ways of the world through experience.

Reality is, all generations go on to do some amazing things and make some big mistakes.

It's the circle of life.

• Plus1 1