IceMan’s Take on “Opener”

ScottyIce

3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

So, I have been at our first two “games” and I can say with a clear conscience, that atmosphere was much better last weekend.

Fans were good to start with today, but seemed to get tired or lazy in 2nd half. Once we took the lead, kinda felt like we coasted.

Then the fans came back to life late in the game. 

This was a tough game for fans to follow, so much happening all the time, with both teams running high tempo. 

Big Mistakes:

2 fumbles crushed 

missed FG

dropped JD pass in 4th quarter on 3rd and 15 to ice it.

dropped Morgan TD.

Bunch throwing ball out of bounce with chance to win.

Hit by Reed that ultimately cost us the game.

Play Call on Martinez Pick. (Should’ve ran and tried to end it behind the OL. IMO)

Loved:

Martinez play making ability.

TD pass to JD was best Husker pass I’ve seen in a long time. Perfect.

ground game was fantastic.

loved the d. Very good opening performance.

sacks were a sight for sore eyes.

Washington can juke and jive wow.

disliked:

pass call when Martinez threw a pick.

how we operated the clock late.

It ended up being correct because we needed the time,  but it sort of felt like we could’ve pounded it down their throats to win it 40 seconds at a time.

Looks like this is the start of something special. 

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I noticed the crowd was really out of it during Colorado's first drive of the half.

My wife made comment (and i thought same)... We can’t remeber a game where every timeout or break had as little of music, noise, or direction from the loudspeaker.  

I guess I’m not sure I’d put this lack of energy in the stadium just on the fans... 

20 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

So, I have been at our first two “games” and I can say with a clear conscience, that atmosphere was much better last weekend.

Fans were good to start with today, but seemed to get tired or lazy in 2nd half. Once we took the lead, kinda felt like we coasted.

Then the fans came back to life late in the game. 

This was a tough game for fans to follow, so much happening all the time, with both teams running high tempo. 

Big Mistakes:

2 fumbles crushed 

missed FG

dropped JD pass in 4th quarter on 3rd and 15 to ice it.

dropped Morgan TD.

Bunch throwing ball out of bounce with chance to win.

Hit by Reed that ultimately cost us the game.

Play Call on Martinez Pick. (Should’ve ran and tried to end it behind the OL. IMO)

Loved:

Martinez play making ability.

TD pass to JD was best Husker pass I’ve seen in a long time. Perfect.

ground game was fantastic.

loved the d. Very good opening performance.

sacks were a sight for sore eyes.

Washington can juke and jive wow.

disliked:

pass call when Martinez threw a pick.

how we operated the clock late.

It ended up being correct because we needed the time,  but it sort of felt like we could’ve pounded it down their throats to win it 40 seconds at a time.

Looks like this is the start of something special. 

Why doesnt this surprise me!!!

• Haha 1

Good points. We desperately need Honas to get up to speed, if that’s what is holding him back from playing. Playing your starting ILBs a ton of snaps, all season long is a recipe for disaster.

We need that cornerback room to keep competing, the young guys will have to step up. Bootle was impressive and Jackson seemed better but I don’t think either CB spot should be considered “locked up” at this point.

Otherwise, not too many complaints from me. Nice to see Ferguson play so well now that he has an official role.

4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I care.  I love hearing most people's takes, otherwise I wouldn't be here and (probably) neither would you.

Do I specifically care about this poster’s take, which is what my post pertained to? No, I do not.

However, if this poster were to put his opinion in the 3-4 threads which pertained to post-game reactions, I wouldn’t have a problem with his post. In comparison to his posts within the recruiting forums, this one was well thought and contained depth.

But, instead, the poster went out of his way to give himself a silly nickname and make his analysis seem self-absorbed. If everyone gave ourselves a silly nickname and created our own post on our own opinion after every game then the front page of this forum would be quite useless for 24-48 hours after a game. It’s not that I don’t appreciate the poster’s right to speak, it’s the way the poster acts, which is like a child that I don’t appreciate. If he were to put his opinions in the 3-4 threads pertaining to the game, nothing would be said.

• Plus1 2

I would have to agree that, although I was quite disappointed at the loss, I can see that there is great potential.  That being said, we still need a few more games to know where this team really is.  Is Colorado really a good team again this year as they were when the won their division recently?  Regardless, what I really noticed was the aggressiveness and physicality that seemed to be missing recently.