What Did We Learn? Michigan

The Duke

2 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Ah, I probably should have written "no matter how highly a recruit thought of Frost it casts doubt in the recruit's mind..."

Fan impatience can be a good thing if it is directed properly.  We may be too nice as a fanbase and place players above criticism.  Players need to earn their scholarship.

Frost's message of get on board because we're going to be good could be more for the recruits than current players.  It sucks that he has to deal with the current locker room attitude that has evolved 180 degrees from the one he experienced as a player and helped create as a player.  He might have identified a lack of pride when he first got here and hopes that the walkons will bring that back.  Whether the walkons can see the field or not, the instate kids at least bring the pride and work ethic.

I might not know what the answer is but less talented; less recruited in state kids defintely are not the answer 

1 minute ago, MountainMan said:

I might not know what the answer is but less talented; less recruited in state kids defintely are not the answer 

If you can get enough players that have realistic NFL aspirations they have something to play for and can pull a team forward with them.  As far as carrots and sticks, coaches have few sticks given guaranteed scholarships so I'm thinking of possible carrots to answer how to motivate players.  Pride is one thing I came up with.

7 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

If you can get enough players that have realistic NFL aspirations they have something to play for and can pull a team forward with them.  As far as carrots and sticks, coaches have few sticks given guaranteed scholarships so I'm thinking of possible carrots to answer how to motivate players.  Pride is one thing I came up with.

That doesn’t exist in state. It just doesn’t. 

11 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

Then we agree. Nebraska needs to pull top

ten classes to even have a chance 

To win a NC, probably correct.  To be competitive in games against teams in the top 25, I disagree.  Frankly I didn't watch the game today because I knew it would be a blowout and the team would give up.  The Troy game combined with recent years behavior gave enough hints this was coming.  I watched the complete Maryland vs. Minnesota game even though it was obvious within the first couple of series that Maryland was more talented then Minnesota.  What made it a great game to watch was even though Minnesota was obviously outclassed the gophers kept rowing the boat and never gave up.  Point is, we have enough talent to beat Troy and should have been competitive against Michigan.  It doesn't matter how good of coaches you have, the players have to want it.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Wisconsin has consistently proved this is not true. And before anyone says they haven’t won a title- kudos. But I’d bet my life savings everyone on this board would take Wisconsin’s run over the past decade 

Wisconsin's success is the outlier.  The top teams consistently pull in top 10 recruiting classes.  It's just math.

2 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Wisconsin's success is the outlier.  The top teams consistently pull in top 10 recruiting classes.  It's just math.

Thank you for pointing that out, I was not aware the teams who consistently win also consistently out recruit others. #newsflash

another newsflash- if you really wanna stand by that statement you might as well quite rooting for this team as we’ll never be a consistent top 10 recruiting progrum.

Why suffer if u have no hope for this team unless we consistently rank top 10 in recruiting (wont happen)

Here are a couple of true statements that are hopefully helpful in assessing where our offense is without being accused of "making excuses": 

1. Adrian Martinez is a true freshman that technically hasn't played one full game of football while being 100% healthy.

2. Frost's offense relies on a truly dual-threat quarterback.

Now, on to some opinions and some guesses:

-If he doesn't get hurt against Colorado, the odds of us holding the lead we had were probably extremely high.

-If he plays against Troy, we win that game.

-If he's 100% against Michigan, we see more variety of plays from him in the first quarter.

The thing I'm most worried about right now is some especially bad/not smart play by the defense at times against the run. It's as if at some in the middle of the 4th quarter against Troy the stout run defense we had seen for the past 7.5 quarters just went out the window.

• Plus1 1

Cupboard is bare folks!  We lack talent and depth.  This program was allowed to sink to new levels under Riley and his staff, even worse than they sank under Callahan.  Callahan at least recruit some talent, NFL talent.  Pelini at least got to coach some NFL players when he started.

Frost inherited a team that went 4-8 last season.  No matter what he recruited in here in the last 8 months, those players are not ready.

I learned that Michigan is head and shoulders more talented, experienced, and coached at this current time.  Harbaugh is in his 4th season.  Key is being patient enough for Frost to get this thing turned in that direction.  Once again, Harbaugh didn't inherit and bad roster.  He had some NFL talent upon arrival.  Nebraska has had 3 coaches in the last 5 seasons, 3 different systems, 3 different ways of recruiting.

Basically we are in a complete rebuild, retool, and reload for the future.  2001 was the last year we really were relevant, and even then we didn't have enough to compete with Miami.  This slide didn't happen overnight folks, its taken 17 years to reach rock bottom.  Bad decision after bad decision on hiring and firing has led to this and now if we don't stay the course, I think this thing is finished.

• Plus1 1

Once again just because we are Nebraska, doesn't mean we were getting anything close to top notch talent on this  roster in the last few years, 10+ years.  That thought process I have heard over and over each season after we get our rears kicked.  Then I would read on here and in the papers that our coaches weren't getting enough out of their players.  Some of that was true, but I think you are seeing that lack of talent and depth is why we were unable to compete with Ohio St and others in the last few years, not all coaching.  So that thought process has now taken effect before Frost even Coached a game here, when I was hearing predictions of 9-10 wins this season.  

Bottom line is we haven't had elite talent on this hallowed grounds since Dr. Tom retired.  We haven't been feared on anyones schedule since then either.  Patience.  

• Plus1 1