What Did We Learn? Michigan

The Duke

10 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Wisconsin's success is the outlier.  The top teams consistently pull in top 10 recruiting classes.  It's just math.

Wisconsin is not an outlier. They used the recipe that was successful for Nebraska for so long and now they are successful. The way Wisconsin plays today is exactly the same way the Huskers used to play in the 90s. We just need to go back to that. Also, our running backs are underperforming big time. Why? And by the way, why aren’t we using this kid Mazour? He seems to play with the Nebraska pride we want instilled in all our players. Let us face it, a kid from California is not going to have the Nebraska pride since he was not born when we last won a title and they did not grow up seeing and hearing about the Huskers. They might get it in their third or fourth year but not immediately. 

3 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Did you see any of our players that could outrun, out gain or out perform those we played against in the Big House?  Anyone?  Its a talent issue first.  It has always been that.  If the other team is faster and more physical, they more times than not will win.  Does anyone on here think that Saban's Bama teams win just soley based on his coaching?  He has a roster that on average is 2 deep at almost each postion with NFL draft picks.  Did he win championships at Michigan St, with lesser talent on that roster?    It takes both talent and coaching, but talent comes first.

I've mentioned it a couple times, but it is extremely concerning when a backup QB outruns your 4 star frosh OLB (Tannor) on the way to the end zone.  Maybe it was weariness, but watching Tannor run, he was running as hard as he was able.

Take away?  4 star guy, should be a speed position, and would lose 100 out of 100 races to MU's backup QB.  We need guys that close that gap quickly.

Also, Tyjon is a mystery.  Small and slow, not very elusive, bad decisions...

If I'm Frost, I play the hardest workers on the team.  I move positions if two of my toughest guys are same position.  I show entitled folks what hard work is, or show them the door.  

We have a history of walk-ons that have been servicable-to-great through hard work and dedication.  Maybe they don't win CFP alone, but I'd rather see ALL OUT war every snap then prima donnas expecting handouts.  Hell, I'll take 0-12 with a group that gives all they have, sold out for everything we stand for, then what I've seen from some.

Ultimately, we need the right talent.  It's not just __stars.  It's talent ready for a battle every second.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I am glad I put up 10+ years, not 18+ years!  Everytime people try to prove we have ample talent, they actually prove how far  off our rosters have been for the last few years.

You said...

21 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Bottom line is we haven't had elite talent on this hallowed grounds since Dr. Tom retired.  We haven't been feared on anyones schedule since then either.  Patience.  

I pointed out the fallacy of that statement.

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Have we recruited Big 10 caliber talent?  Even if we think we have recruited better talent overall than some teams in the past, it hasn't been up to Big 10 standards.  I don't care about equalling the talent at Minnesota or Iowa, we want to equal Wisconsin and the other upper echelon teams in the Big 10.  

Our starting offense has an average rating of about 88 according to 247.  The defense is about 86.  I think the talent is there.  The depth is a whole other issue at this point.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Have we recruited Big 10 caliber talent?  Even if we think we have recruited better talent overall than some teams in the past, it hasn't been up to Big 10 standards.  I don't care about equalling the talent at Minnesota or Iowa, we want to equal Wisconsin and the other upper echelon teams in the Big 10.  

What exactly is Big 10 talent?  I’d be happy to recruit football talent. 

And if we we have recruited talent equal to or better than other Big 10 schools, then we’re recruiting Big 10 caliber talent. The fact that we’re losing to them points in another direction. 

20 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I am glad I put up 10+ years, not 18+ years!  Everytime people try to prove we have ample talent, they actually prove how far  off our rosters have been for the last few years.

Three of the listed players have played within the last 10 years. 

I would include guys like Quincy Enunwa, Spencer Long, Rex Burkhead, Jared Crick and Randy Gregory. 

1 hour ago, Gage County said:

I learned that past comments from Frost on the UCF-Michigan game were used to motivate their team. Not only did Michigan come out to humble Frost, they flat out embarrassed him.

https://sports.yahoo.com/michigan-used-old-scott-frost-comments-motivation-blowout-win-nebraska-215913106.html

That's interesting.  I wonder what Purdue players think of Frost's comments that they're a beatable team.

• Plus1 1

I don't understand the comments about whether a given opponent fears the Huskers before the game.  I do not believe that Michigan-Michigan State fear each other, Ohio State - Michigan fear each other, Ohio State - Penn State, Wisconsin - Minnesota.  Pick a rivalry in the conference, and honestly tell me if you think either team fears the other?  Hate maybe but not fear