Husker Chalk Talk: Concept Wednesday - The Speed Option

Cdog923

That option play was also poorly spaced between Martinez and the RB. This falls on the RB. 

That would be the first thing in ensuring the RB can get the edge. The second is Martinez forcing the end to make a play on him. That's obviously easier said than done, but if he gets Gary to commit we are probably looking at a first down. I'll take my chances RB vs safety running full speed. That's an extremely tough tackle. 

16 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

That option play was also poorly spaced between Martinez and the RB. This falls on the RB. 

That would be the first thing in ensuring the RB can get the edge. The second is Martinez forcing the end to make a play on him. That's obviously easier said than done, but if he gets Gary to commit we are probably looking at a first down. I'll take my chances RB vs safety running full speed. That's an extremely tough tackle. 

All this might be due to inexperience.  Perhaps by the end of the season, and hopefully much sooner, our guys will execute much better.

22 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

This has been an issue with a lot of the options we've run.  Which isn't surprising.  It takes a lot of practice to get that timing/spacing down.  Especially when it's only a small part of the offense.  But it will be fun once they get it refined a bit.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think that is the point he is making. Trying to get 1 on 1 situations is good and all but when the other teams 1s are better than yours even that can fail pretty spectacularly 

No, it's not.  Apparently his definition of a good play is blocking every single defender.  Who cares if it's mathematically impossible?

On 9/26/2018 at 10:06 AM, Cdog923 said:

Almost the best thing about the program at this point are concept Wednesdays from HCT: https://huskerchalktalk.com/2018/09/26/concept-wednesday-more-option-please/

Why was Ozigbo running speed option when he should only be used going up the middle in short yardage situations?  Was Frost and co. trying to catch Michigan thinking that?  Meanwhile, the LB catches Oz for a short two yard gain when Washington would have broken it for ten.  

That Martinez play against Colorado still gets me, could have been a big gain.  I cringed when I saw Martinez keeping it and had a bad feeling almost immediately.  He is young and has a lot to learn but once it clicks for him, watch out, this offense is going to be lights out.

10 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

Why was Ozigbo running speed option when he should only be used going up the middle in short yardage situations?  Was Frost and co. trying to catch Michigan thinking that?  Meanwhile, the LB catches Oz for a short two yard gain when Washington would have broken it for ten.  

That Martinez play against Colorado still gets me, could have been a big gain.  I cringed when I saw Martinez keeping it and had a bad feeling almost immediately.  He is young and has a lot to learn but once it clicks for him, watch out, this offense is going to be lights out.

Probably to combat tendencies; if everyone expects dive/power from Ozigbo, they'll stack the box when he's in the game. 

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

Why was Ozigbo running speed option when he should only be used going up the middle in short yardage situations? 

Why do people keep asking this?

Question for you. How affective you do you think he would be if the opposing team KNOWS every time he is in the game it's going to be a run between the tackles?

This is a pretty simple concept.

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why do people keep asking this?

Question for you. How affective you do you think he would be if the opposing team KNOWS every time he is in the game it's going to be a run between the tackles?

This is a pretty simple concept.

It is embarrassing is all, seeing Oz get run down from behind by a linebacker who was clearly beat on the play from behind.  If you want to win games, you have to utilize your players better.  Put Washington in there, run him up the middle and outside, keep the defense guessing.  If it had been a faster back on the play he would have outran the linebacker, Oz simply doesn't put any fear into any defense running outside.