QB Transfers

Warrior

10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to red shirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part-time during your college career.

This is from NCAA.org.  These kids still have 5-years, that's it.  Simple question: Will Tristan Gebbia be able to play for Oregon State next year?  If "yes", we're wrong.  If "no", we're right.

Edit:  https://osubeavers.com/news/2018/9/3/football-tristan-gebbia-joins-oregon-state.aspx  Looks Like Gebbia can play next year.....I'm still confused...:dunno:D

I believe the "loophole" that was discovered last year was the player is ineligible for one year from the day they transfer.  So Gebbia would be eligible because he transferred before the season started.  

I think guys that are transferring now would be eligible after the first couple games next year - except grad transfers who would be eligible immediately.

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I believe the "loophole" that was discovered last year was the player is ineligible for one year from the day they transfer.  So Gebbia would be eligible because he transferred before the season started.  

I think guys that are transferring now would be eligible after the first couple games next year - except grad transfers who would be eligible immediately.

So next year, we'll have a whole new set of problems.  The Bryant kid from Clemson will go somewhere, the QB there now will see the writing on the wall and transfer this spring.  Leaving the backup to start the first 4 games of next year.....OMG!  The NCAA can't quit making things hard on themselves :)

Just now, funhusker said:

So next year, we'll have a whole new set of problems.  The Bryant kid from Clemson will go somewhere, the QB there now will see the writing on the wall and transfer this spring.  Leaving the backup to start the first 4 games of next year.....OMG!  The NCAA can't quit making things hard on themselves :)

Well ... Bryant will be eligible immediately, so that school won't have a problem.  But others could.

The only loophole that exists is for a grad transfer.  With some effort on the players part the player could red shirt during his true junior year at ABC College, graduate from ABC, transfer to XYZ and be eligible next fall with two years of elgibility remaining.

TG will be eligible at OSU next fall because he will have spent an entire academic year in residence at OSU.  Even though classes had started at UNL he was able drop out here and get to OSU before their classes started.  His five year clock started at UNL so he will have three years left on his clock and because he has never played anywhere can play all three years there.

26 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

If Bryant showed up on the sidelines now, Dabo would toss him in. Might lose to Syracuse because of the transfer.

chase brice made some nice throws in the second half. defense kept them in the game long enough for him to settle in though. hope lawrence isnt out too long. and even if he is, looks like clemson will keep rolling along with either bryant or brice.