Martinez vs Purdue

Undone

One thing I would like to see...and I don't know if this is on Martinez really...but Purdue ran quite a few what I would call ungardable routes. Short crossers, quick hitches, and in and outs. We run these same concepts and we got Martinez some easy completions but I'd honestly like to see a few more. Purdue ate us up with quick short routes. I suppose it would help if we could cut block as effectively as Purdue did

Getting nitpicky, but one thing I would really like to see Martinez get better at that could help our offense is attacking defenders on pitch options or RPO's.

He does a fantastic job in the zone read game but it seems to me he struggles a bit at attacking defenders on the outside for a pitch or quick throw to the reciever. We ran a few of these against Purdue and they worked with some success but I think that is one way we could see our offense evolve over the course of the season.

Martinez will get better at these little things with experience, time in the film room and practice. This can be said about every player on the team and I think that just goes to show how far we have to go, but also how good we can be. 

16 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Getting nitpicky, but one thing I would really like to see Martinez get better at that could help our offense is attacking defenders on pitch options or RPO's.

He does a fantastic job in the zone read game but it seems to me he struggles a bit at attacking defenders on the outside for a pitch or quick throw to the reciever. We ran a few of these against Purdue and they worked with some success but I think that is one way we could see our offense evolve over the course of the season.

Martinez will get better at these little things with experience, time in the film room and practice. This can be said about every player on the team and I think that just goes to show how far we have to go, but also how good we can be. 

I agree that Martinez needs to improve this aspect, but mastering the mesh point will improve for Martinez as he gets more reps.  He split reps in fall practice with Gebbia, and then he has been limited in practices after the CU game.  As he gets more reps in practice and in games, I expect Martinez to improve this aspect of Frost's offense. 

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that Martinez needs to improve this aspect, but mastering the mesh point will improve for Martinez as he gets more reps.  He split reps in fall practice with Gebbia, and then he has been limited in practices after the CU game.  As he gets more reps in practice and in games, I expect Martinez to improve this aspect of Frost's offense. 

Definetly. I pointed it out just to say there are so many little things that could make us better that can be improved upon with more experience across the board. I can just imagine we can get this offense clicking later in the season when we tighten these little aspects up. Then we can forget anyone was ever questioning Frosts offensive wizardry.

• Plus1 1

He's going to be very good, barring injury.  He's a very dynamic runner with great ability to escape when necessary.  He has a strong arm and has displayed some tremendous accuracy with the deep ball.  He's going to get bigger and stronger.  He's also going to be an expert with this offense in the next few years, which means the timing routes, the option reads, etc are only going to improve.

On September 30, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Undone said:

Maybe need a little positivity this morning. Martinez was so good yesterday. I think he has as much total potential as just about any Husker true freshman quarterback of the last 30 years.

He threw for 323 yards and ran for 91. We had 582 yards of total offense - the third time we had more offensive yards than the other team out of four games. This kid is extremely special and it kind of feels like it's getting drowned out by being 0-4, but it shouldn't.

I could watch this clip all day:

zKM0Ky.gif

I mean...wow. Talk about having the whole package. As a true freshman. He releases the ball knowing Spielman is going to beat his man and drops it into the only spot that allows Spielman to haul it in. 

Pretty incredible stuff in my opinion.

It's so refreshing to see a Nebraska QB set his feet and step into a throw. Watching guys fall away all these years, even when it worked out, just killed me. 

42 minutes ago, ArcticHusker said:

It's so refreshing to see a Nebraska QB set his feet and step into a throw. Watching guys fall away all these years, even when it worked out, just killed me. 

That TD throw is up there among the best from a Nebraska QB, really excited to see Martinez develop. The interception was pretty much exactly what you mentioned, but we should see more of the great throws and fewer poor ones over time. He throws a really pretty ball when it all goes right for sure